Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddest film you've ever seen

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Philadelphia gets me each time I watch it.

Great soundtrack, average enough film. It was more a film about discrimination and legal litigation. Didn’t find it particularly sad even at young age.... by far one of my favourite soundtracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gratzi22

Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Gratzi22 wrote: »
    Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Have they canceled Catchphrase? Ah, that's sad…

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Have they canceled Catchphrase? Ah, that's sad…

roy-walker-meme-generator-it-s-good-but-it-s-not-right-1b6cf9-jpg.155361

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Watership Down

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Watership Down

:(

Ah, well. You can always cheer yourself up with another animated classic from the same crowd. Plague Dogs…

…actually, wait… no, you can't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Ah, well. You can always cheer yourself up with another animated classic from the same crowd. Plague Dogs…

…actually, wait… no, you can't.

Oh yeah... I read both books as a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 miss_darcey

I'm just gonna say it! Titanic

The bits with the elderly couple on the bed and the kids and the story of Tír na nÓg - All the more heartbreaking because so many lives were really lost.

I bawled my eyes out at Suffragette, even thinking of it now I'm sad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burgershack

These are a few that tugged my heartstrings.

The Last picture show: (Beautiful sad and atmospheric story of a dying town)

John Hustons, The Dead: (Anjelica Huston on the stairs as Frank Patterson sings the lass of Aughrim also Donal McCanns soliloquy at the end of the film) heartbreaking

Stand by me: (Childhood friends search for a dead body) brings a lump to the throat.

The Straight story: (Estranged brother attempting to reconnect with the other before they both meet their maker)

The bridges of Madison County: (The choices we choose)

Shadowlands

The remains of the day

84 Charing cross road

Dances with Wolves: (For the John Dunbar theme alone)

Lonely are the brave: (Kirk Douglas as a cowboy fighting against modernity)

Garage: (The Pat Shortt film about a smalltown innocent) I think he is a way better actor than a comedian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Betty Blue.
    The Deer Hunter.

And anyone who can sit through Paths of Glory, especially the final scene, without a lump in the throat is a robot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it's generally seen as a comedy, but the treatment of Jeanie Drynan's character (Betty Heslop, Muriel/Mariel's mother) in 'Muriel's Wedding' is heartbreaking. The more I watch it, the more I see how badly she is treated and how she just takes it all, as if she accepts it as her lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

For me Up and Serenity.

“Leaf on the wind...”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,780 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

All dogs go to heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People have mentioned Toy Story 3 a few times, I don't find it sad at all, but what really gets me is the scene in Toy Story 2 where Jessie remembers her time with Emily, that I think is really sad.

Another one is The Wind that Shakes the Barley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

The very end of “La vita e Bella” for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Pay It Forward

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Sofia Coppola's The Virgin Suicides is sad and depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Life is beautiful http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Such a poignant movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

A Monster Calls. Saw it twice and I balled both times. Incredible film though.

• Advertisement

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Thelma and Louise was sad at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

In Philomena, did an amazing job at portraying an old talkative Irish woman. I saw a lot of my Granny's mannerisms in her performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

The ending of that film is one of the most hauntingly beautiful and sad pieces of art I'll ever see. Can still see the hills he runs to and the sky and the native american music fading in the background. They don't make them like that anymore.

Mmmmm juicyfruit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

These are a few that tugged my heartstrings.

The Last picture show: (Beautiful sad and atmospheric story of a dying town)

John Hustons, The Dead: (Anjelica Huston on the stairs as Frank Patterson sings the lass of Aughrim also Donal McCanns soliloquy at the end of the film) heartbreaking

Stand by me: (Childhood friends search for a dead body) brings a lump to the throat.

The Straight story: (Estranged brother attempting to reconnect with the other before they both meet their maker)

The bridges of Madison County: (The choices we choose)

Shadowlands

The remains of the day

84 Charing cross road

Dances with Wolves: (For the John Dunbar theme alone)

Lonely are the brave: (Kirk Douglas as a cowboy fighting against modernity)

Garage: (The Pat Shortt film about a smalltown innocent) I think he is a way better actor than a comedian

That wasa the first one I thought of too. Almost claustrophobic.

The assassination of Jesse James was a great film but was also extremely bleak and grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I remember watching some film with Elvis when I was around seven and crying when he was shot. Turns out he had a cigarette case or something in his pocket and he lived. I remember riding my bike afterwards being so happy Elvis was alive. He was dead a few years at that stage but I didn't know.

When I was 12 or 13 I remember crying at was the end of The Breakfast Club. I just felt so heartbroken that they were all going now just go their separate ways. The letter that's read out at the end just makes it all the much worse.

End of Midnight Cowboy was really sad too and the first time you see Bastard Out Of Carolina it's impossible not to cry.

Seen In The Name Of The Father in the cinema and the following scene was lump in throat stuff for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Quint getting eaten in Jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Dear Zachary, an absolute gut punch. That stayed with me for a while.

Requiem for a Dream. I felt emotionally drained at the end.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS BELOW on mobile so can't use tags

I had a look at my list again and Arrival really stands out. It is I believe a fantastic film and not at all the type that you'd think would make one cry, but I did. It made me feel all sorts of things.
    "you know I've had my head tilted up to the stars for as long as I can remember, you know what surprised me the most? It wasn't meeting them it was meeting you".

And Francesca in Bridges of Madison County. I shouted at the screen towards the end of that film.
    "The human heart has a way of making itself large again even after it's been broken in to a million pieces".

Sure you'd want to be made of stone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Marley and me.

Advertisement