Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest film you've ever seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

The assassination of Jesse James was a great film but was also extremely bleak and grim.

Had forgotten about that film. Wouldn't call it "sad" in general, more an interesting story(and apparently very historically accurate) but the last few minutes are beautiful and nearly drew a tear first time I watched it.

Great film must watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

The Lives of Others
    Mysterious Skin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Hachi a dogs tale, admit I was balling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

....... wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You should watch another film by the same crowd if you really want to be depressed. Plague Dogs. Not an upbeat movie. Great film but definitely an example of cartoons not always being cheery.

For me as well, i would have to go with the old Lassie films. Bring a tear to my eye every time. Then there's Land Before Time and American Tale which both use the line "I am all alone".

But for live action human moments, one i remember is actually My Girl. Not when the thing happens(you'll know if you've seen it), but Vada's reaction afterward

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Forrest Gump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Beaches had me bawling as a young girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Happiness.

Sad as in totally dismal and desperate. Great film though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Bridge to Terabithia.

"More like Bridge to tearing my fuc***g heart out"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

It's been mentioned a bit but

Dear Zachary

It was like one continuous punch to the heart, tears of anger at a certain point.

If you don't know the story of what happened don't look it up and just watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

American History X had a sad ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Gran Torino always makes me upset when I watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Champ

It’s the quintessential tearjerker. Known universally as so..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,736 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It’s an oldie, but The Imitation of Life is pretty dramatically sad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I cried watching Bambi. You know the scene were his mammy got killed. I was 5.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I cried watching Bambi. You know the scene were his mammy got killed. I was 5.

bambi's mother was a slut

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Casualties of war / Brian De Palmer (the dreadful rape scene) and "I, Daniel Blake" / Ken Loach (the food bank scene)... I actually don't know anyone who hasn't been shaken to the core by the latter... Casualties of war is a fictional account of a true case of wartime brutalisation of a vietcong woman, never easy viewing, but for my money a career best for Michael J Fox...
    Two others deserve an honoury mention (and re-mention) Johnny got his gun / Dalton Trumbo, from the 70s, a shocking tale of medical surgery for science sake, read imdb, and watch, a truly original nightmare of sorrows...and another unknown, Runaway Train / Andrei Konachevsky, a prison break movie which is not for the faint hearted, utterly brutal but with a glimmer of hope for some of the protagonists, the closing scene (very easy to find on YouTube) with its musical score (Antonio Vivaldi's 'Gloria) is quite possibly the most heart wrenching bit of fiction I've seen, and it's such a great film, I go back to it every couple of years... So, that's it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Dalton Trumbo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

Alien

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Wailin wrote: »
    Alien

yeah that poor Xenomorph, he was only trying to get some dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Coco is powerful stuff... Plenty of men in tears at that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Grave of the Fireflies.
    Nebraska.
    Other People.
    The Champ.
    E.T.
    OKJA.
    Nil By Mouth.

Grave of the Fireflies.
    Nebraska.
    Other People.
    The Champ.
    E.T.
    OKJA.
    Nil By Mouth.

The champ... Nice one...

I was about 4 when I saw ET on release in the cinema.... Lots of terrified kids

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Dalton Trumbo

That's a clanger on my part, cheers, since you're here, was DT connected with the special effects in Kubrick's 2001..something in the back of my head remembers hearing that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Grave of the Fireflies.
    The first film I thought of when I saw this thread.

For a lot of the film you are touched by how much Seita and Setsuko enjoy their time with each other, and strive to survive as WWII turns their world upside-down. This is what makes the conclusion of this film so soul-destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

shamrock55 wrote:
    For me its the persuit of happiness

Our dear and wonderful friend, a bridesmaid at our wedding, sadly took her own life. Myself and wife were understandably absolutely grief stricken. After a few weeks we finally went out for a night realising we needed to get on with living. We figured the cinema was the best bet. I saw that Will smith had a new movie out, called the pursuit of happiness. With a name like that it had to be a joyous light-hearted comedy caper! Perfect for distracting us for a couple of hours...should have read a review.... My god, we left utterly traumatised....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 appletara

The Road - always makes me cry at the end and I Daniel Blake - loved the film it really struck a chord, very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Wailin

When i saw Gladiator in the cinema in 2000 i had a lump in my throat at the end as he walked to his family. Watching it now its a bit cheesy.

Coco was a great one for tugging at the heart strings I have to say.

Wailin wrote: »
    When i saw Gladiator in the cinema in 2000 i had a lump in my throat at the end as he walked to his family. Watching it now its a bit cheesy.

Coco was a great one for tugging at the heart strings I have to say.

And my 6yo kept saying "what's wrong with your eye" at the end of coco..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭W0LFMAN

Grave of the Fireflies...

Advertisement