Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US considering Preemptive Strike against North Korea.

Options

Comments

silverharp wrote: »
    well done president Trump

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/04/26/world/korea-summit-kang-kyung-wha-amanpour-intl/index.html

(CNN)South Korea's foreign minister has said she believes President Donald Trump is largely responsible for bringing North Korean leader Kim Jong-un to the negotiating table.

Speaking ahead of Friday's historic summit between the leaders of North and South Korea, Kang Kyung-wha told CNN that the US President had played a significant role in bringing the two sides together.
    "Clearly, credit goes to President Trump," Kang told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in Seoul. "He's been determined to come to grips with this from day one."

I'm sure everyone else on here has a better idea of Trump's involvement than South Korea's foreign minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Even if the meeting produces no real progress, it's a step in the right direction.

Cuba will open up. China and Vietnam are trading with the West. There's benefit to the North Koreans from opening up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

How will he find room for the Nobel peace prize in the oval office?

I'm still skeptical since it was only months ago NK were launching missiles but it sure is amazing to see such progress being made. If NK do denuclearize Trump's legacy as President will be deemed successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

2 Scoops wrote: »
    How will he find room for the Nobel peace prize in the oval office?

I'm still skeptical since it was only months ago NK were launching missiles but it sure is amazing to see such progress being made. If NK do denuclearize Trump's legacy as President will be deemed successful.

True, but to be honest if this works out he would deserve the Nobel peace prize more than Obama did who was oddly awarded the prize while overseeing a massive drone program in the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

True, but to be honest if this works out he would deserve the Nobel peace prize more than Obama did who was oddly awarded the prize while overseeing a massive drone program in the Middle East.

Agree, I would like to see it work first and foremost for world peace but also for my own entertainment to see how Democrats and the likes of CNN/the NYT react in the US :-D

But to be honest for now what I still see as the highest probability is that it is some kind of role playing game whereby everyone is acting as if all was fine to purse their personal agenda; which might not lead to any result in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah but being black Obama overcome massive adversity and SYSTEMIC RACISM to become president and be in a position to sanction drone strikes which surely deserves an award of some kind

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Great development, best of luck to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It would be great to see this progress and North Korea open up into an open and flourishing state. It’s a place i’d love to visit, maybe this is the start of the process.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

It would be great to see this progress and North Korea open up into an open and flourishing state. It’s a place i’d love to visit, maybe this is the start of the process.

It could be but let's not get ahead of ourselves, currently sounds like a very interesting place to visit, Henry Rollins has some interesting stories about visiting the place a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Wonder what the Chinese government are planning behind the scenes ,i get the feelings if this goes too well a localised conflict could break needing a Chinese intervention inside of NK

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote:
    Wonder what the Chinese government are planning behind the scenes ,i get the feelings if this goes too well a localised conflict could break needing a Chinese intervention inside of NK

The reality is, all stakeholders are 'planning behind the scenes', always be wary!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »

you think china doesn;t want peace between the two Koreas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I think it may be more of a fear of the two Koreas becoming more friendly, and China losing some of its influence.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

TBH, as far as China is concerned the most important thing by far is to not have US troops at its border. Pretty much everything else is a parameter in the strategy to achieve that goal and can be adjusted as required (having a divided neighbour and a communist buffer between China and a capitalist country is an added bonus they won’t mind preserving though, but to me the primary goal is to keep US troops away).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Of course the avoidance of any conflict and particularly a nuclear one is to be welcomed. But a peaceful resolution on the Korean peninsula is likely to leave Kim and his descendants in power for decades to come. And that won't do the people of NK any good at all.
    I cannot see the North agreeing to a reduction of their military or a democratisation of their political system. So the starving masses of the country will continue to suffer under this regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

silverharp wrote: »
    well done president Trump
    What? I don't know if this is sarcasm?
    When Trump was threatening to incinerate North Korea it was Russia and China who were calling for dialogue and not a military escalation.
    The conspiracy theory forum is that way
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I think it may be more of a fear of the two Koreas becoming more friendly, and China losing some of its influence.

China's biggest fear would be the US and SK invading NK. They would lose their buffer. I've no doubt they told NK to make nice so this doesn't happen. If NK is a nuclear power with the ability to strike the US, they are in a much better place for negotiations too. They'll make some token gestures to get sanctions reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No the biggest threat to China isn't US troops on it's borders.
    But a unified and democracatic Korea would be create a military threat to China as well as a massive economic threat on their door step.

Some of the plans announced Could lead to a unification

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But a unified and democracatic Korea would be create a military threat to China as well as a massive economic threat on their door step.

I think we are a very long way away from a unified Korea.

Some of the plans announced Could lead to a unification
    Both are unlikely scenarios, The Chinese could muster a much larger force that Korea could ever contemplate mustering, then why would Korea attack China?
    Any possible future reunification would be conditional on the US removing its forces from SK as a first step. Without that condition China would stop it dead.

And as for economic threat, it would be Korea that is being threatened by the massively growing Chinese manufacturing industry in quality products that SK excels in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Kim only came down South to try the food..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

backspin. wrote: »
    Kim only came down South to try the food..

He doesn't look a fella that is starved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

1mM3A65.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

1mM3A65.png

More accurately:

Gravel........ Can I eat that?

“Trump Should Win The Nobel Peace Prize, South Korea's Moon Says”

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/30/607008627/trump-should-win-the-nobel-peace-prize-south-korea-s-moon-says

Now it’s getting fun :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Trump Should Win The Nobel Peace Prize

lmfao

Best laugh I've had all year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Obvious candidate is Kim Jong Un's sister.

Obvious candidate is Kim Jong Un's sister.

I’d be in two minds between giving it to Hilary Clinton or Park Geun-hye. Their absence from the political scene is probably doing a lot more for peace than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Obama should not have received the Peace Prize but Trump would be just as undeserving. Might as well give it jointly to him and Putin for all their threats and posturing. I'd like to see it go to someone who has made actual efforts in bringing peace to an area without threatening violence, even if they haven't been successful yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wasn't there historic talks back in 2000, and yet here we are!
    Normally this would be cause for relief, but it is North Korea we are dealing with (they think they will re-unite the peninsula for the glory of their workers).

Advertisement