Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Cost of Speeding

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly this country is obsessed with speeding sometimes in the media and I feel myself speeding as a cause of death is being overstated as a factor. Rather its not simply speeding that kills its incompetency as well. Were a small country as well sure its awful when people die its gonna happen now and again I just feel the whole subject is overhyped to the point its making people indifferent to the subject.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have 6 points. Besides the cost of the fines, it also added 300 Euro PA to my insurance, and has added an extra complexity to job hunting. 300 x 3 is 900 so it's actually cost me over 1000 euro.
    That euro a day is a lot less than you spend on petrol

In the future all cars will most likely have GPS tracking.

Technically this is happening already because your phones location is constantly monitored to connect you to the best base station, it's just that the information isn't handed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

This makes the point better than I ever could.

Of course, it's no point at all, and you know it.
    Taken to its logical conclusion, the 'point' seems to be that there is no sanction too severe for any offence, no matter how trivial, because, "You shouldn't have done it in the first place".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Taken to its logical conclusion, the 'point' seems to be that there is no sanction too severe for any offence, no matter how trivial, because, "You shouldn't have done it in the first place".
    That's not the point that is being made, or rather refuted. What this article is denying is the laughable claims of "stealth tax" or that the fines will impossible to avoid. The limits are covered in the rules of the road, the theory test, the EDT, the driving test and then the roads themselves are littered with signs that state what the limit is at that location. In my opinion we have too many signs, but that's another discussion. The car is fitted with a speedo that has a tolerance built in. If travelling too fast, simply lift your right foot. If necessary, put it back down again, but slightly to the left. Or not. But whatever you decide to do, don't whinge about it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

No, just one law, which is punitive on those who can least afford it and lax on those who can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

A speeding fine is not a tax it is punishment for breaking the law. Whether you can afford it or not you still broke the law. Dont do the crime dont have a fine. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wibbs wrote: »
    Look at the overall road stats for crashes, deaths and injuries over the last 40 years.

I'd say it correlates very nicely with car safety advances and better roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Mini850 wrote: »
    Road deaths have com way down since the 70s when they were up over the 600 people per year mark, but for the last 6 or 7 years, they have sort of stuck around the 160 to 190 mark, going up or down each year. The decrease from the 70s is due to safer (but faster) cars, more driver awareness and training and all that jazz.
    I think the reduction is due to motorways.
    In the 1970s it was one lane roads to the west of Ireland (and probably everywhere else).
    On any journey there were dozens of side road junctions, crossroads, blind corners, pedestrians, bicycles, animals (cows, sheep), towns and villages to drive through.
    These accident hazards were removed when motorways were built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

This scheme is ridiculous because a court case for speeding can't uncover the financial detail that a lengthy divorce case can.

I earn €40k, my neighbour earns €60k. But I'm single, he supports a family, and is paying for an elderly relative to live in a retirement home. I'm renting, he's €100k in negative equity. Thanks to our progressive tax system, that €20k difference in income is only worth €9600 in the pocket, and it won't go far with the above expenses.

We both get caught "speeding" at 35kph. Which of us can afford the bigger fine?

This is why penalty points are a better idea. They level the playing pitch.

Question on points: do we actually ban people who reach 12 active points in Ireland? Over the last number of months I've been reading about a number of cases in the UK where the drivers reached the 12 point mark and nothing happened. If memory serves, there was one chap driving around with 60+ points and still not banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Question on points: do we actually ban people who reach 12 active points in Ireland? Over the last number of months I've been reading about a number of cases in the UK where the drivers reached the 12 point mark and nothing happened. If memory serves, there was one chap driving around with 60+ points and still not banned.

Be interesting to see if your insurance is valid if you're at 12 points.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if your insurance is valid if you're at 12 points.
    I'd have to take a look at the policy. Requesting a quote and stating that you've got 12 points would most likely cause the insurance company to decline your business. However, if you had a policy in place already, racked up 12 points in short order and kept them informed as required as the points arrived, I don't know how they could react.

Advertisement