Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosion at St Petersburg Metro (read first post)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Great insight you got there

Yep it is isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Spent a week in Leningrad(St.Petersburg) back in the 80s. Two things I always remember from that trip was the underground stations.
    Absolutely beautiful.

And the lack of cars on the road.

Things were different then.
    Back in the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Reports now from Sky News via Russian media that it is believed to be a suicide bomber. And also that the guy who's Picture that was floating around has handed himself in to say he wasn't involved.

Poor guy. Nothing like seeing your picture up on international news wanted for murdering ten (possibly 14) people. But he looked suspiciously Muslim, which is all various posters/papers wanted to see.

I know ISIS is terrorism du jour, but not all terror attacks (especially in Russia!) are going to be ISIS-related.

May turn out to be ISIS yet, or rather someone who likes their ideas since the main part of the actual band of lunatics are holed up in Raqqa and pretty much stuck last I heard. But "find a Muslim in the general area" is a bit bull****.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

My comment posted right after another of your comments that mentioned Chechnyans, which I didn't see at the time as it wasnt showing at my end, and I'd only seen your previous one and someone's response about ISIS methods, so, thinking we'd moved on from the Chechnyans, I assumed it was ISIS you were talking about. Too many suicide bombers running around! Back to the Chechnyans, so...

Well of course there is no proof either way at the moment so it could be ISIS. But as far as I am know ISIS have until now little presence in Russia outside the North Caucasus, while the Caucasus Emirate have been responsible for most if not all of the bombings in Russia in the last decade, recently the bus and train station bombings before the Sochi Olympics in 2014 and before that there was the Moscow Airport attack in 2011 and the Moscow Metro bombing in 2010, among others

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Samaris wrote: »
    Poor guy. Nothing like seeing your picture up on international news wanted for murdering ten (possibly 14) people. .

Not many things, no :eek: :( Poor man

• Advertisement

Yea, I thought it seemed really odd for them to release a photo of a suspect so early. This is why you wait, it isn't because of PC whatever, but because when you don't, this happens. Happened with London recently. Happened after the Boston Marathon bombing. And it's happened here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Reports now from Sky News via Russian media that it is believed to be a suicide bomber. And also that the guy who's Picture that was floating around has handed himself in to say he wasn't involved.

If that is the case, well done to the Russian police on potentially getting an innocent man lynched in the streets. That must have been a f***ing terrifying few hours for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Great insight you got there

to be fair they're both islamist terror cells so yeah he kinda called it...

Billy86 wrote: »
    If that is the case, well done to the Russian police on potentially getting an innocent man lynched in the streets. That must have been a f***ing terrifying few hours for him.

sadly the russians dont really give a fcuk...very strange for them to suicide bomb one train then leave an unmanned bomb on another!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And to think it was that easy for them to get it wrong along with random people on the interwebs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Yea, I thought it seemed really odd for them to release a photo of a suspect so early. This is why you wait, it isn't because of PC whatever, but because when you don't, this happens. Happened with London recently. Happened after the Boston Marathon bombing. And it's happened here.

On the other hand..as bad as it is..the (major) error being admitted now sort of diminishes the likelihood that his identification was part of a deliberate set up/plant/false flag..I think...

Just read on the telegraph Investigators are saying the suicide bomber is believed to be a 23 year old male from a ''central asian country'' which would more than likely count out the chechens, then again wouldnt be a surprise for them to be wrong again, if it does turn out to be isis related id worry for the civilians of syria etc putin will be lighting more than candles :/
    Later on Monday, investigators said they believed the attack had been the work of a suicide bomber, and said the perpetrator was suspected to be a 23 year old from a Central Asian country.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/03/saintpetersburg-bombing-casualties-explosion-metro-train/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If those attackers are caught we probably won't hear about it. The Russians don't mess around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And so many people on the first few pages were praising the police for releasing the picture so quickly, and then jumping to conclusions such as; "European police are too afraid of hurting the terrorists' feelings". Failing to see just how important it is that the police make absolutely sure that you have the right guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Samaris wrote: »
    Poor guy. Nothing like seeing your picture up on international news wanted for murdering ten (possibly 14) people. But he looked suspiciously Muslim, which is all various posters/papers wanted to see.

I know ISIS is terrorism du jour, but not all terror attacks (especially in Russia!) are going to be ISIS-related.

May turn out to be ISIS yet, or rather someone who likes their ideas since the main part of the actual band of lunatics are holed up in Raqqa and pretty much stuck last I heard. But "find a Muslim in the general area" is a bit bull****.

I was reading this earlier.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/03/met-police-investigating-muslim-man-wrongful-arrest-terrorism

It's about a UK man who was arrested on his way on holidays. The reason was because he's booked his outward and return flights with different carriers and therefore must be joining ISIS.
    The Russian police aren't exactly the smartest bunch. When a theatre was taken over they managed to gas and kill hostages. They were incompetent when a school was taken over.
    When you include the fact that news is filtered through the state we'd be lucky to hear the truth.

Grayson wrote: »
    I was reading this earlier.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/apr/03/met-police-investigating-muslim-man-wrongful-arrest-terrorism

It's about a UK man who was arrested on his way on holidays. The reason was because he's booked his outward and return flights with different carriers and therefore must be joining ISIS.
    The Russian police aren't exactly the smartest bunch. When a theatre was taken over they managed to gas and kill hostages. They were incompetent when a school was taken over.
    When you include the fact that news is filtered through the state we'd be lucky to hear the truth.

to be fair i think the problem with russian police isnt incompetence im fairly sure its a lot more sinister than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Depp wrote: »
    to be fair i think the problem with russian police isnt incompetence im fairly sure its a lot more sinister than that!

I'm pretty certain they're incompetent as well :)
    I just read this.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/03/st-petersburg-metro-rocked-by-explosion-sennaya-ploshchad-station
    On a state television talkshow in the aftermath of Monday’s attack, the nationalist writer Alexander Prokhanov linked the attack with anti-government protests in Moscow last weekend. He claimed the events were “coordinated” with the aim of destabilising the situation in Russia ahead of presidential elections next year, suggesting a far-reaching anti-Russian conspiracy.

Grayson wrote: »

quite possibly a bit of incompetence in the mix alright but the big thing is they've a lot less respect for human life than the security forces here.

Advertisement