Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kuwaiti woman lets Somali maid fall from window

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Wibbs wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. FFS this self hating Ireland is a shíthole bandwagon really gets on my tits. To compare a socially backward kip like UAE to anywhere in Western Europe is beyond retarded.

It's also insulting to people who are actually suffering in these hellholes.

Get the **** mate, Where is it self hating Ireland in what I said ?

Why are you bringing up Ireland at all? There's no comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh it's not a particularly big example of it but...

Silly question to ask.

Mr wibbs , I was not equating Ireland with any country in the middle east, I was merly trying to point out that most folks never give a dam about the how the country there visiting behaves with there citizen's or workers etc. And as this is an Irish based forum & this is after hours i put in Ireland,

Maybe there are folks who came here & have issues with our country, I mean its not we treat au pairs in a great way is it,

MRCI said that Irish research showed that au pairs provide full-time and flexible childcare in homes across the country “for a fraction of minimum wage, with the average au pair being paid just €100 for at least 40 hours of childcare and domestic duties per weekâ€. 42% of au pairs surveyed received no written contract; 36% reported exploitation; 15% had to be on call at night and 13% reported not being free to leave the house after duties were done.

I am not comparing like with like with what happens in the middle east .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I can never understand why people visit Dubai. The buildings are built by Indian slaves with no safety measures in place and no regard for their lives. None of this super rich oil companies are taking Syrian refugees in as far as I know, their Muslim brothers. We really should be boycotting this farce of a World Cup, it's 100% all about money and greed.
    I haven't watched the video but I read about the jist of it and I'm not surprised at all, it's modern slave labour.

apart from the fact Dubai is an overly extravagant cultural blackhole, what a waste of money building this ****hole in the desert which will simply fall into ruin once the oil runs out as the cost of maintaining these fully glazed skyscrapers with water, cool air and electricity in a desert is just not feasible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭Tsipras

No wonder they treat women like **** if this is what they're like

Mod: Banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

robbiezero wrote: »
    Do you mean in this country?
    Nonsense.

As per this point:
    Because the woman was born poor, they think she is beneath them? Horrific culture

Yes, yes, I do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Islam teaches that women are 2nd class citizens, women have no rights, a mans word is 10 of that of a woman. The problem is Islam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I can never understand why people visit Dubai. The buildings are built by Indian slaves with no safety measures in place and no regard for their lives. None of this super rich oil companies are taking Syrian refugees in as far as I know, their Muslim brothers. We really should be boycotting this farce of a World Cup, it's 100% all about money and greed.
    I haven't watched the video but I read about the jist of it and I'm not surprised at all, it's modern slave labour.

Despite being one of the top confectionary companies in the world, Nestle has been noted for their consistent use of child labour.

It shouldn’t come as much of a shock that retail giant H&M have been caught up in child labour scandals for some time. Renowned for their use of sweatshop factories

Global cigarette giant Philip Morris is just one of many businesses to have come under attack for the use of both child and slave labour on its farms

Walmart is renowned for using questionable labour forces to get its hands on the cheapest products out there

Victoria’s Secret uses only fairtrade cotton in their products, helping to make a better life for workers in the poorest of conditions. The only trouble is that in this case, “fairtrade†comes with a pretty loose definition. On African farms, many “fairtrade†workers have complained that they lack both the funding and the resources to make a decent living from their work.

One of the most famous companies in the world, GAP have also been involved in some of the most scandalous labour issues around the globe

Apple have not always had such a good public image. Back in 2010, the company came under major media scrutiny when it was revealed that it had been employing children as young as 15 in a number of its factories overseas

but that hasn’t stopped Disney from using child labour to get their products in shops across the world. With a long and winding history in the world of sweatshop labour, Disney have been funding underhand factories for many years

Purchasing cotton from child labourers tends to be a common theme in the world of retail and across the business board, many companies are tied up in arrangements that are less than ethical. Just another brand involved in child labour scandals is Forever 21

International Labour Rights Forum threatened to release an advert revealing Hershey’s involvement in child labour during the match.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiC2s3P4I_TAhXB8RQKHSOTANUQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.careeraddict.com%2F10-companies-that-still-use-child-labor&usg=AFQjCNF51HFrlPyvbwb7lOoj7VgTYb2SEw

Where money is to be made, its profits that count not morals or decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Because the woman was born poor, they think she is beneath them? Horrific culture.
    That culture exists practically everywhere.
    Thats up to the individual. I wouldn't go on holiday to dubai just as I wouldnt have gone on holiday in apartheid era south africa
    If you were paid enough, you'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

If you were paid enough, you'd go.

Also down to individuals. If someone was paying me a great deal of money to go to Dubai, I would go, out of sheer curiosity if nothing else. Another person might not. I wouldn't have it on my list of "I must see this place" though. It's a very strange place.

• Advertisement

There is no way I'd feel comfortable in a place like Dubai. It's akin to working in apartheid South Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

What a medieval ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Islam teaches that women are 2nd class citizens, women have no rights, a mans word is 10 of that of a woman. The problem is Islam.
    Most religions treat women as second class citizens. The bible says pretty much the same thing about women being second class citizens doesn't it? The only difference is we don't listen to it anymore.

Religion is the problem, it's redundant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

ScumLord wrote: »
    Most religions treat women as second class citizens. The bible says pretty much the same thing about women being second class citizens doesn't it? The only difference is we don't listen to it anymore.

Not the case in the Muslim world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

No the problem is an underdeveloped society. I think youll find that many african christian nations treat women , and all minorities, equally terribly

Sooner the oil runs out and they are back scratching around in the desert, the better.

Which should be around 2051.Hopefully then other countries will give them them the respect they deserve. Which is none.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Eh, no. It doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

When I see scenes like this I thank my lucky stars I live in the west. So should we all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

The bible says pretty much the same thing about women being second class citizens.
    Eh, no. It doesn't.

Did you just make that up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

let me guess, Repeal the Magdalene Travellers?

Hugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

How did the maid end up in that position?

Jobridge

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

That culture exists practically everywhere.

Practically everywhere? Come off it. Looking down on people, of course. enslaving, beating, raping and murdering people who are considered to be worthless on a regular basis? Not so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Did you just make that up? :)

Seriously? Give Corinthians and Deuteronomy in particular a read. Here's some tidbits

The women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church

Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands.

I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.â€

Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

To the woman he said, “I will surely multiply your pain in childbearing; in pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you.â€

Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel

For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.

I mean, it's a mixed bag. Luke didn't seem to hate women with the burning fury that most of the other contributors did, and there's some nice stuff in Proverbs.

It's infinitely better to be a woman in the Christian than the Muslim world, but there isn't a religion on earth that doesn't have a shítty opinion of women, Islam is not remarkable in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

I miss quoted. There's a lad before me who said "em, no it doesn't"

I don't think anyone could make an argument against women being second class on that book.

I've edit my post now, cheers!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Seriously? Give Corinthians and Deuteronomy in particular a read. Here's some tidbits

I mean, it's a mixed bag. Luke didn't seem to hate women with the burning fury that most of the other contributors did, and there's some nice stuff in Proverbs.

It's infinitely better to be a woman in the Christian than the Muslim world, but there isn't a religion on earth that doesn't have a shítty opinion of women, Islam is not remarkable in that respect.

Paul was the main woman hater of that bunch. I don't know anyone who takes him seriously, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Paul was the main woman hater of that bunch. I don't know anyone who takes him seriously, though.

It's kind of comical how clearly you can picture him when you read him, even though he was writing 2000 years ago. The sort of man he was is still so familiar today like. Repressed and yet completely obsessed with sex. Poor old Paul, Mammy must have caught him at a vulnerable, formative moment and threatened to cut off his pee-pee with the scissors if he didn't stop touching it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gw80

You are right about most religions, except the old religions of pre christian Ireland and most of northern Europe for that matter, you just have to look at the amount of goddesses that were worshipped in them times, and women could hold any status that men could hold too, budica for an example,
    So yes it all went pete tong for women once middle eastern ideologies crept there way north and demonise women.

Pitty, things could be so much different today because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Apple have not always had such a good public image. Back in 2010, the company came under major media scrutiny when it was revealed that it had been employing children as young as 15 in a number of its factories overseas

Hang on a second.

I left school and was working full time when I was just gone 16, plenty of people my age would have left earlier and worked (albeit off the books) I'm not old either, late 20's.
    Should those companies be accused of exploiting child labour?
    'As young as 15' implies the youngest children where 15. Is that correct? If so I don't see the problem. If you consider a child to be anyone under 18 then there are plenty of businesses globally and probably right on your doorstep that could be on your list.
    If the conditions are appalling or inhumane I agree go after them but I think we need concentrate on reasons more specific than 'child labour'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Just another day in Islam - better get used to it here, Muslim births in Europe are up and their demographics are younger and they are having more children. These people are beginning to take over Europe. We have maybe 20 years left. All of a sudden the Catholic Church doesn't look so bad. :(megasadface:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I get the impression that servants are considered almost sub-human by some people, as if their lives aren't as important as their owners employers. Presuming the story is accurate the person filming should serve a lengthy custodial sentence.

This sort of attitude towards 'lessers' has increased exponentially since neoliberalism reared it's ugly pus ridden head, a person's worth is judged according to how much wealth they have, it's also evident in the Western corporate workplace which is structured like a fascist dictatorship.

Advertisement