Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

The Hunter starring Willam Dafoe is leaving Wednesday. A New Zealand movie about a guy scouted to hunt down a nearly extinct tiger by a big corporation for its genetic code. Really enjoyed it, quite sad at time specially nearer to the end.

For some reason I though I was going to be watching an action movie, must of got it confused with another movie (possibly the hunted which was also on last night) but this is a great little movie and Dafoe is great as always.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

neirbloom wrote: »
    The Hunter starring Willam Dafoe is leaving Wednesday. A New Zealand movie about a guy scouted to hunt down a nearly extinct tiger by a big corporation for its genetic code. Really enjoyed it, quite sad at time specially nearer to the end.

For some reason I though it would be some big loud dumb action movie but its got far more depth than that and Dafoe is great as always.

It's actually set in Tasmania not New Zealand, really good film though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's actually set in Tasmania not New Zealand, really good film though.

Sorry my bad :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

El Chapo series gets released on Friday, anyone know if its going to be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched Catfight over the weekend. Absolute pile of dung. Avoid.

Switched it off after 10 minutes, it seemed to be going nowhere.

Watched Masterminds 2016 starring Owen Wilson, Kristin Wiig and Zack Galifinkas.. Its a comedy that is based on a true story (which I was a wee bit shocked to discover) surrounding the events of one of the largest robberies in Americas history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spooks: The Greater Good added today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

13 Reasons why.

It's absolutely brilliant.

Lost interest half way through...found it drawn out, dull and annoying. None of the characters were worthy of any sympathy imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Lost interest half way through...found it drawn out, dull and annoying. None of the characters were worthy of any sympathy imho.

You judge a good character by being worthy of sympathy? 13 Reasons is one of the best shows made in years imo

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Synode wrote: »
    You judge a good character by being worthy of sympathy? 13 Reasons is one of the best shows made in years imo

To be fair, I really liked 13 Reasons Why, but even I can agree that yes it definitely did lag in the middle. There was a sense of "jaysus, just get on with it already". There was a few characters that could've been trimmed, and yes there was a period where it was tough to feel any sympathy for the two leads.
    But, a lot of those issues are resolved and even rectified with the excellent last few episodes. So I'd say if you have gotten half way, power through the next couple of episodes. imo it pays off.... mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Stick with it
    This is when it gets really good
    I almost gave up on it at this stage too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Gimme The Loot was added today. Don't know if it's any good but it's from the same guy who made Tramps which quite a few people, myself included, enjoyed recently.

Watched Girlhood (2002) last nigh after putting it off for about a year. Amazing Documentary about two teen girls released from a penitentiary and follows a year in their lives, pretty tough at times but really eye-opening. Best Doc I've seen on Netflix in a long while. Leaves Friday I think.

Any fans of The Wire might recognize some of the locations from the show and it reminded me a lot of the 4th season which dealt with the school system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Corvo wrote: »
    Watched this last weekend.

I can't describe how crap it is.

I actually enjoyed it, best out of them all bar 1&2. Couple of questionable sequences but entertaining all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

el chapo season 1 added today (netflix orginal)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,378 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Full Monty was added today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Queen of the South good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

km79 wrote: »
    Stick with it
    This is when it gets really good
    I almost gave up on it at this stage too

Fair enough - I'll go back and give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭dunworth1

love me some Robert Carlyle

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Is there any international films or series you would recommend?

I've recently watched series of

Fauda - Israeli Palestine political thriller
    El Marginal - Argentinian prison drama

Both have been great viewing and the subtitles I don't mind.

Watched The wailing the other night which is a Korean horror movie and it was very good. They were all recommended on here before but I'm enjoying the international side of it so was wondering is there any other good ones out there on Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Buttros

spuddy90 wrote: »

Watched The wailing the other night which is a Korean horror movie and it was very good. They were all recommended on here before but I'm enjoying the international side of it so was wondering is there any other good ones out there on Netflix?

Occupied is excellent. Norwegian political thriller series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not to sound like a broken record but Generation War is definitely worth your time. If you haven't seen it already, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Brilliant thanks guys. Both added to my list. Plenty to keep me going.

Started watching El chapo aswell lastnight and it's good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

One of my favorite bitter sweet comedies this is good news.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched The Captive last night, and it was a film of two halves - one half is a strong examination of what happens to a couple whose child is kidnapped, with no ransom demand or contact from​ the captors; the other half is a sloppy police-investigating-sex-offender-ring drama with some dodgy plotting and a few bits of ropey acting. Ryan Reynolds and Mireille Enos do a great job of conveying their character's emotional states through body language and non-verbal cues, but Scott Speedman and Rosario Dawson are both pretty rubbish (though they aren't given a great deal to work with).

It's pretty good, but I wish the script had been tighter - there are several aspects that suggest a lack of confidence in the viewer, which is a pity given how good the two core performances​ are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I think I may have mentioned it on this thread before but I would recommend "Historia de un clan" from Argentina. Excellent drama with a few quirks and loads of very black "comedy" .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The age of Adeline.
    Anthropoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Blindspot and The Blacklist were recommended to me recently so I have them on my list to watch

I am watching Breaking Bad at the moment, really enjoying it :) Would recommend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Blacklist started off good but became clichéd for me to the point where it became a show my wife will watch knowing I've no interest anymore.

I watched the first episode of El Chapo, not quite sure about the production values, I might be tainted by Narcos. Has anyone progressed further into it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Watched Shimmer Lake at the weekend. Decent cast but very forgettable.
    I enjoyed it to be honest. Interesting way of telling a story.

I enjoyed it too. Small town character piece, little bit Fargo ish. Decent enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I was stuck for something to watch over the last few days so I gave Flaked with Will Arnett a second shot after watching half an episode when it was first released.

And oddly enough I took to it straight away and after a couple episodes I started to really like it. I ended up binge watching both seasons.

The second season is more comedic than the first due to characters like Cooler and George being used a lot more.

Overall a decent show I thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement