Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kuwaiti woman lets Somali maid fall from window

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That culture exists practically everywhere.

If you were paid enough, you'd go.

I actually declined an offer to work in a gulf state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Rezident wrote: »
    Just another day in Islam - better get used to it here, Muslim births in Europe are up and their demographics are younger and they are having more children.  These people are beginning to take over Europe.  We have maybe 20 years left.  All of a sudden the Catholic Church doesn't look so bad.  :(megasadface:(
    It is what will unite Orange and Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

I actually declined an offer to work in a gulf state.
    That's interesting. My post probably should have said most people. Still though, if they offered you a stratospheric amount of money, surely you'd not decline due to humanitarian or moral reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not the case in the Muslim world.
    Exactly, Muslims still take their religion seriously, they live as the book tells them too. christians don't. They fob off the same horrible attitudes expressed in their book as metaphors, or not relevant. But for a long time Christians took the bible just as literally as Muslims. The only reason Christians seems more tolerant is because they don't take the ramblings of ancient farmers literally anymore. Many "Catholics" around today would have been heretics by the standards of the past.
    dd972 wrote: »
    This sort of attitude towards 'lessers' has increased exponentially since neoliberalism reared it's ugly pus ridden head, a person's worth is judged according to how much wealth they have, it's also evident in the Western corporate workplace which is structured like a fascist dictatorship.
    Really? What about all those centuries of kings, emperors, the british empire classifying black people as sub human so they could subvert their own humanitarian laws?

I'd agree with modern corporations acting like fascist regimes though. But compared to the working life of the average citizen 200 years ago things have improved immeasurably.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭glaswegian

That's interesting. My post probably should have said most people. Still though, if they offered you a stratospheric amount of money, surely you'd not decline due to humanitarian or moral reasons?
    why shouldn't the poster decline a "stratospheric amount of money". in these days of money worship some people have principles and morals and are prepared to stand by them.maybe you would sell your soul for some of this tainted wealth,but not everyone would,so i say fair play to suicide circus for sticking to his guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

dd972 wrote: »
    This sort of attitude towards 'lessers' has increased exponentially since neoliberalism reared it's ugly pus ridden head, a person's worth is judged according to how much wealth they have, it's also evident in the Western corporate workplace which is structured like a fascist dictatorship.

Yeah, I mean the slaves toiling away in the silver mines of ancient Athens could always say 'well I may be dead soon but at least it's not as part of the neo-liberal economic fallacy'.

Can the thread title be changed to accurately reflect the victim's nationality?

There's only one sub-human in that video, which I really regret watching. The wretch with the smartphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

Enjoy your trips to dubai folks, this is the kind of society you support when you do.

Contrary to popular belief, most people who live in Dubai are just normal people living their lives in normal ways. The really immoral hell-hole countries on this earth aren't Gulf states, but rather India, Bangladesh, and China, the first of that list being at forefront of authentic modern slavery, the likes of which doesn't exist in Dubai except as anomalies that the authorities crack down hard on. Dubai is more proximate to those countries than Europe is and is hence more of a migration magnet.

But I could equally say to you, "enjoy your iPhone folks", or "enjoy your comfy mass-produced Bangladeshi t-shirts folks; this is the kind of society you support when you do."

Ditto for all the trendies who "do Asia" by visiting the dump that is India. Do such trendies support slavery by visiting India? No. And it would be idiotic to say otherwise, just as it is idiotic to say that people somehow endorse slavery when they visit Dubai.

It's so fashionable on Boards to do down Dubai. The reality is that if more Muslim countries shared the mindset of the Emirati people, the world would be a much better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

Contrary to popular belief, most people who live in Dubai are just normal people living their lives in normal ways. The really immoral hell-hole countries on this earth aren't Gulf states, but rather India, Bangladesh, and China, the first of that list being at forefront of authentic modern slavery, the likes of which doesn't exist in Dubai except as anomalies that the authorities crack down hard on. Dubai is more proximate to those countries than Europe is and is hence more of a migration magnet.

But I could equally say to you, "enjoy your iPhone folks", or "enjoy your comfy mass-produced Bangladeshi t-shirts folks; this is the kind of society you support when you do."

Ditto for all the trendies who "do Asia" by visiting the dump that is India. Do such trendies support slavery by visiting India? No. And it would be idiotic to say otherwise, just as it is idiotic to say that people somehow endorse slavery when they visit Dubai.

It's so fashionable on Boards to do down Dubai. The reality is that if more Muslim countries shared the mindset of the Emirati people, the world would be a much better place.

Modern slavery exists in Dubai please do research before making false statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If you did say that, I'd agree. Our spending power is one of our greatest powers when it comes to influencing big business. Although the reasons would need to be heard and made understood or else it would be pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

people in the western world dont seem to realise how medieval the middle east is. It seems to be just like roman times when slaves were property that had mo meaning or value in society.

horrific culture, quick google and its clear from reading some stories that the above is the norm and not the exception to the rule. Have a read at the below article about mistreated Filipino domestic workers from Saudis and Kuwaits in London.

“The secretary of the boss took us to the building – they never, ever told us where we were going. I tried to read the papers but our employer said, ‘You are a slave. You don’t have the right to read it.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/jan/11/domestic-workers-abused-uk-london-gulf-state-employers-iron-pressed-my-hand

Advertisement