Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2017 babies club

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

You can mix formula with regular milk, reducing the amount of formula each time.It's usually how I do it, mine take a while to adjust to full milk.(we warm up bottles).Eventually it will just be a bedtime thing, and maybe one at naptime - probably why she seemed to want it after lunch. It kind of becomes a comfort thing and you can reduce the overall amount in the bottle as you go too, depending on how much you want it included in her sleep routines.

I know some people say pre-walkers from Clarkes and the like are a bit of a money spinner but honestly, take a look at them and compare them to the penneys/dunnes etc pre-walker style shoes ....there is no comparison.I have used little leather bootees from Shoebee (or equivalent) for my lot, they give them a bit of grip as we have all wooden floors, but don't restrain their feet in any way.In the case of my youngest, they also stop him from whipping his socks off at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Milly33 wrote: »
    Thank you ladies, yeah she is walking yet any day now haha, we are forever saying that. Yeah they are really more for show and to keep her feet warm but still she just bawls her toes up so there isnt a hope. Felt bad today taking her shopping sure she pulled the socks off in the car and when i opened the door they fell out into a puddle, so had to go around with bare feet (she was in the trolley so not bad)..

Another one, how did ye all go with reducing the formula to reg milk. As in did ye still give it through the bottle? I started this week now with 2 formula bottles and they any other drink is out of the cup. Seems to be good so far but she was kinda looking for the bottle id say after her lunch. Just pondering how everyone esle went about it

How much formula is she getting a day now? How is she with the sippy cup...my fella drinks small vol of water from it but loves to keep shaking it up and down rather than drink it

A lot of baby shoes are for show and not for walking as there to soft ,
    We got our little one fitted ones in Clarkes 3 weeks ago she is flying around in them she was 13 months old when we got them

Are they the prewalkers or the actual shoes? How long was she walking before ye got them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,537 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

donkey10 wrote: »
    Are they the prewalkers or the actual shoes? How long was she walking before ye got them?

They are the shoes
    She was only walking 5 days on her own when we went to get them but she went from using the wall and presses to keep her self up to running in a day ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah ok thank you all,so not doing bad then.. She is on two bottles of formula now a 6oz going to bed and then 4oz in the morning after brekkie.. So really it is just that to cut it out..She never took to sippy cups or any bottle that is not formula which is great but a little annoying, she prefers to drink from a cup no lid.. Which is mighty but means you have she to watch that she doesnt spill it all over herself..

these shoes are just the prewalker type ones

• Advertisement

Ah ok thank you all,so not doing bad then.. She is on two bottles of formula now a 6oz going to bed and then 4oz in the morning after brekkie.. So really it is just that to cut it out..She never took to sippy cups or any bottle that is not formula which is great but a little annoying, she prefers to drink from a cup no lid.. Which is mighty but means you have she to watch that she doesnt spill it all over herself..

these shoes are just the prewalker type ones

I really need to cut my lad out. i think he is on way too much - 6oz in morning, 7oz lunch and 9oz before bed. he only just turned 13 months.
    he is a great eater during the day too though so its not that he is getting little food. what would she eat in a day like what is a typical portion size

ah the prewalkers ya i never really bothered with them - should had ones on for show before he started walking - i must fit him properly this weekend as he is walking the last month and a half

Right glad to hear that we werent the only ones not putting the pre walkers on the little ones.. I saw lots of babies with them on and I was like mmm maybe we should be better at it.. But thank u..

Does sound like a lot alright but then boys are so differant to girls, I just kinda started cutting down based on what the book said and also when she started to not finish her bottles.

Her typical day would be
    Brekkie - 4oz of formula (after her food gives me time to hoover :) ) A few rice crispies to play with while i get her food ready, then either porridge, weetabix followed by a piece of fruit. Then just before her nap she has some yogurt or some small nibble

Lunch - now a drink from a beaker with soup or a selection of cheese and fruit, mini sandwhich something like that. (3-4 tablesp)

Dinner - then is a drink and meat and veg or a veg (portion size would be around 3 -4 tablespoons)

Bedtime then is 6oz of formula

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

We've just cut our 14 month old down to 2 bottles in the last few days. She doesn't have a big appetite so trying not to fill her up on milk and to increase her food intake. She is still on formula as we have just moved her off Neocate and onto Hipp. Not sure its working but will give it another while and see.

She isnt walking and making no signs of taking off. She has been standing and walking while supported since October but no interest in walking herself although she loves flying around with her doll and buggy. Doesnt stand unaided apart from a second if we are about to pick her up.

Is anyone's little one still breast feeding ?
    We have started to try ween her off but its tuff work ,at the moment she is down to just wanting some at bed time

OSI wrote: »
    Our own lad would be similar to the above but he's been on oat milk instead of formula for a little over a month now.

Our little girl loves her oat milk

• Advertisement

Right glad to hear that we werent the only ones not putting the pre walkers on the little ones.. I saw lots of babies with them on and I was like mmm maybe we should be better at it.. But thank u..

Does sound like a lot alright but then boys are so differant to girls, I just kinda started cutting down based on what the book said and also when she started to not finish her bottles.

Her typical day would be
    Brekkie - 4oz of formula (after her food gives me time to hoover :) ) A few rice crispies to play with while i get her food ready, then either porridge, weetabix followed by a piece of fruit. Then just before her nap she has some yogurt or some small nibble

Lunch - now a drink from a beaker with soup or a selection of cheese and fruit, mini sandwhich something like that. (3-4 tablesp)

Dinner - then is a drink and meat and veg or a veg (portion size would be around 3 -4 tablespoons)

Bedtime then is 6oz of formula

What type of beaker do you use? yeah he would be eating very similar although he always seems to be hungry! he loves eating those kiddylicious wafers or ellas kitchen finger biscuits as snacks. i dont mind giving him them when there is no sugar in them and they are organic.

lashes34 wrote: »
    We've just cut our 14 month old down to 2 bottles in the last few days. She doesn't have a big appetite so trying not to fill her up on milk and to increase her food intake. She is still on formula as we have just moved her off Neocate and onto Hipp. Not sure its working but will give it another while and see.

She isnt walking and making no signs of taking off. She has been standing and walking while supported since October but no interest in walking herself although she loves flying around with her doll and buggy. Doesnt stand unaided apart from a second if we are about to pick her up.

What is Hipp? Do you still give the formula in a bottle? I read articles where we should have them drinking out of a beaker but my lad just messes with a beaker so it wouldnt work.

ah one of these days now shel take off when you least expect it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We have started to try ween her off but its tuff work ,at the moment she is down to just wanting some at bed time

I’m still breastfeeding but no plans to wean so can’t help with any advice.

I think the appetite comes when tis ready. I remember in the books it saying they should be on three kinda big enough meals a day and it gives examples but there was no way she would eat lets say two main dinners.. She loves the nibbles too I try to be good with the ingrediants too Donkey, i found organicxs great. The sugar doesnt actually bother me once it is natural or real sugars..

Herself isnt walking unaidd either yetm very close but tis mostly is she is holding onto something..

The beaker I trip was one tomrr tippee sippy cup (had to take the sippy thing off it), then tried another kinda bottle no way, then got that magic beaker in smyths and its like just give me the cup. So we just use a plastic cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

I have just finished the feeding about 10 days ago and yes it’s tough going! It took months to finally finish it off completely! I would say from about 10 months I would not have considered a breastfeed one of her drinks it was just comfort! But she was so slow to drop that comfort...

My husband started to put her to sleep at night by rocking her and it she got used to him and was fine going to sleep! But if I went to her at night or to put her to sleep she would look for me to feed her! After months of my husband putting her to bed she only recently has gotten into the habit of going into the room cuddling into my husband and her teddy and rocking off to sleep within 10 mins after her bedtime routine! So one evening I said I’d try it, everything was the same except me heading in and she went off to sleep! Same as she did my husband! That was about 3 weeks ago!

I finished up then 10 days ago! Now I can’t lie beside her in the bed I used feed her in as she still would expect me to feed her and I still have milk! She also has looked to be breastfed twice since I started which is upsetting but I think now is better than in a few Months as she will get more headstrong! No idea when my milk will dry up!

So pretty much any association she has with feeding needs to be broken and replaced before you can drop it I felt! Hard to do! I hope this helps!

God it sounds like it wasnt easy on any of ye Pocos but great I am sure to get it over with. As you say better now than later one when she is more headstrong.. I am sure with the bond ye have that it cannot be easy to let it go either, but the freedom for ye will be great...

Fair play Pocos! It is hard to wean off it. I did it for 6 months and i did feel sad but i really had no other choice he was sucha hungry baby he was on me the whole time!

The sunshine!! Oh isnt it great i was thinking about swimming already haha might wait for another spell of good weather.. It is just great though as the weather is normally wet and wild here..

Well tis been a fun week, cant say much now but yep.. Herself has been throwing some temper tantrums this week. Tis hard trying to see how to manage them.. At the start i used to respond when she went off on with the tears and now im like mm well just let you have your moment and we will carry on.. She nearly pulled my nose off because I would not let her have a granola bar :) the joys.. All else is great planning our first family holiday (all together) hopefully twill be nice.. Cant wait for a break..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah same here, our daughters gotten very clingy and anything she wants but can't have she just falls onto the floor in a tantrum.

Tantrums galore here too, mostly when I don’t pick him up. I was trying to make dinner on Sunday and he was over pulling on my leg roaring crying. His dad picked him up instead but no good, tears and the whole lot. Of course as soon as I took him he was happy out again.

• Advertisement

Yeah in a way, we are not alone then. God tis trying at times isnt it..I was watching a movie the last day cant think of the name but something about training kids as such, and was actually thinking about the noise gimmic they used in it. Make a noise that they associate with doing something to put them off doing it.. mmmm I wonder haha Birthmarked that was it

t

bee06 wrote: »
    Tantrums galore here too, mostly when I don’t pick him up. I was trying to make dinner on Sunday and he was over pulling on my leg roaring crying. His dad picked him up instead but no good, tears and the whole lot. Of course as soon as I took him he was happy out again.

Guess where all in the same boat,
    Last 2 weeks she has become super glingly She won't let us put her down at all , her poor mam gets it worse than I do ,

Guess where all in the same boat,
    Last 2 weeks she has become super glingly She won't let us put her down at all , her poor mam gets it worse than I do ,

All part of the current leap. Doesn’t make it easier when I’m trying to get the dinner cooked but what can you do

God i hope the leap finishes soon, my back is broken from picking her up putting her down..

I have to have a little bit of a rant here sorry but it really has me boiling.. Just went shopping and im sorry but what is it with people and the parent and baby spots.. People are just so ignorant in the local shopping spot..

You have (and i must say a lot of the time it is women which is more annoying as we should know better) but parking first off in the spot when there are no kids in tow,
    also the ones who park there and sit in the car with the kids while someone else goes in shopping..
    And now correct me if im wrong but if your kids are walking and running i dont think you should be parking there...
    It drives me so mad.. rant over

Right there with you Milly! My husband has had to talk me down on multiple occasions after similar rants. One day we came out and someone had parked in the gap between our car and the car in the parent and child spot next to us! They were lucky they weren’t anywhere to be seen!

Really, jes id be raging... People are just so ignorant it drives me mad.. Haha it was my husband was with me today too and he was egging me on, but if he had not been there i would have gone up to them and said something...

I was bold one day and actually left a note on someones car as they parked so close to me, as in they made no attempt to park in the lines, jammed me so i had to climb in the passengar seat. Just left a note saying it is always nice to leave space

Yeah same here. He seems to be going for his dad though and he isnt looking after him as much as me with work etc. I find he has to get his own way like i was brushin his teeth and then he had to have the brush and hes very strong so him kickinh the legs while me trying to hold him makes it so difficult.

Hes with a childminder 2 days a week and she looks after another boy whos 4 month older than him. So when the other boy doesnt pass stuff back to him after he passin to him he starts pullin his jumper as if to wressle him. Then the other boy starts crying. I hope its all part of development and its not a sign of him going to be an angry person!

God i hope the leap finishes soon, my back is broken from picking her up putting her down..

I have to have a little bit of a rant here sorry but it really has me boiling.. Just went shopping and im sorry but what is it with people and the parent and baby spots.. People are just so ignorant in the local shopping spot..

You have (and i must say a lot of the time it is women which is more annoying as we should know better) but parking first off in the spot when there are no kids in tow,
    also the ones who park there and sit in the car with the kids while someone else goes in shopping..
    And now correct me if im wrong but if your kids are walking and running i dont think you should be parking there...

So with you on that one like i dont think people have the cop not to park there they see it as a quicker way to the shop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I disagree. I have a school going child, preschooler and a 15 month old (all of whom walk and run) and I think I have every right to park there. More so than when I only had one kid. It’s more dangerous when you have kids walking and running than when you just have one stationary baby. I think in the north the limit is age 7 which seems fair to me as by then, you would expect a child to be reasonably sensible in traffic. It’s my pet peeve seeing people with no kids use them though. I’ve said to loads of people and a couple listened and moved but I stopped after being verbally advised and roared at. Was really shook after that one.

• Advertisement

We should have a play date OSI minit Hitler could meet the honey badger... Jes the moods are insane, herself just wants to be constantly up and then down and then just shouts demands...

Shouted at Anne doesnt sound nice, haha you should have parked behind them and blocked them in.. I am very tempted to do that some day... I suppose well hit some areas that are valid with having older kids, although in my head the spots are more for if you have buggies etc wider parking and that.. But still kids are always good to have when parking in the spots :)...

Advertisement