Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kuwaiti woman lets Somali maid fall from window

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A miracle she survived that. F**king scum. Because the woman was born poor, they think she is beneath them? Horrific culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Ah the Middle East...a great bunch o' c.unts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Enjoy your trips to dubai folks, this is the kind of society you support when you do.

Now when does one consider the morals of ones country citizens & how they treat people stop any one from visiting them ? It would make a very long list if that were the case, I wonder would Ireland make it it on to said list ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Sooner the oil runs out and they are back scratching around in the desert, the better.

If the oil runs out we will get the pleasure of their company here in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Now when does one consider the morals of ones country citizens & how they treat people stop any one from visiting them ? It would make a very long list if that were the case, I wonder would Ireland make it it on to said list ?

Thats up to the individual. I wouldn't go on holiday to dubai just as I wouldnt have gone on holiday in apartheid era south africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I seen that yesterday and didn't watch it as the description said it all.

We can only speculate as to how she ended up on that ledge.

The "thing" holding the phone is a disgrace to humanity.

The events/actions/incidents we don't see recorded is what scares me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    A miracle she survived that. F**king scum. Because the woman was born poor, they think she is beneath them? Horrific culture.

You don't need to look to far to see that "culture" exists elsewhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Your Face wrote: »
    Its a good thing we treat our own citizens so well.
    It means I can get up on my high horse over this.

I'm not much of a one for high horses - but I think you'd be safe enough climbing up on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

There's a very distinct pecking order in parts of the Middle East. It's not everywhere, but the UAE is definitely one of them. It's probably the worst, overall. Arabs are top of the heap, followed by white Europeans, followed by anyone else, who may as well be animals or slaves (although there's even a pecking order amongst the lesser beings in the eyes of Arab society. I think Filipinos are basically the bottom of the heap). It is pretty barbaric. UAE is just plain weird though. It's like a medieval kingdom still in some ways. Incredibly rich, the people at the top act like autocrats, and the lives of poorer people don't matter. If you're low on the pecking order due to your nationality or because you're an immigrant, you're worthless. But people will go and put up with it for the chance to earn money for their families.

Tbh, I wouldn't particularly want to visit UAE. Sure, I'd like to see some of the mad things that get built over there and Dubai is probably a stunning city, but there's an awful lot of cruelty, repression and social conditioning just under the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

"My grandfather rode a Camel, my father rode a Camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a Camel"

Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai and general quote on the middle East's Oil.

Its temporary riches, they will be in the same class bracket as that poor woman in the not so distant future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Incredibly upsetting video, hard to believe there are people like that out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I can never understand why people visit Dubai. The buildings are built by Indian slaves with no safety measures in place and no regard for their lives. None of this super rich oil companies are taking Syrian refugees in as far as I know, their Muslim brothers. We really should be boycotting this farce of a World Cup, it's 100% all about money and greed.
    I haven't watched the video but I read about the jist of it and I'm not surprised at all, it's modern slave labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

major bill wrote: »
    "My grandfather rode a Camel, my father rode a Camel, I drive a Mercedes, my son drives a Land Rover, his son will drive a Land Rover, but his son will ride a Camel"

Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum - Ruler of Dubai and general quote on the middle East's Oil.

Its temporary riches, they will be in the same class bracket as that poor woman in the not so distant future.

Well, then, that's just poor investment practice if he thinks his great grandson will be picking sand grains out of his sandwiches in 50-60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭robbiezero

razorblunt wrote: »
    You don't need to look to far to see that "culture" exists elsewhere too.

Do you mean in this country?
    Nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No it wouldn't. FFS this self hating Ireland is a shíthole bandwagon really gets on my tits. To compare a socially backward kip like UAE to anywhere in Western Europe is beyond retarded.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Any chance we can save some venom and outrage on the muslims and spread a little of it across the Indian subcontinent too? Or is this just an anti middle-east circle jerk?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Delhis-indifference-towards-domestic-child-labour/articleshow/47419398.cms

http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mumbai/other//articleshow/15932324.cms?

Scum is scum...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Thats up to the individual. I wouldn't go on holiday to dubai just as I wouldnt have gone on holiday in apartheid era south africa

Would you go to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Would you go to the US?

Oh, are we playing high horse Top Trumps? Would you go to North Korea?

I WIN!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

conorhal wrote: »
    Oh, are we playing high horse Top Trumps? Would you go to North Korea?

I WIN!!!

Ive been to Dubai and Yes. I would go to to N Korea too if I got the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The Gulf Arab states are pretty racist. My uncle use to work there, and the amount of **** he got, because he was Pakistani was pretty awful. He even got arrested due to that racism, after having an arguement with a Saudi. he only got out due to his employer intervening and stopping the bull****.

So not surprised to see this kind of thing at all. No one really challenges racism over there sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Wibbs wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. FFS this self hating Ireland is a shíthole bandwagon really gets on my tits. To compare a socially backward kip like UAE to anywhere in Western Europe is beyond retarded.

Get the **** mate, Where is it self hating Ireland in what I said ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I get the impression that servants are considered almost sub-human by some people, as if their lives aren't as important as their owners employers.

Indeed. A bit like how some Irish people view unborn children

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Any chance we can save some venom and outrage on the muslims and spread a little of it across the Indian subcontinent too? Or is this just an anti middle-east circle jerk?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Delhis-indifference-towards-domestic-child-labour/articleshow/47419398.cms

http://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mumbai/other//articleshow/15932324.cms?

Scum is scum...

I don't think this addresses the religion of those involved, does it? India has a large Muslim minority, by the way. And at least they are addressing the issues in India, as the article explains. But yes it is pretty vile, if not on the level of trying to kill the slave-maid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Would you go to the US?

Yep

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Get the **** mate, Where is it self hating Ireland in what I said ?

Oh it's not a particularly big example of it but...
    Silly question to ask.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

How did the maid end up in that position?
    Noo wrote: »
    "The lady put me in the bathroom and was about to kill me in the bathroom without anybody finding out, she would have thrown my body out like rubbish, so instead of staying there I went to save myself and then I fell," she said from a hospital, according to Middle East Eye. "Praise be to God, I was protected. And so, what can be done?"

Something really doesnt add up in this story. Really how did the maid end up like that? If "the lady" was going to kill her surely she could have done this as the maid was trying to climb out the window?? And I can't understand the reflex that says instead of trying to fight off an (alleged) attacker inside a bathroom I vulnerably hang myself from a 7th floor window?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Rothna Bengun, a researcher for Human Rights Watch, wrote in a 3 April 2017 report on the incident that the abuse of domestic workers in the Gulf nation has been an ongoing problem, even after it implemented measures to improve conditions:

This is not the first time a domestic worker – someone hired to clean, cook, and care for a household – attempted a dangerous escape or suicide. The Kuwaiti press often report such stories as “attempted suicides,” as with this recent incident. They don’t usually question whether these were suicide attempts or, rather, attempts to escape. In 2009, Human Rights Watch spoke to eight women who were reported as having “attempted suicide,” but who said they had really fallen from buildings trying to escape abuse or were pushed by their employers. No one has suggested that the employer in this incident was responsible for such abuse.

I have interviewed hundreds of domestic workers in the Gulf region. Many said their employers locked them inside, forced them to work excessive hours, and beat them. Some scrambled down or jumped off buildings to escape.

In 2015, Kuwait took steps to provide migrant domestic workers with labor rights, but it has not reformed the notorious kafala system, under which migrant workers cannot leave or change their employer without the employer’s permission. As a result, while domestic workers now have rights to a weekly day off, daily limits to their working hours, and overtime compensation – they can still be arrested for “absconding” if they escape from their employers, even abusive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I blame America.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Hooleyo wrote: »
    I am no language expert. But the woman filming does not sound like she is speaking Arabic. Rather it sounds like a language one might expect from Ethiopia. If so then the person filming could be a co worker or something.

Arabic is an Ethiopian language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I blame America.
    Going with Israel myself.

Advertisement