Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fake of a person are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There is an idea of a paleoperson; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real paleoperson: only an entity, something illusory. And though he can hide his cold gaze, and you can shake his hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense your lifestyles are probably comparable... he simply is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I always have an image of Harry Flashman when I read a post by Aongus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Whatever gene you need in order to be able to fake the various attributes of being a people person, or to be able to manipulate others to your own ends, I just don't have. Trying to fake liking people I don't or showing interest where I have none is next to impossible for me.
    Life would be a lot easier if I could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

100 Per Cent Truly Genuine Person I am.

Yoda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Brutal honesty is the best policy

Sugar coating is for cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Be yourself.

Worst advice ever.

At work I'm different than I am at home. Just as well they'd walk all over me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

I just don't like people. I tolerate some people but mostly I hate them.
    I do put on an act to friends but I always find faults.

We are all going to end up dead with maggots eating my balls anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I'm quite fake at times. I'm not dishonest and I don't hurt or cheat people, but I'd blow smoke up anyone's arse. It goes a long way.

I first noticed it when I was 17. I was working in this posh lady's house and I spent the whole week complimenting her on her home, her gardens, her successful children. I don't know why really. I was quite poor and I guess I was either impressed, intimidated or both.

When we were finishing up on the Friday she gave me her Technics sound system. She said she was upgrading, and I'm sure she was, but the system she gave me was in mint condition and still on the market for €1200.

Since then it's benefited me a lot, from the free use of villas in Spain to getting my return flights to Australia paid for. And last year I landed a job with a law firm as a result of it. None of it from friends or people close to me. Just people I rub shoulders with that like listening to nice things being said about them and their families.

Call it kissing ass, networking, whatever. It's ruthless and I'm good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

I am a different person when I visit the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Paleblood wrote: »
    I'm quite fake at times. I'm not dishonest and I don't hurt or cheat people, but I'd blow smoke up anyone's arse. It goes a long way.

I first noticed it when I was 17. I was working in this posh lady's house

When we were finishing up on the Friday she said she was upgrading

Methaphorically kissing ass,or just a week's rimming?Either ways,I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'm not Maud Gonne,
    Not Maud Gonne,
    No I'm not Maud Gonne,
    Not Maud Gonne
    I'm not Maud Gonne,
    Not Maud Gonne,
    No I'm not Maud Gonne,
    Not Maud Gonne

No I'm not Maud Gonne
    (But then again neither was she.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I always have an image of Harry Flashman when I read a post by Aongus.

Harry may be flash,but gaudiness doesn't equate to class .To appreciate gussys musings,having some class is a pre-requisite. I'd probably be overstepping the mark by describing him as a misunderstood genius,but then again,a great poster would be an understatement so Aongus is in a limbo of sorts.The marmite of after hours if you will.Ive certainly learnt a lot of things about myself over the past few years as a direct result of his cryptic nuggets of wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm not even a little bit fake and it doesn't help you get by being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I keeps it real!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I reckon you're more like this ;
    Irish Culture Materialistic race of People all about 171 Cars , New Houses , etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Agendas.
    Guile.
    Two faced natures.
    Public face versus private thoughts.
    House devil and street angel.
    Treating people differently according to usefulness and rank in the social pecking order.
    Power games.
    These social phenomena I find very uncomfortable dealing with or taking into account in my dealings with "normal" human beings.
    For 52 yrs I thought that I was the same and functioned the same as other human beings. For 52 yrs I was bullied, ostracised and isolated by a significant number of people that I was associated with through school, work and in a social context.

Then I was diagnosed with Aspergers and began to find out my true nature as a person apart and different to most other people on the planet.

I no longer feel guilty about acting in my day to day interactions with people.

I have spent the past 6 years learning about "normal" people and learning how to cope with them and "blending in" without feeling like a fraud.

Everyone has their own limitations, fears, phobias etc which they hide or minimise in the public space.

Hopefully I have learned to do the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sure I think I'm lovely......but sometimes I catch myself being a bit false..

Maybe its the only way to hold on to one's sanity......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Paleblood wrote: »

I first noticed it when I was 17. I was working in this posh lady's house and I spent the whole week complimenting her on her home, her gardens, her successful children. I don't know why really. I was quite poor and I guess I was either impressed, intimidated or both.

When we were finishing up on the Friday she gave me her Technics sound system. She said she was upgrading, and I'm sure she was, but the system she gave me was in mint condition and still on the market for €1200.

Since then it's benefited me a lot, from the free use of villas in Spain to getting my return flights to Australia paid for. And last year I landed a job with a law firm as a result of it. None of it from friends or people close to me. Just people I rub shoulders with that like listening to nice things being said about them and their families.

You sound like a really nice person , and I bet ur really good at your job , you deserve all the good that's coming to you........;)

I'd love to go on a nice holiday to Spain....if only I could afford it . ;(

I used to be a lot more diplomatic.

Now, I find honesty and sincerity just so much easier in the long run. If I don't like someone, I won't pretend I do. If, say, I don't like a friend's behaviour, I'll say it to them. Have lost a few friends who deserved criticism but couldn't handle it...pffffffffft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm generally sincere in my dealings with people. But I'm less honest with my family. It's sometimes easier than the row if I told them some home truths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Well, my real name is not B00! ;) soooo....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

My glum exterior belies a truly miserable **** underneath. People I don't like I just don't talk with and if someone irritates me its usually because I see some reflection of myself so I try to keep that in mind when communicating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If we were all upfront and not fake all of the time there would be a lot of confrontation/violence..

I don't like being told that i am an idiot /moron (even though I am at least some of the time )

We just wouldn't be able to cope in a 'Non Fake "world..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Generally at work I would be 'fake' in terms of not saying what I think of people. More diplomatic than is my nature But I can't suffer fools and the mask slips every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I think we all wear masks in certain situations but generally I consider myself very real. What you see is what you get with me and I won't pretend to be something I'm not.

I probably wore a mask a lot more in my late teens and early twenties but now that I'm 30 I am confident in my own skin and see no need to present a front to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

im not even that angry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

me_irl wrote:
    Fake it 'til you make it. Just look at Trump.

Just the 8 posts for the first needless reference to have a pop at Donnie T.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Chinese people love it when you call them fake (knock off) people, because they were made in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

neonsofa wrote: »
    In work I would be quite fake because the people who present to me need me to be put together and knowledgeable and calm. I rarely actually am. I also pretend to understand them moreso than I actually do, not in a malicious way, but if they find something difficult or frustrating, I will try to empathise with them so that they don't feel like I am frustrated or belittling their fristration. Sometimes I feel very false because I am thinking one thing but saying another, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't do that. I suppose ideally my thoughts/feelings should match how I behave but in reality they don't always so I have to pretend for the sake of those I am trying to help.

Everybody else knows I'm a mess though. I don't try to hide that if I'm not being paid to :pac:

I hope your not a doctor.

Advertisement