Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy motorway be built? [project approved]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

KC161 wrote: »
    Is there another thread for this?

They have been talking about this bypass for over 20 years now.

What will the routing of it be?
    Big thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055297495

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

They had better get the finger out on this motorway because the Port authorities are expecting all container traffic to be operational in Ringaskiddy at the start of 2020.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tivoli-docks-redevelopment-plan-includes-4000-houses-456659.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    They had better get the finger out on this motorway because the Port authorities are expecting all container traffic to be operational in Ringaskiddy at the start of 2020.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tivoli-docks-redevelopment-plan-includes-4000-houses-456659.html
    It will be very safe and result in total peaceful silence and 100% pure air were these trucks hurtling down the single lane N28 Sli Carrigdhoun as at present.

Submissions to ABP close next week (18th August). Oral hearing to follow and decision to be made in 2018. If approved, funding needs to be found to proceed to advance works & construction.

Hopefully sense is seen and Cork can finally join the 21st century.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

I used to live on the Douglas side of Maryborough Hill. Would be delighted to see this go through - major benefits for whole region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Chaos this morning with Carr's Hill closed due to an accident and no decent alternative route available.

The "Steering Group" are waxing lyrical about how Douglas will be destroyed with traffic. A new Lidl has recently been given planning permission in the centre of Douglas which is likely to add greatly to the problem and yet not a peep out of them.

• Advertisement

Last day for submissions to ABP was last Friday so it's time to wait for a decision on the matter.

With a bit of luck sense will be seen.. another crash like todays (which wouldn't happen if you were shoving 27000 vehicles a day down a boreen) will see more and more trucks diverted through residential areas. Have the local geniuses thought about this? And the 3km tailbacks through Rochestown today?

Some "insightful" information from the Steering Group here: https://www.facebook.com/M28-Steering-Group-175111606272101/

I won't comment on it because I don't want to get banned but I hope ABP's shredder is ready for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

marno21 wrote: »
    Some "insightful" information from the Steering Group here: https://www.facebook.com/M28-Steering-Group-175111606272101/

I won't comment on it because I don't want to get banned but I hope ABP's shredder is ready for business.

Marno, you seem to have more experience with this "Steering Group" than myself. Do you know why they seem to believe constructing a motorway to divert traffic away from Douglas onto a road with no exits in Douglas will result in more traffic in Douglas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Marno, you seem to have more experience with this "Steering Group" than myself. Do you know why they seem to believe constructing a motorway to divert traffic away from Douglas onto a road with no exits in Douglas will result in more traffic in Douglas?

The alleged representative on here, once grilled, admitted that his sole concern was his property value and that any means possible to "protect" that would be used.

To be honest; I don't. I also don't understand why they are still running with several arguments that have been conclusively disproven on here and in the officially published EIS; some of which we have explained to them about how the condition will IMPROVE after the M28 is built but they don't seem to want to accept them. It seems at this stage they are just doing it for the sake of it and are recruiting large volumes of people by brainwashing them.

The primary representative on here argued until he was conclusively defeated and then just turned to straight out lies and abuse until he was politely shown the door.
    L1011 wrote: »
    The alleged representative on here, once grilled, admitted that his sole concern was his property value and that any means possible to "protect" that would be used.

His property value will likely increase after the M28 is built because of the less traffic congestion in the area after it opens. In most places house values increase due to more attractive commuting options and better access after opening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

This is going to cause alot of hassle.

M28 still not needed say the residents who object?

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/907949424814559233

3rd death on Cork's pathetic national road network this week.

3rd death on Cork's pathetic national road network this week.

Both roads are awaiting motorway upgrades.

Over on the journal.ie people are blaming the tractor driver.

Is this not another reason for the people opposed to this to actually support it?

I travel that road weekly, it definitely shouldn't be a 100 zone, even though the tractor obviously couldn't do it.

My aunt lives in Carrigaline, she said it's more dangerous than the Forrest road on the opposite side of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

Can anyone advise when the decision is due from An Bord Pleanala? It's September if I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Golfer50

ABP site says . .

What happens then? Proceeds to planning?

What happens then? Proceeds to planning?
    Planning is done.

Advance works, CPO and tender are the key parts. Availability of funding could mean a late 2019/2020 start if approved.

Of course the lovely residents of Rochestown will likely file an appeal which will delay

Planning is done.

Advance works, CPO and tender are the key parts. Availability of funding could mean a late 2019/2020 start if approved.

Of course the lovely residents of Rochestown will likely file an appeal which will delay

How did those residents get in with their fundraiser to challenge the legality of the project?

It's badly needed and all they want is money to shut up.

Are the CPO's complicated?

How did those residents get in with their fundraiser to challenge the legality of the project?

It's badly needed and all they want is money to shut up.

Are the CPO's complicated?
    They are still going; I didn't realise but there's an Oral Hearing on the project soon in Carrigaline: https://www.facebook.com/M28-Steering-Group-175111606272101/

CPOs would be fairly straightforward.

• Advertisement

That article would genuinely make you want to drive your head through the wall.

No wonder Buttimer lost his seat if this is his carry on.

Where was Ger Harrington when the N28 Sli Carrigdhoun was built in the 90s? Surely that's responsible for the destruction of the Mulcon Valley? Given that the new road is simply being built on top of it?

That article would genuinely make you want to drive your head through the wall.

No wonder Buttimer lost his seat if this is his carry on.

Where was Ger Harrington when the N28 Sli Carrigdhoun was built in the 90s? Surely that's responsible for the destruction of the Mulcon Valley? Given that the new road is simply being built on top of it?

I had a headache reading it.

Buttimer is living in a bubble, i met him canvassing during the last general election and he was highly confident of getting back it, some slap in the face for him.

All he is doing is trying to get these people onside in a huge electoral area to get back into the Dail.

Ger Harrington isn't a young man by no means and would have been more than able to speak out on Mulcon Valley, i'd be curious as to why not then but he will now.

The Ambassador is about 2 miles from where i live, i think i'll make a visit if i'm not working that day.

Any other boardsies interested?

I'll buy the coffee's ;)

Does anybody know what the format is for an oral hearing? The letter from ABP says that written submissions already received should be taken as read. As the closing date for such submissions has already passed, what exactly will happen in the Ambassador Hotel?

I believe the Rochestown Park was deemed unsuitable because of the noise of the trucks passing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

It's kind of ironic than the residents are complaining about poor transport links to the north side of the city, for one measly meeting, yet are trying to block one of the most important infrastructure projects for Cork City's growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Golfer50 wrote: »

I suspect you knew the answer to your question before you even asked here.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I suspect you knew the answer to your question before you even asked here.

Eh?

Golfer50 wrote: »
    Eh?
    Golfer50, not sure if I asked you this before..

Can I ask what your objections are please?

• Advertisement

I had a headache reading it.

Buttimer is living in a bubble, i met him canvassing during the last general election and he was highly confident of getting back it, some slap in the face for him.

All he is doing is trying to get these people onside in a huge electoral area to get back into the Dail.

Ger Harrington isn't a young man by no means and would have been more than able to speak out on Mulcon Valley, i'd be curious as to why not then but he will now.

The Ambassador is about 2 miles from where i live, i think i'll make a visit if i'm not working that day.

Any other boardsies interested?

I'll buy the coffee's ;)
    Maybe Buttimer realises that the entire area that benefits from the M28 is his constituency, and he appears to be objecting to it.

Try telling the family of the woman who sadly died on the jokeshop that is the N28 this year along with the many users of the N28 in Carrigaline, Shanbally etc along with the companies who have set up out that direction that he's not a fan.

He's backing a "campaign" here but the campaign is a lot smaller than the people who stand to benefit from the M28 going ahead. Little do the campaign realise that they also stand to gain from the M28 but they're too blind to see it.

Regarding the oral hearing; I'd have trouble justifying taking a day off work and a return N20 trip for it to be honest. Hopefully TII and RPS have good speakers there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement