Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-toyota-avensis-1-6-71-000-miles-1-owner/21461667

Not quite bangernomics money, but sounds promising and seems genuine? .

Looking for some thing to tie me over for a year or two.

Do you reckon it could be got for closer to the 2k mark?

I'd imagine the tax is 514 a year?

I believe they are very reliable, what are they like on juice?

Anything in particular to look out for on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I'd say you'd be doing well to even get that for €2500

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

gooner99 wrote: »

Yes according to motortax.ie tax is for 1501 - 1600 so 514 for a year.

Funny thing, colleague from work have exactly the same car.

And he is using Dart to commute due to cost of driving (sic!)

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,896 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Snap it up.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I think the tax on the late registered 08 models is €750 for the 1.6 engine? I think I remember Colm posting before that they had to offer them new with a years road tax thrown in to try and shift them.

Very reliable and not a bad yoke on fuel in all honesty. Anyone saying they cost an excessive amount to fuel is someone who's ideal combined fuel and servicing bill is €5.00. Handy driving I'd expect th guts of 40npg motorway and maybe late 20's around town.

• Advertisement

Tax on the one in the link anyway is €514 (08dl1721)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I think the tax on the late registered 08 models is €750 for the 1.6 engine? I think I remember Colm posting before that they had to offer them new with a years road tax thrown in to try and shift them.

Very reliable and not a bad yoke on fuel in all honesty. Anyone saying they cost an excessive amount to fuel is someone who's ideal combined fuel and servicing bill is €5.00. Handy driving I'd expect th guts of 40npg motorway and maybe late 20's around town.

You're right with the mid twenties for town but not much better on long spins, certainly nothing near the forties, the diesel could barely manage that.

Anyway, it’s obviously being sold by a trader but still, it looks so nice and genuine. I’d say you’d have little to worry about for a while if you bought that particular car. 71k miles is an average of about 6k a year. I’d guess it was probably owned by some elderly gent who, as the old line goes, only used it to go to mass and the shops a few times a week...in 3rd gear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

gooner99 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-toyota-avensis-1-6-71-000-miles-1-owner/21461667

Not quite bangernomics money, but sounds promising and seems genuine? .

Looking for some thing to tie me over for a year or two.

Do you reckon it could be got for closer to the 2k mark?

I'd imagine the tax is 514 a year?

Anything in particular to look out for on them?

I ran the registration number through Motor Tax online enquiry and right enough its on the cheaper cubic capacity based motor tax for that engine. Its €514 p.a. to tax. Would be €750 if on the CO2 basis of assessment.

No harm in trying but if I was selling a car for €2,750 I wouldn't be accepting anything that very close to €2,000. Otherwise I'd be pricing it much more closely to €2,000 to generate interest in the first place. But that's just me and that's not to say in any shape or form that the car is worth €2,750 either.

I see that on motor tax online change of ownership enquiry it was purchased by a dealer on 06/03/2019. If it was genuinely bought by a dealer and is now being sold on by that dealer they are showing themselves as a private seller in the ad. Not a good start in my book if this is the case. I'm not really sure why the ad is showing to have 0 previous owners. Was that doctored I wonder.

Otherwise if sold by a dealer onto another private consumer who is now selling it on again I'd really be wondering why....asking myself rather than accepting the usual cock and bull story.

Generally speaking nothing goes too terribly wrong with them. Check for uneven tyre wear, particularly wear on the inside of the front tyres as it can be a problem. Check its relatively clean underneath with no serious corrosion. No doubt the obligatory Toyota water leak into boot will be present (there has being a hell of a lot of Toyotas in the family at this stage over the years and all without fail leaked water into the boot). If your viewing lift the boot carpet and check and maybe use as a bargaining point if there is water there. Also gearboxes can be a weak enough point in Petrol Toyotas of that era - make sure its smooth, no grinding etc and all gears work, that it doesn't pop out of any gears, that sort of thing.

I had a 2001 1.6 VVTI Avensis saloon before and it wasn't bad on fuel at all - lighter on it than my current 2009 1.4 VVTI Auris. Mind you that model is a heavier car. I drove on once only really and it felt pretty sluggish and heavy with the 1.6 compared to the previous model. Can only imagine fuel economy would take a hit. Unless I'm away of the mark I'd imagine you would be looking toward 35 mpg tops real world mixed driving on a pretty good day (you may not be a dinosaur like me and work in those fang dadly Eurpoean measures that work the other way around).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

€2500 is too much for that IMO.

• Advertisement

On the previous owners front, the details in the Donedeal ad can’t be changed. My guess is it was traded in to a main dealer and then traded out to a trader logbook in hand. No big deal really

• Registered Users Posts: 73,414 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The €750 tax is a good indicator of the fuel economy. The engine is revving quite high at motorway speeds so you won’t get 40mpg at those speeds. At around 90/100kmph you could scrape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

No doubt all the discussion on a petrol car is getting some of ye rightly annoyed so heres a dirty diesel to bring ye're interest back into the threadsmile.png

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-accord-2-2-ctdi-ex-long-nct/21449638
    2008 Accord 2.2 cdti;
    183 k miles;
    NCT 02/20;
    Leather;
    Annual motor tax €390
    Asking €1,750

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

jharr100 wrote: »

No mileage listed (or reg to check), and those seats look battered. I'd be hedging it's seen a fair few miles over the last 13 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

No mileage listed (or reg to check), and those seats look battered. I'd be hedging it's seen a fair few miles over the last 13 years.

Seats look fine to me. It is a 800e car at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'98 Mazda Xedos 1.6
    132k miles
    NCT Oct '19
    Tax June '19

Asking €295

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-zedos-for-sale/21467045

Wow! If that was in Dublin I'd buy it today. Love them

'01 Punto 1.2
    NCT June '19
    80K miles

Asking €350

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto/20573251

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

W123-80's wrote: »
    '98 Mazda Xedos 1.6
    132k miles
    NCT Oct '19
    Tax June '19

Asking €295

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mazda-zedos-for-sale/21467045
    Wow! If that was in Dublin I'd buy it today. Love them

Likewise, it's an awful pity it's so far down the country. It's worth that alone from a rarity point of view! The fact it has NCT thrown in also is a massive bonus :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That makes three of us so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Nice looking example

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m at a loose end tomorrow if anyone wants me to travel an hour to go view that xedos for them.

Hi all,
    Hope it's ok to post this here.
    I'm selling my trusty Octavia.
    '00 1.9d with genuine 145,824 miles.
    Full service history from day one.
    I'm the second owner, but the more diligent might notice more owners on the book. I transferred it a couple of times between myself and my wife. That was the only expense i spared on the car!!
    I've put approx 22,000 miles on it since October '17.
    I had it serviced 3 times and replaced drop link bushes for test.
    Belt was done at 50k and 100k, I think it's 60k intervals. So due in 14k miles.
    4 good tyres.
    It'll come with NCT until May 2020.

Bad points;
    Heater blower only blows on setting 4
    Radio volume button is tempremental

Car is genuinely flying. I'm doing a 75 mile round trip 4/5 days a week. Have had literally zero issues with the car!
    Won't get an advert together for a day or two. Can email pics of wanted, but it's not washed!

€600
    PM if interested.
    I'm based in Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

W123-80's wrote: »
    I'm selling my trusty Octavia.
    Which begs the question......
    What's caught your eye now? :D

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Which begs the question......
    What's caught your eye now? :D

This!
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-1-9-tdi-low-mls-fsh/21455626
    Deal done. Collecting Saturday morning.
    I was going to keep the Octavia forever but the urge for a change over the last couple of months took over!! I'm daft in a way, but I am pretty confident that A6 is as genuine as my Octavia so it's a safe swap I think.

Congrats on the purchase, you won't regret that at all. Ultra rare Xenons and all! They're worth a fortune on their own.

My brother is still driving my old Avant.

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-passat-black-1-6-fsi-comfortline/21468892?campaign=3

NjI0NjA2ZGI0Y2E3ZjE4OTQyZTlhODdhNDMxZjNhYTP9S7-qe8B7Ng5dch8shfRYaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjE2MTc2NzR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1 owner 07 Passat 1.6 FSI comfort line

NCT till December, tax till May, €975

Still fairly fresh looking cars IMO, and this looks quite genuine, can't go far wrong for less than a grand really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement