Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MaccyDs - 40 years in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Like it when i'm in a rush, but if you have seen the film the founder. Turns out the guy who created was a complete d***, not the guys who actually invented the speedy kitchen and where actually called mcDonald. Completely screwed the real founders out of about a billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why are they not in Leitrim and Roscommon?

You cant barter a donkey for a big mac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

2 euro for 6 chicken nuggets.

Easy as.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Your man ate the stuff for breakfast , lunch and dinner for 30 days or something...

The whole premise was such a load of nonsense.

If I drank olive oil for 30 days, I'm sure there would be some changes in my body, higher cholesterol, weight gain etc. Think of the urine analysis after surviving on asparagus for 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Why are they not in Leitrim and Roscommon?

Because nobody cares about counties except for the GAA. They want to put them where people live rather than by some random centuries old division.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There's a lot of anti McDonalds food snobbery out there but the occasional McDs is ok as long as you don't eat there every day.

I know people say that McDonalds tastes the same wherever you go in the world but I don't think that's the case at all. The burgers do vary. McD's burgers in the States are very bland and nowhere near as nice as here. The tastiest McDs I ever had was in Germany.

I probably went to my first McDonalds as a 3 or 4 year old. That's like 1979 or so. Wow!! How time flies! I loved McDonalds as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The whole premise was such a load of nonsense.

If I drank olive oil for 30 days, I'm sure there would be some changes in my body, higher cholesterol, weight gain etc. Think of the urine analysis after surviving on asparagus for 30 days.

I think that's a little facetious. The consumption levels of fast food is a serious health concern, the US lead the way and a lot followed. I'm sure there are plenty of people eating fast food only diets or diets comprised mainly of fast food.

I would be shocked if there was anyone out there on an olive oil or asparagus diet.

It was extreme in order to prove a point but I wouldn't call it nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

It's funny how back in 80's/90's it was seen as such a treat for kids. But fast forward late 90's early 00's some kids lived on the stuff simply i think their parents couldn't cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Growing up in Belfast, our closest McDs was in dublin. No trip down would be complete without a visit. And we'd often keep the bag it came in. Then they came to Belfast around the time I got my driving licence. And I went once or twice then gave up on it until I had kids.

It's seen as progress, or putting a place on the map when it gets its own McDonalds. Everyone is excited. Then they yearn for the time when they didn't have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brad Socrates Osmund

My enduring memory of McDonald's as a kid is that of my younger sister grabbing as many 'Happy Hats' as she could and running up to every kid she could find and shouting 'DON'T BE SAD, BE HAPPY, WITH A HAPPY HAT!' and crowning them accordingly. She was quite an eccentric kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Handy if you're in a strange place (insert country/town joke here) and you just want a quick bit of fast food. You can usually do far better with a decent italian chipper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As countries go, McDonalds came to Ireland quite early.

First country McDs opened in Europe was Holland in 1971. Germany later in 1971. France in 1972, Sweden in 1973 and UK in 1974.

Ireland in 1977 along with Austria.

Came late to Southern Europe - Italy in 1985, Greece in 1991 and Portugal in 1992.

Russia in 1990 - at the time, the Moscow McDonalds was the largest in the world. There would be queues 3 hours long to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

McDonald's need to entice kids into their "restaurants" with the aid of toys.

Says a lot about the confidence that have in the quality of their own food.

Like all those breweries that make expensive ads that have nothing to do with beer instead of boasting about how good they think their beer is and why.

PARlance wrote: »
    I think that's a little facetious. The consumption levels of fast food is a serious health concern, the US lead the way and a lot followed. I'm sure there are plenty of people eating fast food only diets or diets comprised mainly of fast food.

I would be shocked if there was anyone out there on an olive oil or asparagus diet.

It was extreme in order to prove a point but I wouldn't call it nonsense.

Oh I agree to the extent that fast food is bad. It was the way he portrayed it as some serious impact on his health after 30 days, as if he had martyred himself to make the point, that irritated me. You ate chips and burgers for 30 days, jee whizz of course your cholesterol reading was off the charts. But to portray it as putting his body on the line...naaaaa. Eat it every day for 20 years, drink pints and smoke fags for 10 years...if you claim to do something that tests the body, don't dip your toe in the water and run away screaming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭pontoonz

old macdonalds gotta lotta shops

e i e i o

and in dem shops he's got a lotta meat

e i e i o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

RayM wrote: »
    First time I was ever brought to McDonalds, I cried because they didn't serve fish fingers or beans, and my parents had to bring me home. :)
    I was 28 years old.

This explains a lot. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

McDonalds, by their own admission, is a property company, not a fast food company. They sell burgers to control corners. So not unlike The Wire. It's all about the corners. The shyte burgers are secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Steve F wrote: »
    Anyone remember that story about someone buying a happy meal and leaving it in an office for months and months and it didn't rot?
    Also,are their fries really potato or just flour? :confused:

Yes, they are potato. Russet Burbank usually and there is a batter on them.

Zebra3 wrote: »

Like all those breweries that make expensive ads that have nothing to do with beer instead of boasting about how good they think their beer is and why.

My 4 year old daughter regularly asks me to go in and get a toy (or balloon) from McDonalds. No food, just a toy.

Our childminder had brought her in for a happy meal once when she was 2. Her first and only time. She still remembers feeling sick after it.

But it's amazing, as soon as she sees those golden arches, she screams McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'm 44 years old and have never eaten in a McDonalds. I'm very proud of that. I did vomit in one once but that was alcohol related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

There is a definite snobbery attached to wanting to be seen to never even enter a McDonald's.

Honestly, an occasional bit of McDonald's can be pleasant enough, although you don't feel stuffed to the gills afterwards, which may not be a bad thing when you think about it.

My own personal fast food pet hate is KFC, it really does nothing for me at all, others obviously would disagree with that, but it's all down to personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Zebra3 wrote: »

It's actually a Fvcking great idea when you think about it, and a model followed by every other fast food chain you can care to think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I'm 44 years old and have never eaten in a McDonalds. I'm very proud of that. I did vomit in one once but that was alcohol related.

So you are boasting about never having eaten in McDonalds but you drink to excess to the point where you vomited. Classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'd have sworn there was way more than 80 maccy D's in Ireland. It seems like they're everywhere.

Don't mind the odd McDonald's, they have the best chips for dipping in your icecream

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

You can spot the absolute pain in the holes a mile off whenever a McDonalds thread pops up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I love the gherkins in their burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

cml387 wrote: »
    What I fail to recall is the moment that McDonalds ceased being a fast food restaurant and turned into The Embodiment Of All Evil In The World.

Hipsters don't go for the popular stuff. Rather their grub served on a bread board.

At the end of the day, what are we taking about, 100% beef, some salad and a bundy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Hipsters don't go for the popular stuff. Rather their grub served on a bread board.

Haha!

2 gallons of heineken and a feed of mcdonalds=hipster nightmare.No hummus or stout brewed in a sheep's bladder to be seen!

magentis wrote: »
    Haha!

2 gallons of heineken and a feed of mcdonalds=hipster nightmare.No hummus or stout brewed in a sheep's bladder to be seen!

I'm imagining a group* of hipsters hanging arounding the corner asking teenagers to go in and order them a Big Mac.

* A group of unique individuals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Had a McMuffin breakfast a few months ago, it was possibly the most vile thing I have ever eaten. Tasted dodgy going down, but I was starving, didn't feel well for hours after.
    Big Mac is nice, chips are always good but the Mcflurrys are beautiful.

First time ever having a McDonalds was 1988, family holiday to Florida. The burgers were $1 and I want another one after devouring the first one.

Advertisement