Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations 2.0 *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Hurrache wrote: »
    A film that came from way left field for me, but I watched Dumplin, it's a really nice movie that hits you right in the feels.

I enjoyed Dumplin' It's kind of light weight and I thought the romance subplot was unnecessary but it's a lot of fun and the soundtrack is great, but would you expect any less from Dolly Parton!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

cml387 wrote: »
    Yes, deserves the time invested. It's all preposterous of course but the character
    relationship arc makes it worth watching. Additionally the excellent Steve Pemberton has a starring role.

Steve Pemberton is amazing in everything imo.
    His role in Happy Valley was truly excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,827 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Does anyone know if Mindhorn is still on Netflix? I thought they bought the rights to it, but I can't find it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Watched “An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn”

Strangely entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

amor3 wrote: »
    Velvet buzzsaw... 2 hours of my life I will never get back!! Terrible movie.
    yep pile of ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I haven't finished Velvet Buzzsaw but the hour or so I watched I really enjoyed.. it's kitsch, over-the-top, daft, pretentious and silly, but it's absolutely well aware of it.

Gyllenhaal hamming it up big time is quite entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Arrival was one of very few non kiddies movies I seen in the cinema in the last decade!
    It caught me absolutely by surprise . Totally immersed in it for the whole 2 hours and was affected by it !
    For that reason I chose not to watch it since
    Until tonight ........
    Same effect
    Fantastic movie that deserves to be watched by everyone

It's not a casual watch . Close the curtains . Turn off the phones .
    Enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enjoyed High Flying Bird. Struggled to follow some of the basketball business complexities, but that couldn’t dim what’s obviously a razor-sharp script. Tackles one very specific strand of modern US race relations / economic inequality in a pleasingly witty but incisive way. Narrative comes together nicely in the end as it firmly reveals itself as a sort of
    heist / scheming movie in high-powered clothing.
    Great cast own the film.

Felt the iPhone cinematography really suited the material and actually looks better on a TV than some of the higher fidelity original content Netflix puts out. Limits are still obvious (especially when the camera’s moving) but there’s an antsy, raw and capable look to it all that’s a good fit for the story that unfolds. Helps that Soderbergh still knows better than most how to frame conversations in a lively, impactful way. Overall a better fit for the tech than Unsane I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Abandoned 2015 on the US library starring Dominic Purcell, its a true story about four guys drifting out to sea for three and a half months after their boat capsized during a freak wave.

It's an amazing tale of survival and a shocking reaction from naval official's and media.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Drumpot wrote: »
    Halfway through the haunting of hill house and I’m loving it. Can’t get enough of it....

Best show I’ve watched in some time.

Binged the rest of it today , it was absorbing....

Thought it was top notch until 9th episode. I really enjoyed the slow character building and the ominous setup. I also loved how the story came together in stages.

I found the ending a bit lacking what made the earlier episodes so good but it was still enjoyable and actually kind of satisfying when I think of it. I think if I hadn’t if watched so much I might of enjoyed it more cause I was exhausted come the end.

That said I loved it overall. 9-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Dawn of the planet of the apes

The space between us

Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj
    New season
    Every Sunday, Hasan Minhaj brings an incisive and nuanced perspective to global news, politics and culture in his unique comedy series

Added today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

wife showed me this article which features "the killing" coming to netflix this weekend....but i cant find it listed...

https://www.image.ie/life/six-series-shows-you-should-binge-watch-on-netflix-weekend-101588

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭dougm1970

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Abandoned 2015 on the US library starring Dominic Purcell, its a true story about four guys drifting out to sea for three and a half months after their boat capsized during a freak wave.

It's an amazing tale of survival and a shocking reaction from naval official's and media.

i cant find this listed either

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched solo on us Netflix it was actually pretty good, no idea why it got a critical drubbing and did so poorly box office wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Been watching Schitt's Creek over the last week and think it's great. Lots of brilliant fleshed out characters. I think my favourite is Bob the garage owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

gmisk wrote: »
    I watched solo on us Netflix it was actually pretty good, no idea why it got a critical drubbing and did so poorly box office wise.

Solo is a cracking movie. The Star Wars fan base is a strange place these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Been watching ****t's Creek over the last week and think it's great. Lots of brilliant fleshed out characters. I think my favourite is Bob the garage owner.

The mother makes me lol. Her delivery is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone watch back with the ex?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Louis Thereux
    Animal Kingdom
    Planet Earth 1 & 2 and Africa
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
    Boyz N the Hood
    Gringo: The dangerous Life of John McAfee
    Wild Wild Country

All worth a watch.

Halfway through Russian Doll and still not quite sure what to think of it. :cool:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

el diablo wrote: »
    Louis Thereux
    Animal Kingdom
    Planet Earth 1 & 2 and Africa
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
    Boyz N the Hood
    Gringo: The dangerous Life of John McAfee
    Wild Wild Country

All worth a watch.

Halfway through Russian Doll and still not quite sure what to think of it. :cool:

Just watched, he's some operator!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Just watched, he's some operator!

He's lived a crazy life and is still on the run from the IRS. Now he's planning on running as a candidate for the 2020 US election as a libertarian/cryptocurrency advocate.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

just watched Velvet Buzzsaw and while it was silly and over the top, it was also a hilarious parody of the art world. jake gyllenhall is great as an art critic who will deride even the coffin at a friends funeral if it doesn't meet his aesthetic standards.

Flavorful Origins season 1
    Delve into the delectable world of Chaoshan cuisine, explore its unique ingredients and hear the stories of the people behind its creation.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭whatever76

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Been watching Schitt's Creek over the last week and think it's great. Lots of brilliant fleshed out characters. I think my favourite is Bob the garage owner.

Favourite comedy at the minute - and gets better each seasoni - its out 3 years I think and only gaining recognition now . Catherine O Hara is class - love her wit !! yea bob is great but I do admit David is my favourite !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I think a lot of it is to do with it only coming out 6 months after the previous one. People aren't used to Marvel like scheduling when it comes to Star Wars even though that's what Disney really want for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It didn't get a "drubbing". It just got average reviews and an appalling turn out.

I Think We're Alone Now
    After the human race is wiped out, a man builds a life of utopian solitude -- until a second survivor arrives with the threat of companionship

Welcome Home
    A couple rents a villa in Italy hoping to mend their bruised relationship, but the devilishly charming homeowner can't seem to leave them alone.

added today

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Uncharted wrote: »
    Just finished watching Perfume last night. 6 part German series. I would highly recommend it. Excellent stuff,very gripping and well thought out but extremely dark.

And i mean extremely dark.

Finished it myself last night. Extremely dark is right! Enjoyed it apart from the ending which left more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Tim76 wrote: »
    Finished it myself last night. Extremely dark is right! Enjoyed it apart from the ending which left more questions than answers.

Is it as good as the movie Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (2006)? That film was very creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Where the hell is Black Mirror season 5? Brooker said it was "imminent-ish" a month ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement