Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost of Speeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Utter bullsh1t from Rossy the populist. Penalty points are more of a deterrent than a fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pontoonz

i object,

the speed cameras are always in the accident blackspots, and it is not a money making exercise

(ie they don't just set up a handy camera to trap drivers leaving the 50 km zone)

ps you can believe the word of the speed-trap-operator

very honest people

honest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How are penalty points not a deterrent?
    Do rich people have to get more penalty points before they are put off the road?

Nonsense proposal.

Really rich people could just pay a poor person in a brown envelope to say they were driving their car back from carwash.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    How are penalty points not a deterrent?
    Do rich people have to get more penalty points before they are put off the road?

Nonsense proposal.

Really rich people could just pay a poor person in a brown envelope to say they were driving their car back from carwash.

i beg your pardon,

we may not be rich enough to pay our "speeding fines",

but we'e rich in other ways,

but ya if juddge f says were a criminal, why not, it's her game by her rules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

That proposal is sh*te
    A better way would be the more you are over the limit , the higher the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Preposterous suggestion. That is all. Doesn't even deserve debate. Justice should be blind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Good in theory but on any drive you see hundreds speeding.
    This sounds like we are fishing for the big specimen fish, not the shoals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The government spend a lot of time thinking up things like this, which is not a very important issue. People dying on the roads is important but is there even any evidence that this initiative will save lives? Like the automatic off the road if any drink has been taken initiative recently?

There are so many more important issues to address. I think they should start with the trolley crisis as it is getting out of hand and would without a doubt save lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Speeding fines can go shyte. E-Flow bills.. now they can bite hard, very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

pontoonz wrote: »
    i object,

the speed cameras are always in the accident blackspots, and it is not a money making exercise

(ie they don't just set up a handy camera to trap drivers leaving the 50 km zone)

ps you can believe the word of the speed-trap-operator

very honest people

honest

I know a 50kph zone outside a school they sit at often 10-11pm at night, road has hard shoulder left and right side and isnt a designated accident blackspot. Hard to convince me it isnt a coffer collector

• Advertisement

The government spend a lot of time thinking up things like this, which is not a very important issue. People dying on the roads is important but is there even any evidence that this initiative will save lives? Like the automatic off the road if any drink has been taken initiative recently?

There are so many more important issues to address. I think they should start with the trolley crisis as it is getting out of hand and would without a doubt save lives.

But the HSE is hard to solve. "Speederz are bad" is an easy sell. Sure who could argue? It's H & S ffs? "Speeders are bad geezers".

Someone has to keep the utter imbeciles in a job. The RSA seems to have stepped up to the task.. them and the HSA..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Excellent move from the minister. Well done Shane.

I know a 50kph zone outside a school they sit at often 10-11pm at night, road has hard shoulder left and right side and isnt a designated accident blackspot. Hard to convince me it isnt a coffer collector

that's one unique instance,

and i'm sure the "speeder" was advised of the fine by registered post?

being honest and all that

honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

No such thing as a bad idea when it comes to filling the government's coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I usually find the best way to avoid these fines is to drive within the speed limit. Worked for me since 1987 anyway.

Excellent move from the minister. Well done Shane.

applause,

well done lord ross,

hammer the people who can't afford to pay your salary through "false fines",

i would love lord ross to stop me and tell me tax was out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I never got a fine in my life and I earn little, and even I think it's a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Pinch Flat wrote:
    I usually find the best way to avoid these fines is to drive within the speed limit. Worked for me since 1987 anyway.

Nice. Is she a thoroughbred?

I never got a fine in my life and I earn little, and even I think it's a bad idea.

bless your innocence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Tailgaters and blind overtakers should have their cars limited to 20 km/h. Arrogant and dangerous driving is a far greater problem than doing 140 on an empty motorway.

• Advertisement

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Tailgaters and blind overtakers should have their cars limited to 20 km/h. Arrogant and dangerous driving is a far greater problem than doing 140 on an empty motorway.
    Both are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

pontoonz wrote: »
    bless your innocence

**blinks innocently** :o

diomed wrote: »
    Both are.

So how come no effort is put into the first, while the easy prey of the second has all the time in the world put into it by Official Ireland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No such thing as a bad idea when it comes to filling the government's coffers.
    We are giving away a €300 million hospital to a charity that won't be staffing it or paying for it's upkeep or , well what exactly are they going to do with this asset ??

We are also paying €300m extra for another hospital because the "price has gone up" by a third in the last three years. (from €404 in 2012 to €1,070 and rising) And they are blaming labour costs ?
    Up to 1,700 construction jobs over 4 years works out at €44K a year EXTRA !

Speeding fines only "raise" €70m a year (not counting the €16m a year contract) so they are only a rounding error for govt wate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Surely that can't be legal? You can't have two people in front of you in court for the same offence and fine one more than the other because of their earnings?

Surely that can't be legal? You can't have two people in front of you in court for the same offence and fine one more than the other because of their earnings?

Fines should start from a deterrent base and increase to a percentage of earnings. Otherwise, a fine for motoring offences will be seen as an incidental cost and not a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Penalty points are the deterrent. The entire reason they were brought in was to act as a deterrent to wealthy people to whom the fines meant little. This is absolute bollox of the highest order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Fines should start from a deterrent base and increase to a percentage of earnings. Otherwise, a fine for motoring offences will be seen as an incidental cost and not a deterrent.

So two people commit the same offence and one gets fined more than the other? That's completely unfair. Your deterrent is to stop the points mounting up! Regardless of your earnings.

Not at all. One worked harder than the other, got up earlier and put in waay more effort - obviously you fine them far more than the lazy cnut who stayed in bed and hit snooze. It's the new real. Didn't you get the memo?

• Advertisement

So how come no effort is put into the first, while the easy prey of the second has all the time in the world put into it by Official Ireland?
    Whataboutery, excusing something by comparing it to something unrelated.

The police try to make the roads safer by charging people who commit major offences: driving without motor tax, motor licence, motor insurance, NCT, and who drink and drive, take drugs and drive, exceed the speed limit, drive using a mobile phone. I'm guessing here, but my guess is people who are guilty of one of the above offences are candidates for many of the other offences.

You think effort should be put into catching tailgaters and blind overtakers. How would you prove these offences?

Advertisement