Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How fake of a person are you?

Options
  • 06-04-2017 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

I feel like I am such a fake person.

I rarely respect or like people the way I pretend to. I generally do it because I find it makes things easier for me.

I try and figure people out, to think out what they would expect of me or like me to say. Sometimes I plan conversations, to make myself seem smarter or informed etc.. It's not a proper way to deal with people at all, is it?

What do you think, and how fake are you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

We all wear a mask, some do it more than others, but we all do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

That sounds like a lot of wasted energy, because ultimately ... who cares anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

I feel like I am such a fake person.

I rarely respect or like people the way I pretend to. I generally do it because I find it makes things easier for me.

I try and figure people out, to think out what they would expect of me or like me to say. Sometimes I plan conversations, to make myself seem smarter or informed etc.. It's not a proper way to deal with people at all, is it?

What do you think, and how fake are you?

I do this all the time. I'd imagine we are not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

My own morsel of wisdom:
    Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Possibly my wife is the only one who knows or who has ever known the real me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

My username says it all :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Fake it 'til you make it. Just look at Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We all pretend.
    It's a coping mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The Japanese have a proverb saying you have three faces, coined by a Jesuit missionary. The first face, you show to the world. The second face, you show to your close friends, and your family. The third face, you never show anyone. It is the truest reflection of who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I am as I appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

dashoonage may or may not be my real name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its sometimes better to pretend or lie than be honest. I try to be honest & imo it gets you into more trouble & issues than being "fake" ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

In work I would be quite fake because the people who present to me need me to be put together and knowledgeable and calm. I rarely actually am. I also pretend to understand them moreso than I actually do, not in a malicious way, but if they find something difficult or frustrating, I will try to empathise with them so that they don't feel like I am frustrated or belittling their fristration. Sometimes I feel very false because I am thinking one thing but saying another, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't do that. I suppose ideally my thoughts/feelings should match how I behave but in reality they don't always so I have to pretend for the sake of those I am trying to help.

Everybody else knows I'm a mess though. I don't try to hide that if I'm not being paid to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd consider myself polite to almost everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If I were money then I'd be a three pound note

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭99problems

Not fake at all , people don't like me because of it. Well that and I'm an asshole

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Not fake enough

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Completely, I hate people but have always worked in a customer facing role so I have the fake smile, tone of voice and just general pleasantness. But see me in person, I'm a surly b1tch type that doesn't want to be disturbed.... Delightful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Well its either acting fake or jailtime so...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Respect is earned not expected. I have my close friends, just one or two, who get my weird kind of ****ed up humour, but I still put on some form of manliness to feel alpha like we always do.
    With my other colleagues I try and make jokes as often as I can, Since I was young and a friend of mine who was always very outgoing went away for a few weeks, I started cracking jokes and being a bit more outgoing. It just stuck and now that's my personality among friends.
    With my mother, who I'm very close to, and my missus, I think I'm at my most natural, just making fun and laughing.
    I think it depends who you're with, and it's only human nature to have a few different personality qualities to adapt to, it's being naturally adaptive and important. Those who are the same everywhere tend to be less successful and tend to bumble a lot more.
    Like acting like you're at the bar when you're at work. It's fine to to have a standard level, that you can lean back to, but I feel that no-one is themselves all the time, you need to have professional and private personalities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Not very. I know when to keep my mouth shut and the right things to say (most of the time) but I have never constructed an identity for myself. For a long time, I didn't even realise people do that. I mean modeling themselves on someone they admire, and building their life in that sort of image, not the standard socially appropriate facade that most of us wear in order to rub along with people and tolerate personalities we'd rather not tolerate at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

"Sincereity is the most important thing, if you can fake that you have it made" heard that somewhere but don't know the source.
    Seriously I think everyone has a persona they display but I think it would be a potential problem if this is too far removed from your true self

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For good or bad, I'm afraid I'm just me. No point faking things. As for rehearing a conversation in advance... really?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I am an extremely genuine person.

I rarely hide behind the convenience of social norms to conceal my contempt if someone has vexed me due to their own execrable standards.

For instance, we have a middle aged woman called Frida who works as a general orderly in our office. Delivering mail, running errands etc. I generally have very little interaction with her as I have my own PA, Janos. Unfortunately Janos is now absent on Thursday afternoons as he is attending university part time (something I take some credit for, as my daily comments of his lack of formal education qualifications undoubtably got through to him.)

Anyway, two Thursdays ago Frida lumbered in to my office making inane small talk about the weather, her pet beagle and some other nonsense I can't quite recall. I tried to ignore her and continue with my work. The worst part is she wears some ghastly cheap perfume (along with her disastrous and unflattering fashion sense). Within 30 seconds of her presence in my office, the entire room was filled with the putrid stench of her and her perfume.

I cut across her asinine chatter and informed her that I found her aroma extremely noxious and I had neither the time nor the inclination to engage in conversation with her. I instructed her not to enter my office anymore and if she had any mail or documentation to deliver to me, she could leave it with any of the staff members outside to bring it to me. She left the room crying and had the audacity to report me to HR, despite the fact that she had invaded my office and knocked 2.5hrs of productivity from my schedule (I had to leave the office in order to let the place air out)

I always find it is much better to be genuine than to adopt a false persona and hide behind a 'nice' veneer.

I doubt anyone could ever accuse Aonghus of being less than genuine. :)

There are few people who have the ability to influence anothers life for the better in quite the way you do, Aonghus.

In a few short strokes of the blade you have cut down your erstwhile PA and built him up again, having improved his life prospects immeasurably by pointing out his inexcusable lack of education, and improved everyone elses immediate environment by banishing the malodorous Frida from the vicinity. She probably wears some vulgar, neon-packaged rubbing alcohol, promoted by Britney Spears and sold as part of a 3 for 2 offer in a chain drugstore. In short, she barely deserves to live and everyone is better off without her.

Keep up the good work, you're my role model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I cut across her asinine chatter and informed her that I found her aroma extremely noxious......... She left the room crying and had the audacity to report me to HR

Don't even start me on that HR shower,happiness reducers I call them. As for that ungrateful wench, I'd discipline that one with a heavy hand, a bit of a loose canon I'd wager.
    If I were you, I'd make a counter complaint about the toerag to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

You're too soft on them, Aongus. They'll get uppity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

I am an extremely genuine person.

I rarely hide behind the convenience of social norms to conceal my contempt if someone has vexed me due to their own execrable standards.

For instance, we have a middle aged woman called Frida who works as a general orderly in our office. Delivering mail, running errands etc. I generally have very little interaction with her as I have my own PA, Janos. Unfortunately Janos is now absent on Thursday afternoons as he is attending university part time (something I take some credit for, as my daily comments of his lack of formal education qualifications undoubtably got through to him.)

Anyway, two Thursdays ago Frida lumbered in to my office making inane small talk about the weather, her pet beagle and some other nonsense I can't quite recall. I tried to ignore her and continue with my work. The worst part is she wears some ghastly cheap perfume (along with her disastrous and unflattering fashion sense). Within 30 seconds of her presence in my office, the entire room was filled with the putrid stench of her and her perfume.

I cut across her asinine chatter and informed her that I found her aroma extremely noxious and I had neither the time nor the inclination to engage in conversation with her. I instructed her not to enter my office anymore and if she had any mail or documentation to deliver to me, she could leave it with any of the staff members outside to bring it to me. She left the room crying and had the audacity to report me to HR, despite the fact that she had invaded my office and knocked 2.5hrs of productivity from my schedule (I had to leave the office in order to let the place air out)

I always find it is much better to be genuine than to adopt a false persona and hide behind a 'nice' veneer.

You sound like someone who had some video tapes to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

We all have the Chameleon ability. It's vital to live in a world with other people.
    Sometimes it's fake, false, conscious, behaviour. Sometimes people are unaware of it - it's just a reaction to oil the wheels, avoid possibly regrettable friction.
    Where I work you get the same people turning up everyday - and they aren't exactly the same everyday. All manner of things will change their attitudes and behaviour.
    Whether we like it or not we respond differently to different people - dependent on how we feel, what we want etc.
    One of my favourites is a guy who is told so and so is on the line to him. Before he picks up the receiver he always says, "I don't want to speak to him".
    Then he puts the phone to his ear and goes, "Hello, mate, how are you?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

brevity wrote: »
    You sound like someone who had some video tapes to return.

He just wants to fit in...

Advertisement