Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman spends 25k of Banks money and has to pay back just 1000.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

mynamejeff wrote: »
    if brendan o carroll and jason are the proudest sons of finglas there really is a problem there lol

I am sure there's loads more , as far as I know Finglas is a pretty big area. The point being generalising a whole area like that poster did is just immature childish & shows the person hasn't a clue.
    If you have access to newspapers or do a single search and see what goes on in Finglas youd see its not a great area.Obviously not everyone is bad in finglas but look at the place.Many hitmen,gangsters,drug dealers and other dregs of society come from there.I have a friend in the social welfare office that deals with the finglas area who told me first hand that I wouldn't believe the numbers in Finglas that are on Social welfare.She also told me that when one person discovers a way(not always legitimate) of getting more welfare then suddenly days after a huge amount come in with the same 'method' of getting the extra benefit.
    Also,its common knowledge that there is a huge amount in finglas dishonestly claiming welfare and scamming extra payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

davmol wrote: »
    If you have access to newspapers or do a single search and see what goes on in Finglas youd see its not a great area.Obviously not everyone is bad in finglas but look at the place.Many hitmen,gangsters,drug dealers and other dregs of society come from there.I have a friend in the social welfare office that deals with the finglas area who told me first hand that I wouldn't believe the numbers in Finglas that are on Social welfare.She also told me that when one person discovers a way(not always legitimate) of getting more welfare then suddenly days after a huge amount come in with the same 'method' of getting the extra benefit.
    Also,its common knowledge that there is a huge amount in finglas dishonestly claiming welfare and scamming extra payments.

So what's your friend doing about it? If she works in the DSP and it's "common knowledge" surely she can do something about it?

Ever been in Finglas, OP? Know anyone from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

... I have a friend in the social welfare office that deals with the finglas area who told me first hand that I wouldn't believe the numbers in Finglas that are on Social welfare.She also told me that when one person discovers a way(not always legitimate) of getting more welfare then suddenly days after a huge amount come in with the same 'method' of getting the extra benefit.

You're fucked lads. He has anecdotal evidence.

Nothing beats anecdotal evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

How do you know what I do outside of boards?

I see my post went over your head. Never mind

El Weirdo wrote: »
    ... I have a friend in the social welfare office that deals with the finglas area who told me first hand that I wouldn't believe the numbers in Finglas that are on Social welfare.She also told me that when one person discovers a way(not always legitimate) of getting more welfare then suddenly days after a huge amount come in with the same 'method' of getting the extra benefit.

You're fucked lads. He has anecdotal evidence.

Nothing beats anecdotal evidence.
    Would you prefer I get her to do a youtube video professing her stories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Your friend is a "her"?

You do realize that most women are liars and cannot be trusted?

Why do you believe your friend?

Collie D wrote: »

So what's your friend doing about it? If she works in the DSP and it's "common knowledge" surely she can do something about it?

Ever been in Finglas, OP? Know anyone from there?
    They are doing something about it but its a matter of evidence.For example-say Girl A finds out that she gets certain benefits if shes a single mother and the father/her boyfriend cant live in the house with her.They both pretend they aren't living together when in fact they are.Evidence is needed and I know this happens on a huge scale in Finglas amongst other areas.
    Yes,i know a lot of people from the Cabra/ Finglas area and not all welfare cheats. But I can also tell you there is a huge number of welfare cheats/scammers in finglas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Allinall wrote: »
    Your friend is a "her"?

It's true. I have a friend who knew some women once and he said that every single one of them was a lying cow.

Allinall wrote: »

Your friend is a "her"?

Yes,Men can have female friends,its fairly common.
    You must have bad experience with women,try men in future,they make good partners too ,im sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I have a friend in the social welfare office that deals with the finglas area who told me first hand that I wouldn't believe the numbers in Finglas that are on Social welfare.She also told me that when one person discovers a way(not always legitimate) of getting more welfare then suddenly days after a huge amount come in with the same 'method' of getting the extra benefit.

Public servant complains about people getting unfair handouts from the government? The ironing is delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm sure that if the bank felt that she had assets they could recover the full amount in a civil case.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have a friend in the social welfare office

I would keep that to yourself

A video of her telling you anecdotes doesn't make the evidence any less anecdotal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Just getting back to the OP for a moment - when you do a SEPA transfer, is there no cross referencing done of the IBAN against the payee name? I think the payee name is a mandatory field - at least it is when you set up payees with BOI. I'd have thought it would be very easy to make a mistake when inputting an IBAN. I double and triple check myself as I'm so paranoid about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

cause she's entitled to free money

Hate the term 'free money' when it comes to social welfare. I know people claiming social welfare and I wouldn't trade my lifestyle with theirs (no matter what line of bs the OP is peddling). Yes I'd like more free time but I also like not worrying about putting food on the table or worrying how to pay a big bill if it comes in.

I understand that this woman has 2 kids and relies on social welfare payments but I think she should be docked money, even if it's a token amount, to be shown that stealing has consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

hollypink wrote: »
    Just getting back to the OP for a moment - when you do a SEPA transfer, is there no cross referencing done of the IBAN against the payee name? I think the payee name is a mandatory field - at least it is when you set up payees with BOI. I'd have thought it would be very easy to make a mistake when inputting an IBAN. I double and triple check myself as I'm so paranoid about it.

I imagine it's not that easy to do automatically. Variations in name spelling would be one reason. IBAN has a checksum built in though, so they can tell if it's a valid IBAN.

The payee name is a mandatory field but I'd be very surprised if there was any cross referencing done. Names are checked for AML/CTF reasons but I doubt if you reference John Smith on a payment and it went to John Jones' IBAN it'd make any difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Thanks for your silly statement which contributes nothing to the subject.As for authors of statements  like your ridiculous post,its impotent nobodies like yourself who are passive to situations like this where scammers get away with fraud and Theft,that is what is wrong with this country.

Your Faces guide to the naively excitable:

1. Put down the newspaper

2. Step away from the nasty screen displaying
    different opinions.

3. Switch to decaffeinated drinks.

4. Invest in your education.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm pretty sure there is no cross checking done. Payee might be mandatory but is not used for checking purposes.

Your Face wrote: »
    Thanks for your silly statement which contributes nothing to the subject.As for authors of statements  like your ridiculous post,its impotent nobodies like yourself who are passive to situations like this where scammers get away with fraud and Theft,that is what is wrong with this country.

Your Faces guide to the naively excitable:

1. Put down the newspaper

2. Step away from the nasty screen displaying
       different opinions.

3. Switch to decaffeinated drinks.

4. Invest in your education.
    I need caffeine to keep me awake when I see these silly posts.Yawwwwwwnnnnn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The thing that really gets me about this story is,
    She said she spent 25 grand in a few weeks and has nothing to show for it, she claims on dinners and nights out and also claims on 3 fancy ornaments from a shop (even judge said the shop didn't sell such expensive items) she has no receipts for any of the spending, 
    How stupid are people its as clear as day she still has most of the cash,  she is not stupid she took the cash out sat on it to see if she'd get caught, When she did worse case is go to court and your told to pay back it all (which u haven't spent so you can)  and then finds out she only has to pay back 1000 she says " oh sorry about that " pays back the 1000 and has the other 24 to spend,
    The Irish court believe anything its beyond a joke, if she got time and was told to pay back all the cash you can bet your last penny she'd have it there to pay back ,

Has it occurred to you that maybe the court, having investigated the situation thoroughly, might be in a better position to say what happened than you, who has gathered details from a hastily read article from The Sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Many hitmen,gangsters,drug dealers and other dregs of society come from there.

Today I learned that Finglas is the setting for a Tarantino film.

I mean MANY "hitmen, gangsters, drug dealers" are there. MANY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I need caffeine to keep me awake when I see these silly posts.Yawwwwwwnnnnn!

See point number 4.

Zillah wrote: »
    The thing that really gets me about this story is,
    She said she spent 25 grand in a few weeks and has nothing to show for it, she claims on dinners and nights out and also claims on 3 fancy ornaments from a shop (even judge said the shop didn't sell such expensive items) she has no receipts for any of the spending, 
    How stupid are people its as clear as day she still has most of the cash,  she is not stupid she took the cash out sat on it to see if she'd get caught, When she did worse case is go to court and your told to pay back it all (which u haven't spent so you can)  and then finds out she only has to pay back 1000 she says " oh sorry about that " pays back the 1000 and has the other 24 to spend,
    The Irish court believe anything its beyond a joke, if she got time and was told to pay back all the cash you can bet your last penny she'd have it there to pay back ,

Has it occurred to you that maybe the court, having investigated the situation thoroughly, might be in a better position to say what happened than you, who has gathered details from a hastily read article from The Sun?
    In fairness,the courts in this country are a Joke.Have you seen the daily judgements being made by the courts in this country.Have you seen the thousands being given away for people banging their knees?for a child falling in a school yeard or a woman slipping on pigeon sh1t?
    The courts regularly side with the criminal and give ridiculously lenient sentences/judgements.As a previous poster said,she should be made pay back 5 /10 euro out of her benefits even a token or symbol to show mass theft is not ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If 25 grand landed in my account, I'd spend it too.

Great,thats theft.You should go to jail and be made pay the whole amount back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah! And make him live in Finglas with all the hitmen and all the gangsters and all the drug dealers! That'll show him!

Now if you'll all excuse me, I'm off to **** myself into a frenzy over copies of the Daily Mail and Sunday World. See what scroungers and stealing our eyeballs this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭dbagman

150 hours community service. Less than 4 weeks work and she's 24k better off. Where do I send my CV??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

stimpson wrote: »
    Public servant complains about people getting unfair handouts from the government? The ironing is delicious.

Boards contributor attacks sweeping generalisation of other contributor while making one of their own.....

more delicious ironing....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I didn't steal anything though, did I?

The banks steal from me all the time, quarterly fees, no breakdowns for what they are exactly of course.

Advertisement