Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭ltd440

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-ibiza/21444274
    bought on this thread from another boards member about 6 months ago as an in between cars car... as always discount available to forum
    users

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Threw up my Saab a few days, so far have had a scrap yard ring me.
    Tis a pity to scrap it but c'est la vie.

that limp mode issue on the saab - have you changed fuel filter? i had something simlar on an Accord, turned out the filter was clogged and when it couldnt get the fuel it wanted it would go to limp mode - it was diesel however. just thought i would mentioned it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Quality .... Are you serious they are balls of ****e, gearbox is made of chocolate because volvo didn't put a radiator on them unlike the xc90. That superb would be a far superior car in every way.

I laughed. Out loud.
    Volvo didn't put a rad on the gearbox, as standard. If you were towing boats, animals or whatever, you could get one installed. There was no need for a rad on that box for that car, "unless" you wanted or needed one.

Anyway, off with you and your Skoda Sh1t box with a half a million km on it. By the way, its not just the "iron block" that does the mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

cadaliac wrote: »
    I laughed. Out loud.
    Volvo didn't put a rad on the gearbox, as standard. If you were towing boats, animals or whatever, you could get one installed. There was no need for a rad on that box for that car, "unless" you wanted or needed one.

Anyway, off with you and your Skoda Sh1t box with a half a million km on it. By the way, its not just the "iron block" that does the mileage.

I have one in my S60 and they are shíte gearboxes. Sealed for life and you run the huge risk of destroying them if you don't change the oil perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I laughed. Out loud.

Simple terms its not a bangernomics car its an expensive 1900 euro, anything goes wrong over the course of ownership its factory parts only, new gearbox 5k, new instrument cluster 3k, the dif is another weak part on them good luck at finding anything in a breakers for them, garden ornaments is what a lot of them end up as, laugh out loud at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I laughed. Out loud.

Lol.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I have one in my S60 and they are shíte gearboxes. Sealed for life and you run the huge risk of destroying them if you don't change the oil perfectly.

The trick is to fill it up when the oil is cold.... Unfortunately many garages will want to rush it and with oil expanding with temperature, it will be underfilled.

Newish FWd Toyota use those boxes almost exclusively, without many issues. They are great light, compact and efficient boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

By the way, its not just the "iron block" that does the mileage.

I very much have to agree with this and its something that people seem to loose sight of too easily when judging a high mileage car with a "good"/"brilliant"/"renowned" engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I lol at all of you skoda driving peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Wrong thread for that attitude ducks :D
    BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Better than being a Toyota driving peasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Ian OB

I used to drive a 15 year old Astra.

Now I drive a 16 year old one. Progress baby!! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ltd440 wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/seat-ibiza/21444274
    bought on this thread from another boards member about 6 months ago as an in between cars car... as always discount available to forum
    users
    If the original seats are any way normal looking, I think it would be a good idea to remove the covers and retake the pics of the interior.

Not your ornery onager

I had an S80 with 200k on it. Box was perfect in every way but I had a petrol one so hardly the same box as the diesel 2.4, so, I cannot really comment on that.
    I didn’t know they were sh1te.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Simple terms its not a bangernomics car its an expensive 1900 euro, anything goes wrong over the course of ownership its factory parts only, new gearbox 5k, new instrument cluster 3k, the dif is another weak part on them good luck at finding anything in a breakers for them, garden ornaments is what a lot of them end up as, laugh out loud at that.
    Well, yes, if your approach to bangernomics is to replace parts with factory parts (yes I understand no scrappie parts available) then you’re out of luck with a 1900 Euro car that goes pop.
    Eyes wide open to be fair with all those type of cars that are just in bangernomics territory. I’m looking at you merc e200, Audi A6 and Volvo whatever.
    No car worth €2k is worth investing any more than its own value unless you’re fairly confident that thecar will last as long as you want it to and you are happy to keep the car. You can, and people do, find plenty of Volvo cars that are perfect bangernomics cars. I know what car I’d rather have if I had to choose between a superb and an xc 70

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭ltd440

Esel wrote: »
    If the original seats are any way normal looking, I think it would be a good idea to remove the covers and retake the pics of the interior.

The drivers seat has a small tear so unfortunately a bit necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Well, yes, if your approach to bangernomics is to replace parts with factory parts (yes I understand no scrappie parts available) then you’re out of luck with a 1900 Euro car that goes pop.
    Eyes wide open to be fair with all those type of cars that are just in bangernomics territory. I’m looking at you merc e200, Audi A6 and Volvo whatever.
    No car worth €2k is worth investing any more than its own value unless you’re fairly confident that thecar will last as long as you want it to and you are happy to keep the car. You can, and people do, find plenty of Volvo cars that are perfect bangernomics cars. I know what car I’d rather have if I had to choose between a superb and an xc 70

Well the ill informed might agree, but from a sound banger you could do a lot worse than a skoda. Yes I did pick one up for 750 12 months ago and yes it's been a great buy costing me nothing other than the tax and test and the consumables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Didnt know you posted here Leo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Nzk4-ZTNk-NDU4-OTlj-NWQ0-Yz-Uw-Zjc2-OGY4-MDJi-NWU3-M2-LFGPwy-QTLz0-DYPM757z-B0-B.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-520-se-just-nctd/21457629

Cheap and chancey but low owner 2005 520i
    Test till next January
    Looks pretty clean considering the price
    Recent change of ownership 12/3/19
    Asking €850

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They are grand if all you want is basic reliable transport that feels like it was designed in the 1990s.

For what it's worth they haven't changed much in 11 years since then either:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2046570&r=s.php%3Fm%3D58%26o%3D488%26r%3D2019%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I sat in a new one of those recently

I thought it was one of the cheapest looking car interiors I've ever seen.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/96-vw-golf-1-4/21460517

A 1996 petrol Golf with only 119k miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

nice_guy80 wrote: »

NCT is out today on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

nice_guy80 wrote: »

It's hard to tell because the paint is so **** on them but they look like Enkei Racing-S wheels, probably worth more than the car if so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement