Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MaccyDs - 40 years in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't get the love for McDonalds - I wouldn't care if I never had one again. I often go years between eating it as it is, it's just tasteless shíte!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

About once or twice a year I get an impulse to eat something there if passing and always regret it.

Not through any snobbishness about fast food. It just makes me feel queasy after eating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

topper75 wrote: »
    Aye.

Plus €2, and you are eating a carvery roast with a knife and fork, at a table, civilized, like a Christian (as my gran would say).

Ya can't get a carvery at 2 in the morning with a belly full of beer on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Ate there with our small ones for the 1st time there last month, my son as not impressed with the "burger" he got. He likes his burger from CoqBull, was really disappointed. He is only 3 and we have ruined him!!

I didn't enjoy it, I had the chicken legend (1st time in over 2 years) and I have to say I don't know what I liked about it. The standard is not the best and the prices are creeping up alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was in one once in the 1980s accompanying someone.
    Every week I walk by the McDonalds in Stillorgan.
    My fast food comes from the Chinese take-away across the road.
    McDonalds advertising to young children is grooming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Anyone remember that story about someone buying a happy meal and leaving it in an office for months and months and it didn't rot?
    Also,are their fries really potato or just flour? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

endacl wrote: »
    Fun fact: George Hook was offered the first McDonalds franchise here, and turned it down because he thought Irish people wouldn't eat meals without plates and cutlery.

My ma won't eat there for this exact reason. Notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like McJezzy's (that's what my 5 year old nephew calls it) but I hate the scrotes that leave their rubbish everywhere instead of disposing of it. Stop being a pig-dog your whole life and just throw into the bin. Great memories of sitting on the colourful train upstairs in the Phibsboro branch. It's gone now though, both the upstairs and the train actually :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

About once or twice a year I get an impulse to eat something there if passing and always regret it.

Not through any snobbishness about fast food. It just makes me feel queasy after eating it.

That, or else you belch and you're hungry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

I didn't have my first McDonalds until I was well into my teens since there wasn't one nearby.

MehDonalds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

You can't beat maccers chicken nuggets at 4 in the morning while your absolutely twisted accompanied by their amazing curry sauce and the last of a naggin of vodka.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

I used to go there as a kid. These days when im older and wiser i realise the food is pure ****e. But I still love it. I go every now and again. In fact i'd murder a big mac right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Things were better when Ronald ran the show

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I only eat there when they have the McRib so it's been a while.

Bring back the McRib.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    You can't beat maccers chicken nuggets at 4 in the morning while your absolutely twisted accompanied by their amazing curry sauce and the last of a naggin of vodka.
    maccers sell curry sauce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I was in Rome and had the worst hangover ever in the history of the world. Never in my life was I so glad to see a McDonald's. Two large cartons of hot salty chips later and I felt almost human again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

maccers sell curry sauce?

Sweet sweet curry sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

We were actually only talking about McDonald's earlier in my office, there's only 1 in Athlone but we used to have 2 - the one in the town centre is gone for one reason or another which I find surprising as it was across from a shopping centre and always seemed to be busy. It was a pure skanger magnet though.

I have to admit, I do enjoy the odd sneaky drive-thru on a long journey, but, like any good culchie, I prefer Supermacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think McDonalds is OK, don't eat there often but don't get why so many people go out of their way to stress just how much they apparently loathe it. Would never be my first choice but it's grand for what it is and some of the burgers are tasty in that sort of crappy indulgent way.

Nothing to rival Supermac's Chicken Breast Sandwich though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Having eaten MaccyD's in London I can tell you they are so much better in Ireland. Burgers freshly cooked rather than ones left in the heating tray for god knows how long. Nice clean restaurants here as well. Swore years ago while living in London that I'd never eat in there again, since being back I make regular monthly journeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I wonder how much tax they pay on their profits in Ireland.

And by how much, I mean how little.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pat McDonagh, owner of Supermacs, was on the radio recently complaining that McDonalds have hundreds of trademark licences taken that they never use. Some as weird as "McWash, McPhone" and the likes, he wasn't too concerned about those but he was taking a case to have "Snack Box" taken back off them. Think they went and TM'd it in the UK. Cheeky pups in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It's great hangover food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

As a kid; I used to eat happy meals at McDonalds in Blackrock for a treat with my mam mainly eating their chicken nuggets or fish fingers with the french fries after school. But I have not eaten McDonalds food for years because I have stuck to eating healthier foods for the majority of the time now compared to years ago.

40 years is a quite a long time in Ireland. As long as you eat a healthy balanced diet; having a McDonalds the odd time in your life is ok. Otherwise; your health will turn to shít if you go on it regularly something like the guy in Supersize Me from years ago.

Please people, stop saying "MaccyDs".

It's not coola boola anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have not eaten in a Irish McDonald's since Dec 2000, bar a few chips on a late night out in Galway about 5 years ago. Just have no desire to ever go in one, unless say am on holidays and there is no where else. Their food only ever seemed to satisfy me for about half a hour before I felt hungry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Please people, stop saying "MaccyDs".

It's not coola boola anymore...

Totes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

As a kid; I used to eat happy meals at McDonalds in Blackrock for a treat with my mam mainly eating their chicken nuggets or fish fingers with the french fries after school. But I have not eaten McDonalds food for years because I have stuck to eating healthier foods for the majority of the time now compared to years ago.

40 years is a quite a long time in Ireland. As long as you eat a healthy balanced diet; having a McDonalds the odd time in your life is ok. Otherwise; your health will turn to shít if you go on it regularly something like the guy in Supersize Me from years ago.

Your man ate the stuff for breakfast , lunch and dinner for 30 days or something.

I really don't think once a week would do any harm.

I see all the fools in work eating salads and tuna and a chicken and dry rice, mouldy avacado and the look on their faces, They hate it. Why bother.

Healthy Food Me Hole :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Why are they not in Leitrim and Roscommon?

Anyway, they have the best fries, ****ing great chicken nuggets, great chicken burgers, cheap not horrible burgers, nice ice cream and apple pies, can't argue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

First time I was ever brought to McDonalds, I cried because they didn't serve fish fingers or beans, and my parents had to bring me home. :)
    I was 28 years old.

Advertisement