Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman spends 25k of Banks money and has to pay back just 1000.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

It seems like it could happen too easily. How, with so much technology and expertise available! I topped up a stranger's phone one Christmas, by mistake :D, but would hope sending an electronic money transfer would be safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It seems like it could happen too easily. How, with so much technology and expertise available! I topped up a stranger's phone one Christmas, by mistake :D, but would hope sending an electronic money transfer would be safer.

I hope you made that stranger go to jail and pay back the full amount for stealing that credit from you like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Wildcard7

davmol wrote: »
    Great,thats theft.You should go to jail and be made pay the whole amount back.

I didn't steal anything though, did I?
    The money belonged to someone else.
    The money was given to you by error.
    The money is still not yours.
    You know all that.

Regardless, you treat the money like it's your property now.

What would be a better word for that behaviour than "stealing"?

Banks fault, the real owner of the cash won't lose a penny. Only the bank, which makes at least that on interest every second.

I wouldn't do it really, just saying it's absolutely nothing to be upset about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

She doesn't sound like the brightest crayon in the box and is obviously skint too, the perfect recipient for a massive mistaken bank tranfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,119 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Also,its common knowledge that there is a huge amount in finglas dishonestly claiming welfare and scamming extra payments.

There are 141,000 unemployed people in Ireland

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/mue/monthlyunemploymentmarch2017/

There are 276,000 on the Live Register.

http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/lr/liveregisterfebruary2017/

Some, and maybe quite a bit, of the difference is fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'm gonna head down to that bank in Finglas and say I'm the safe inspector and see if I can get to mind 25000 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The banks steal from me all the time, quarterly fees, no breakdowns for what they are exactly of course.

You should read the definition of theft and stealing

I should but I won't bother.

I should but I won't bother.

Yeah that's not surprising to anyone

• Advertisement

Why do you care about a bank so much? I bet you listen to liveline in constant outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The banks steal from me all the time, quarterly fees, no breakdowns for what they are exactly of course.
    You agreed to the deductions and fees that the bank could charge you and your account when you opened the account and they would have informed you of any changes and additional deductions before they came due so you could exercise your right to close your account and open one in another institution whose fees are more amenable to you.

The bank also makes the fees they charge you freely available, through the post or on your online account and broken down into different categories. I received my quarterly fee statement a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

What a clever girl. She played that judge like a violin. Courts are a joke.

Why do you care about a bank so much? I bet you listen to liveline in constant outrage.

I care about the rule of law and paying for crimes you commit, she stole something and is getting away virtually scot free considering the amount she stole.

I never claimed banks are good or should be supported but you're argument amounts to 2 wrongs make a right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Steal the fees that you signed up for when you opened the account?? Your bank must have quite large windows to see you coming. My bank also has quarterly fees, but I signed up for them when I opened the account, and I get a full breakdown online.

This "lady" should have her SW docked until the full amount is paid back with interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Underarmoured

If 25 grand landed in my account, I'd spend it too.

Damn right i would. Its there stupid mistake id say she had a nice 9 days. Lucky b***h

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

a woman who knew she was stealing from the bank gets to pay back only 1K of a 25K amount that she stole.
    Someone gave her the money, so don't think it was stealing.

More of a case of her paying for the banks fcukup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭SteM

the_syco wrote: »
    Someone gave her the money, so don't think it was stealing.

More of a case of her paying for the banks fcukup.

If I leave the keys in my car and someone drives off with it would they be done for stealing the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

biko wrote: »
    The money was just resting in her account.

so she thought it could do with a bit of excercise

SteM wrote: »
    If I leave the keys in my car and someone drives off with it would they be done for stealing the car?

Thats a different sinario altogether

• Advertisement

Honestly though where did she think the money came from? I don't believe for one second she actually thought it was her's she knew damn well it was a mistake and should have notified the bank.

Thats a different sinario altogether

Okay lets simplify it a bit for you cus you don't seem to understand analogies, someone parks their car in your houses driveway accidentally thinking its their driveway and leaves the keys in it is the car now yours?

The above situation is highly implausible but nonetheless very similar to what happened to this woman.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

VinLieger wrote: »
    Honestly though where did she think the money came from? I don't believe for one second she actually thought it was her's she knew damn well it was a mistake and should have notified the bank.

A number of years ago I accidently Was refunded a couple of grand from the revenue. (4-5k iirc)

Instead of just going on a spending spree, I went out of my way to repay the money back, Not wanting this over my head.

She saw she had an extra 51k in her bank account?

She knew exactly what she was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

When they phoned (after having stuck the lot of it on a horse) I'd just say: 'What? You mean that wasn't just an overdraft ye gave me??'

Then tell them that I'd give their money back if Bad Boy wins the 2:40 @ Aintree.. otherwise, how does a fiver a week sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

A fiver a week is a lot more noble and reasonable than what that greedy b1tch gave.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Okay lets simplify it a bit for you cus you don't seem to understand analogies, someone parks their car in your houses driveway accidentally thinking its their driveway and leaves the keys in it is the car now yours?

The above situation is highly implausible but nonetheless very similar to what happened to this woman.
    More people would spend that money than take someones car thats someones personal car. can put a name on it. Going to your bank machine and seen en extra 25k on the screen is different. As for leaving a car in my drive if he wrapped it in a big red ribbon and dropped the keys in the letterbox id take it. Thats how she felt looking at 25k in her account

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If you put the keys into their letterbox, and left the car in their driveway, would you still claim it's your car after you gave it to them?

Thats how she felt looking at 25k in her account

And didnt question it for a second? Shes either A a thief and an idiot or B a thief who knew exactly what she was doing.

Notice both A and B have one thing in common shes a thief regardless of intentions or motivation as ignorance is not an excuse to break the law

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

More like parked your car in her driveway and left the keys in it. Big difference.

• Advertisement

More like parked your car in her driveway and left the keys in it. Big difference.

Not really its still stealing, you'd need to have a pretty messed up moral compass to consider that okay

Advertisement