Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MaccyDs - 40 years in Ireland

Options
  • 24-04-2017 3:34pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So next month, McDonalds will be celebrating 40 years on Emerald shores. That's a hell of a long time for a fast food chain.

Grafton Street opened on May 1 1977, followed the following year by O'Connell St. Then Dun Laoghaire in 1980 followed by Cork in 1984 and Galway in 1988.

The rest, they say, is history. In 1990 there were 15 McDonalds outlets in Ireland. There are now over 80 McDonalds outlets around the country, in every county excepting Leitrim and Roscommon. They have fed millions of Irish and provided thousands of jobs. Like or loathe them, the Golden Arches have set the standard for fast food in Ireland and other chains like Supermacs and Abrakebabra took cues from their lead in the market.

Do you like the occasional Big Mac? Do you have fond memories of birthday parties at McDonalds in your childhood? Is this thread making your mouth water for a Quarter Pounder meal right now?:D Or are they an evil global corporation making us obese?

Answers on a postcard please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'm lovin' it, just not their relationship with Ballymaloe and the Allens

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Fun fact: George Hook was offered the first McDonalds franchise here, and turned it down because he thought Irish people wouldn't eat meals without plates and cutlery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

McDonalds is a rich mans Mr Burger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I love McDonalds. When I'm in one it seems to make me happy. The smells, the noises, the branding... They just seem to do it right. Once every month or two I'll treat myself to some kind of meal in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I find the McMor offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

endacl wrote: »
    Fun fact: George Hook was offered the first McDonalds franchise here, and turned it down because he thought Irish people wouldn't eat meals without plates and cutlery.

One of a litany of piss poor business decisions by the bould Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd rather eat my own shite

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

TBF to them they have upped their game lately.

Some of their new burgers are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Watched the movie "Founder" last week, not a bad way to pass an hour or two. It's the story of how McDonalds became a franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Its such gank. Even the smell outside the "restaurants" makes me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Glenster wrote: »
    I find the McMor offensive.

I find it delicious!

Now, the O Sanders junk in KFC is offensive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Fast Food Nation was a very interesting book.

Their chips are nice, at least compared to KFC, althoughI preferred BK's whopper myself, but try to avoid all that now...apart from Donkey Ford's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember the opening, as if the Second Coming was announced.
    What I fail to recall is the moment that McDonalds ceased being a fast food restaurant and turned into The Embodiment Of All Evil In The World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Everyone's favourite fast food that they pretend to hate when other people are listening but secretly inhale with a hangover.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

osarusan wrote: »
    Fast Food Nation was a very interesting book.

Their chips are nice, at least compared to KFC, althoughI preferred BK's whopper myself, but try to avoid all that now...apart from Donkey Ford's.

I read fast food nation and while it gave me pause for thought, it didn't make me stop eating at McDonalds or other fast food joints. There are places that you can eat in far worse than MaccyDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Do you like the occasional Big Mac? Do you have fond memories of birthday parties at McDonalds in your childhood? Is this thread making your mouth water for a Quarter Pounder meal right now?:D Or are they an evil global corporation making us obese?

Yes, yes, yes, no - personal responsibility.

Edit: I hope the book was better than the film, because that was ****e and made me hungry in protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Am not a fan, am not not a fan - it doesn't enter my radar.

However I was very intrigued when my then 4 year said to me one afternoon, completely out of the blue....

"McDonalds is the place where you get burgers".

I have no idea how their marketing reached out to a four year old, but somehow it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There are places that you can eat in far worse than MaccyDs.
    And Donkey Ford's is one of them.

And it wasn't so much about the quality of the food, it was about the real estate and franchise aspect to it, the damage to the butchering industry, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Cordell

PARlance wrote: »
    Watched the movie "Founder" last week, not a bad way to pass an hour or two. It's the story of how McDonalds became a franchise.

Good one indeed. It also hints that the "original" McD hadn't the cardboard taste that we enjoy today...
    What I like about it is that you know exactly what to expect anywhere in the world, whereas other franchises like KFC and Burgerking will differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Its gone expensive, 7 or 8 Euro for a "meal"
    Notice the way they no longer display a full menu with prices - thought that was illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Its gone expensive, 7 or 8 Euro for a "meal"
    Notice the way they no longer display a full menu with prices - thought that was illegal.

Aye.

Plus €2, and you are eating a carvery roast with a knife and fork, at a table, civilized, like a Christian (as my gran would say).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A fine establishment for a quick bite to eat when you are on the go. Can't go wrong with a quick €2 double cheeseburger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Just back from Prague and McDonalds over there has some serious stuff , Spare Ribs , Emmental cheese sticks , a Bohemian McMor equivalent that's unreal , Hotdog's and Pilsner on tap need to seriously get on getting that stuff over here.

Normally i wouldn't go when away , id try the local food , but i was on a 5 day stag and there was a 24 hour McDonalds downstairs from the apartment, was an absolute gift

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

topper75 wrote: »
    Aye.

Plus €2, and you are eating a carvery roast with a knife and fork, at a table, civilized, like a Christian (as my gran would say).

Plus €2 and you can get a double cheese burger with that large Big Mac meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I was only just thinking when I posted in the grandmother thread "how long is McDonald's in Ireland if Nan was buying me burgers as a kid".

Now I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's grand stuff once in a while or if you're on a journey somewhere to stop in for a quick bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That McMor meal is a thing of beauty

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

uuuuggghhh, I had a McDonalds meal last week and it destroyed my insides for a few days. I vow to never eat there again.....but I know that it'll happen again in a few weeks.

As mentioned earlier, the movie 'The Founder' is well worth watching to see how it spread rapidly accross the US initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I lived very near one as a kid but it was only an occasional treat. Nowadays I wouldn't eat there often, but do enjoy a burger and fries combo once in a while. And I really like their doughnuts and McFlurrys. But I resist more often than not :D

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I have no idea how their marketing reached out to a four year old, but somehow it did.

They probably saw an ad,

Or was talking to one of their peers.

Or it was in a TV show.

Or they saw a billboard.

Or saw one of the buildings.

How long did you expect a four year old not to know about the existence of a business that is in every town in every country in the world?

Advertisement