Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai want ban on people photographing and recording them on duty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

There's already loads of videos on Youtube of guards (wrongly) informing people that it's illegal to film them in public. All the people here saying "they should ban publishing videos online without the guards consent" are living on fantasy island if they think that if such a law is passed, the guards won't abuse it and use it to stop anyone filming them whatsoever.

Is anyone saying that? Again, the motion was to ban the taking AND publishing with the intent to identify. Three ingredients of the crime. You have to take the picture, you have to publish it and you have to have the intent to identify the Garda. If you only do one i.e. take the photo, it would not be a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

There's already loads of videos on Youtube of guards (wrongly) informing people that it's illegal to film them in public. All the people here saying "they should ban publishing videos online without the guards consent" are living on fantasy island if they think that if such a law is passed, the guards won't abuse it and use it to stop anyone filming them whatsoever.

Such idiotic timing from Garda management to propose something like this when the forces reputation and integrity is in absolute tatters.

As much as I find it hard to believe the latest opinion polls, according to todays media reports, has them with plenty of public support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Donal55 wrote: »
    As much as I find it hard to believe the latest opinion polls, according to todays media reports, has them with plenty of public support.

How true is that or is the public support from the usual suspects in government? No public representative should go near them until they start on the road to reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I think this is perfectly fine. How would you like being a guard and constantly having camera phones being shoved in your face and the footage being manipulated.

How would you like being the subject of Guards doing the bollix and being legally prevented from filming them and/or making it public? Every one of them should be made to wear body cameras.

Filming the police has held them to account in a way that practically nothing else has; whether it's thugs attacking Reclaim protestors in Dublin or police murdering people in America.

The last thing the cops need in Ireland is less accountability.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Garda Want To Ban People Photographing and Recording Them on Duty. So The Garda Can Suppress Evidence Of Wrongdoing by Garda . Look What Happened in Los Angeles Police Department With Video Footage of **** (RODNEY KING)*****.

complete and total nonsense ?

rodney king ?? go and read the information before you comment ffs :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

If the proposed law is focused entirely on posting the videos on social media why not just drop the first part about making the images altogether and just go with the bit about posting them?

This should keep the supporters of the proposal happy because, are they are so keen to point out, making the video has no relevance whatever to the proposed law.

If it doesn't satisfy them they must actually be anxious to put an anti democratic videoing ban in place by hiding it under a reasonable proposal on posting images.

Such idiotic timing from Garda management to propose something like this when the forces reputation and integrity is in absolute tatters.

under section 30 of the offences against the state act it is illegal to file garda stations

you read the link right ?
    that is a motion by some one at a AGSI conference, mid level management not garda management

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't think they are getting the public reaction they want, they have started to double down on the narrative, new article in the independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

FTA69 wrote: »

The last thing the cops need in Ireland is less accountability.

Trial by social media is not holding someone accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Calhoun wrote: »
    I don't think they are getting the public reaction they want, they have started to double down on the narrative, new article in the independent.

They should of come here. Plenty of sympathy in this thread for that narrative without thinking through what the impact of the purposal and the implication it has freedom of expression.

Great to see the NUJ calling them out on this.
    “The motion could also criminalise the taking of photographs of State occasions and the photographing of public buildings such as Leinster House, for example. It is in all likelihood incapable of implementation but the ideology behind the proposal raises serious concerns.â€

What strikes me more is the new narritive does less to support the call for a ban.
    There are laws in relation to harassment but that takes a considerable amount of time to investigate and it's too late because it's on social media.â€

So they admit they already have laws to deal with the underling problem they want to address but (and I sh*te you not) it takes too long but by adding new laws banning videoing, all that time required will magically disappear?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

If Garda Want To Ban on people Photographing and Video Recording Them on duty. Then All Video/Digital/cctv evidence has to banned in Courts of Law and Let the Scum Walk Free . What Have The Garda to hide with being Video Recorded? . What about the Garda Joking about raping a Protester on Youtube Video ?.

FTA69 wrote: »
    How would you like being the subject of Guards doing the bollix and being legally prevented from filming them and/or making it public? Every one of them should be made to wear body cameras.

The rep bodies have been calling for body cameras for years. Management and / or government have made no effort to bring them in.

Garda Brutality outside dail peaceful protest 2013 caught on camera. Corrib Garda Rape Joke caught on tape. all on youtube.and Garda where on duty when this happened. so now Garda do not want us to see this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Reati wrote: »
    It's funny that the a number of people have posted this comment about a camera shoved in one's face. I bet if you ask any random number of guards that doesn't happen as often as people here are making it. QUOTE]

I'm not a guard so I'm replying to your comment in a slightly different context. I am an emergency services worker in the fire service. I can safely say that nearly every scene we go to now has someone filming on a mobile phone. It doesn't matter if its a wheelie bin on fire, a house fire or a person lying crushed under a truck. There is always a moran with a phone willing to film it.

I presume it's no different for the Gardai especially in city centers with large volumes of people around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Paulzx wrote: »

I'm not a guard so I'm replying to your comment in a slightly different context. I am an emergency services worker in the fire service. I can safely say that nearly every scene we go to now has someone filming on a mobile phone. It doesn't matter if its a wheelie bin on fire, a house fire or a person lying crushed under a truck. There is always a moran with a phone willing to film it.

I presume it's no different for the Gardai especially in city centers with large volumes of people around

While I respect your opinion and have no doubt you and the police both experience this day to day, it is different to what was stated. Are these people are right up in your face with the camera. That's the assertion people are making. That people are shoving a camera in your face and egging you on to get a rise.

That's very different to some idiot standing nearby filming which I agree is annoying but you can thank social news sites for enjoying that crap.

BUT Garda Maurice McCabe Secretly Recorded in his meeting with Garda and the Recording Contradicted the account of Mc Cabes alleged confession now there where on duty to and now the Garda want to Ban this recording on duty. This To me is like North Korea in my Opinion this is a law gone to far the have laws like this .

If Garda Want To Ban on people Photographing and Video Recording Them on duty. Then All Video/Digital/cctv evidence has to banned in Courts of Law and Let the Scum Walk Free . What Have The Garda to hide with being Video Recorded? . What about the Garda Joking about raping a Protester on Youtube Video ?.

go and read the rest of the thread for gods sake and stop the agenda ranting will you

mynamejeff wrote: »
    go and read the rest of the thread for gods sake and stop the agenda ranting will you
    I was talking Friend of mine who owns CCTV Camera Systems com. and he know the law when it comes to Video Recording and he told me this law would never work because then people would not to want be video recorded in shops, ,gyms, etc ever where there is a camera or CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That does not seem to be the point in this at all.

It seems to be about identifying individual Garda members and putting their pics and home details of social media. That's putting their families at risk.
    Surely you disagree with that.

Not unless the criminal justice system starts actually dealing with Gardai found to have engaged in wrongdoing, which at present it tends not to.

I was talking Friend of mine who owns CCTV Camera Systems com. and he know the law when it comes to Video Recording and he told me this law would never work because then people would not to want be video recorded in shops, ,gyms, etc ever where there is a camera or CCTV.

again , you dont understand what the issue is . why would you comment on it ?

its about criminals and the various social media parasites using pictures and footage to harass and threaten state employees.

apart from some of the more obnoxious water warriors there is a fella in from mayo who actively targets police judges and anyone else who interferes with his nutty agenda

• Advertisement

its about criminals and the various social media parasites using pictures and footage to harass and threaten state employees.

That's what they say it's about. Do you honestly believe it? It has about as much to do with protection from criminals as the ban on homosexuality had to do with public health. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

apart from some of the more obnoxious water warriors there is a fella in from mayo who actively targets police judges and anyone else who interferes with his nutty agenda

Its not a one way street either. Don't believe with posting details online but defo recommend the filming of Gardai.
    They're not all angels as the McBrearty's, Ian Bailey and Maurice McCabe and John Wilson will testify to.

Rumours also that a person was badly beaten in Dublin city fairly recently by AGS too. Thankfully plenty of witnesses and plenty of footage. I believe a few TDs are privy to the info also.

That's what they say it's about. Do you honestly believe it? It has about as much to do with protection from criminals as the ban on homosexuality had to do with public health. :rolleyes:

if thats the case why have they been looking for body cams for years now ?

Calls for ban on photographing and recording gardai on duty. agsi members will call for it to made illegal to photograph or video a garda member in course of their duty. without that members consent and then post this image [ Any Media?] . So say we have a prime time undercover recording gardai misconduct while on duty this would now be illegal for rte to do?.

if thats the case why have they been looking for body cams for years now ?

Would they operate non-stop during the line of duty, and who would control the subsequent release or withholding of the resulting recorded footage?

If it would be that such footage would be streamed constantly to a server outside the control of AGS - a GSOC maintained server, for instance - then I'd support such a proposal and consider dropping my objections to this new proposal.

Donal55 wrote: »
    Its not a one way street either. Don't believe with posting details online but defo recommend the filming of Gardai.
    They're not all angels as the McBrearty's, Ian Bailey and Maurice McCabe and John Wilson will testify to.

Rumours also that a person was badly beaten in Dublin city fairly recently by AGS too. Thankfully plenty of witnesses and plenty of footage. I believe a few TDs are privy to the info also.

agreed totally , its not a one way street but again , body worn cams are a solution

i havent heard that rumor but if there was video it would be clear no ? rather that some lad saying one thing happened and the media running amok with it.

Would they operate non-stop during the line of duty, and who would control the subsequent release or withholding of the resulting recorded footage?

If it would be that such footage would be streamed constantly to a server outside the control of AGS - a GSOC maintained server, for instance - then I'd support such a proposal and consider dropping my objections to this new proposal.

the garda radios are recorded for 7 years i think , by the company that sold them ,

id say the budget for dropboxing type system like that would be huge and unlikey for a force that cant afford proper cars equipment of manpower,

i think that the most of the systems that already exist use digital time stamps to maintain the footage,

GSOC are hardly impartial and also incredibly incompantant , they couldn't even figure out their own wifi ffs :pac::pac:

Not unless the criminal justice system starts actually dealing with Gardai found to have engaged in wrongdoing, which at present it tends not to.

There are gardai before the courts on numerous charges

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are gardai before the courts on numerous charges

And yet we have judges letting them out of jail after conviction, specifically because they're Gardai.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0527/foleyd.html

I mean, as long as this kind of sh!te goes on, is it any wonder that people see public vilification as a decent alternative?

• Advertisement

As opposed to the hundreds of offenders who get suspended sentences all the time?

Advertisement