Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MaccyDs - 40 years in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Gross. Hate McDonald's because of the clown. All I need is my local Chinese to put a clown guarding the door and I'd never have takeaway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm imagining a group* of hipsters hanging arounding the corner asking teenagers to go in and order them a Big Mac.

* A group of unique individuals

I see them all the time in the pub with their brogues and funny little beards staring enviously at my Heineken,trying not to let their pals lorcan and fionn catch them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Gross. Hate McDonald's because of the clown. All I need is my local Chinese to put a clown guarding the door and I'd never have takeaway

They got rid of the clown few years ago.

Enjoy your big mac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

The McMor is a special treat to be savoured only infrequently. (It's a special)
    I usually go for a medium Big Mac meal with a coffee. The frappuccinos and sundaes are pure bliss though. I would only go once maybe every two months for a meal and that would be it. Too much of it can't be good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Last summer they had this monopoly game where you had to collect tokens on the food packaging to try and win prizes.

Well f*ck it I was as fat as fool for the few weeks the promotion ran and the place was packed everyday. Genius marketing.

There's definitely something in the 'food' which doesn't make you feel full so you'll go back up and buy more, I could literally eat nuggets for hours without feeling in anyway full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

endacl wrote: »
    Fun fact: George Hook was offered the first McDonalds franchise here, and turned it down because he thought Irish people wouldn't eat meals without plates and cutlery.

Interesting, anywhere to read more about this?
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    uuuuggghhh, I had a McDonalds meal last week and it destroyed my insides for a few days. I vow to never eat there again.....but I know that it'll happen again in a few weeks.

As mentioned earlier, the movie 'The Founder' is well worth watching to see how it spread rapidly accross the US initially.

How did it destroy your inside for days?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Where is your local? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I know that in many ways McDonalds are an evil abomination on this earth, but I have ate a fair few burgers there over the years. Some of them even tasted good at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Steve F wrote: »
    Anyone remember that story about someone buying a happy meal and leaving it in an office for months and months and it didn't rot?
    Also,are their fries really potato or just flour? :confused:

Made from 100% real Irish potatoes.

You can just picture their management laughing their arses off at that as they watch some lad plop a single potato (100% made in Ireland though!) into an Olympic swimming pool sized vat of shite. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Your man ate the stuff for breakfast , lunch and dinner for 30 days or something.

I really don't think once a week would do any harm.

I see all the fools in work eating salads and tuna and a chicken and dry rice, mouldy avacado and the look on their faces, They hate it. Why bother.

Healthy Food Me Hole :D

It [Supersize Me] also turned out to probably be made up (not that eating McDonalds regularly is good for you)!
    The Fallacy:
    Here's the thing: No one has been able to replicate Spurlock's results, and even basic math disputes the claim that his McDiet consisted of 5,000 calories a day.

As Tom Naughton points out in his documentary, Fat Head, there's simply no way Spurlock could have been eating that much food if he was sticking to his own rules. A large Big Mac meal clocks in at "just" 1,450 calories, and it's by far one of the fattiest items on the menu. This means that even Supersizing lunch and dinner every day and adding dessert falls well short of the 5,000 calories a day Spurlock's nutritionist claims he was consuming. In an effort to find out just exactly what the hell, Naughton attempted to contact Spurlock to obtain his food log, but Spurlock (who makes a huge deal in his documentary about McDonald's never calling him back) never called him back.

Meanwhile, researchers from the Making Sure Movies Aren't Stupid department of Sweden's University of Linkoping tried to replicate Spurlock's experiment by tasking healthy college students with the challenge of eating 6,000 calories of fast food per day, inadvertently also answering the question "What's the easiest way to get guinea pigs ever?" At the end of the 30 days, the students had none of the liver or cholesterol troubles Spurlock reported. According to the guy in charge of the experiment (aka an actual scientist, not the guy who created MTV's I Bet You Will), the students' metabolism was able to adapt to the extra amount of food they were eating. They did feel more tired, but none of them experienced the mood swings and depression Spurlock claimed to have endured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The chances of getting a burger in McDonalds in Ireland that even slightly resembles what is on the display is close to Nil.
    Was in Germany for a while recently and there was a McD nearby, a world of a difference. Fresh crispy salad on hot burger, always fresh and tasty, almost gourmet compared to what they throw at you here. (Ok.. gourmet is probably a stretch, but you get the point :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Watch the movie " The Founder ". If that's accurate, Mr. Kroc certainly lived up to his name.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

McDonalds did a major refurb of all their outlets over the past few years and now they are very modern, warm and contemporary - puts other fast food joints to shame. Also their coffee is miles ahead of Starbucks. Actually, their McCafes are very good.

McD's gets a lot of bad press that it doesn't deserve.

I'd rate KFC as the worst fast food chain in Ireland. Poorly run, cleanliness leaves a lot to be desired even though I do like the Colonel's original 3 piece chicken.

Ive seen inebriated hipsters eating in MaccyDs. But often alone!:D

The McMor is a great burger but I'd have to rate BK's Whopper as superior to the Big Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'll admit, the initial taste is good but it's so unfilling and leaves me feeling pretty wretched so it's not worth it I have it maybe 3 times a year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Love a double cheeseburger every now and then. 2 euro for a tasty little burger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

McDonalds?

Never heard of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

You must be from Roscommon..

..Or Leitrim

The epic McMor burger. Now I'm hungry!:D

MI-mcdonalds-mcmor-burger.jpg

I just hope it's a more permanent item than their big burgers in years past.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Worked there for 2 years during my teens after school, some of the best days of my life, 15 years later and I still have friends I made at Mc Donalds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Worked there for 2 years during my teens after school, some of the best days of my life, 15 years later and I still have friends I made at Mc Donalds

Is one of them the Hamburglar?

• Advertisement

When the first McDonalds in Ireland opened in 1977...

Contraception was still illegal
    Women had just got the right to serve on trial juries
    Divorce was illegal
    Gay sex was illegal
    Ireland had a population of about 3.2 million and about 52% of that was urban
    There were only about 7 or 8 short sections of dual carriageway and no motorways
    The troubles in Northern Ireland were close to their height
    Ireland's GNP was about 60% of the EU average
    Dublin was undergoing a demolition spree for new office blocks
    Galway was smaller than Waterford
    Church-run Mother and baby homes were still in operation around the country
    Agriculture accounted for over 20% of the national economy
    Ireland's telephone system was antiquated, overloaded and many rural areas had manual exchanges

How times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Theoretically I'd never step foot in there as the burgers just taste rubbish compared to a home made one with all fresh salads and hand crafted rissoles. Yet, the odd time I pop in when I can't be arsed thinking about what to eat. I mostly have the wraps unless I'm hungover then its double cheeseburger.
    I eat the brekky a bit too with the kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

// Google's rissoles. Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ranjo wrote: »
    Theoretically I'd never step foot in there as the burgers just taste rubbish compared to a home made one with all fresh salads and hand crafted rissoles. Yet, the odd time I pop in when I can't be arsed thinking about what to eat. I mostly have the wraps unless I'm hungover then its double cheeseburger.
    I eat the brekky a bit too with the kids.
    Do you actually refer to your own cooking as "hand crafted"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Hipster alert. Rissole is a bit of a giveaway.

Is one of them the Hamburglar?

You must be a fast learner if you hadn't even heard of McDonalds an hour before this post. Wikipedia is your friend I guess.

Of course, why not?

Of course, why not?

Do you apply a secret sauce also?

Do you apply a secret sauce also?

No secret. Just ketchup or mayo, maybe BBQ. depends what I feel like on the day. You've lost me with your line if questioning tbh..

• Advertisement

No secret. Just ketchup or mayo, maybe BBQ. depends what I feel like on the day. You've lost me with your line if questioning tbh..

Not surprised.

Advertisement