Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do you like in a sandwich

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

Fresh white pan
    Real butter
    Chipper chips
    Real butter
    Fresh white pan

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Brown bread, no butter. Coleslaw, chicken and mayo, bacon and sun dried tomatoes with a packet of Cheese and Onion Hunky Doreys from O'Briens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

This thread has made me seriously hungry

Pastrami and Swiss cheese is heaven
    Don't understand why is isn't more popular in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,106 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

O'Briens has gone to ****e over the years, but it used to do a great chicken and sweetcorn sandwich. I first tasted one in a little deli in Temple Bar in the years before it was developed. Thick bread, lots of butter, mayo, fresh shredded chicken and sweetcorn. That's my preferred homemade sandwich these days with Hunky Dorys.

Top tip: For best results premix the chicken and mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Partial to a big sausage sandwich meself between two brennan's batch heels with brown sauce or mustard depending on the mood!

A bloke I went to school with was fond of the auld sugar sandwiches.
    By the time we were doing our inter cert he'd barely a tooth left and looked like Plug from the Dandy or the Beano.

• Advertisement

Donal55 wrote: »
    Partial to a big sausage sandwich meself between two brennan's batch heels with brown sauce or mustard depending on the mood!

A bloke I went to school with was fond of the auld sugar sandwiches.
    By the time we were doing our inter cert he'd barely a tooth left and looked like Plug from the Dandy or the Beano.

I can relate to that on both options. But I prefer the big sausie sandwich on batch heels with colemans mustard. A winner.

Brown sauce nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Sunday sambos for the tea me Mam makes the best boiled egg mashed with onion tomato lettuce and mayonnaise in a bowl then put on white bread cut into triangles yum.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I can relate to that on both options. But I prefer the big sausie sandwich on batch heels with colemans mustard. A winner.

Brown sauce nice too.

Looks for frying pan.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

Not a big fan of sandwiches, I just find them a bit boring. I rarely have them for lunch in work. Prefer dinner leftovers, homemade soups or big salads with nice homemade dressing and noodles.

If I do have sandwiches, I like them with steak or pork fillet or whatever leftover meat there might be from a Sunday roast. And a good dollop of lemony mayonnaise. My obsession with adding lemon juice to everything knows no bounds.

Oh and the occasional banana sandwich. YUM.

Or toasted cheese and hot sauce sandwiches. YUM.

Or back rasher sandwiches. YUM.

Hmmm, it seems I actually do like sandwiches. I think the main thing is, I only like to eat one once or twice a week. I get very bored of them if I have them more frequently.

texas star wrote: »
    Sunday sambos for the tea me Mam makes the best boiled egg mashed with onion tomato lettuce and mayonnaise in a bowl then put on white bread cut into triangles yum.

They were sambos for picnics or the seaside back in the days when we had sun in summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Oh Alex, sammies are anything but boring. Try smooshing your fave leftovers between bread and yum!

Toasted rueben on rye bread with loads of pastrami, thousand island dressing and kraut - gooey, to die for! Add chips and heaven awaits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

B00! wrote: »
    Oh Alex, sammies are anything but boring. Try smooshing your fave leftovers between bread and yum!

Toasted rueben on rye bread with loads of pastrami, thousand island dressing and kraut - gooey, to die for! Add chips and heaven awaits!

I'm a keen cook and like to try different combos but I can't get away from the fact that ultimately, I find them a bit dull.

Plus, bread repeats on me a bit. I'm almost afraid to type that because people tend to be very down on people who say that bread doesn't agree with them, like we are trying to adopt a trendy intolerance or something. I'm not saying I have an intolerance or am a coeliac, I just find bread repeats on me and it's a bit unpleasant. :)

As well as that, out of all the carbs, bread is the one I find hard to moderate the most, with the exception of chips. Rice, potatoes in most forms, pasta, noodles, a small portion of these does me, but not bread.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    I'm a keen cook and like to try different combos but I can't get away from the fact that ultimately, I find them a bit dull.

Plus, bread repeats on me a bit. I'm almost afraid to type that because people tend to be very down on people who say that bread doesn't agree with them, like we are trying to adopt a trendy intolerance or something. I'm not saying I have an intolerance or am a coeliac, I just find bread repeats on me and it's a bit unpleasant. :)

As well as that, out of all the carbs, bread is the one I find hard to moderate the most, with the exception of chips. Rice, potatoes in most forms, pasta, noodles, a small portion of these does me, but not bread.

If you dont like bread, you cant like sambo's. I can accept that and sympathise with your situation. However...

.....Leave this thread now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Spent a summer in Canada and the local deli did a "smoked meat" sandwich. 3 inches thick of slices of meat held in by white bread. No idea what animal I was eating. Got closed down by the health standards fascists. So basically, meat and plenty of it. And keep coleslaw where it belongs, on the side of the plate, not between the bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

standard, ham, cheese and coleslaw...

or white bread, potato waffle, fried egg, red sauce.... out of this world

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Donal55 wrote: »
    They were sambos for picnics or the seaside back in the days when we had sun in summer.
    Yep still are the sand makes them crunchy lol

grilled peppers, molten cheese and eggs in toasty bread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Denny Fire & Smoke ham shavings on fresh Tiger bread.

King crisps on fresh white Brennan's bread.

Maple rashers with juicy tomato and crisp lettuce on Brennan's bread.

Can't eat Brennan's though. Gives me awful belly ache

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I used to love fresh white bread buttered with cornflakes and tomato sauce. Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I love a combination of mixed peppers and taco sauce, in a chicken wrap. The Mcdonalds ones arent too bad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I quite like a "Christmas" sandwich, roast turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and streaky bacon. Marks & Spencers does a nice one and also Pret a Manger in the UK, annoying that they only sell them during the festive season though.

Also a big fan of the old traditional egg mayo sandwich on malted grain bread. With a side of ripples taytos and a diet coke. *dribble*

oooh warm beef, brown sauce and chips in a sammie

everyone is making me hungry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Toasted baguette with real chicken (not that processed crap), peppers, Mayo, stuffing, onions and melted cheese, with a few crisps and a nice cup of tea with it :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Roast beef, mature cheddar cheese and horseradish sauce. Yum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

Nice bit of brown bread with real butter, decent farmhouse cheddar and some pickle, cup of tea and all is right with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

A lovely fresh BLT with a good dollop of mayo is my favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I read that spectators at the US Masters golf in Augusta, Georgia can buy pimento cheese sandwiches for $1.50, and they are great.
    I found the recipe online and mixed the ingredients. The recipe said it makes four sandwiches. After twenty sandwiches I still had loads left.
    Good sandwiches if you want to go to the trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Lasagndwich

Ok, so not the Tesco version, but stick a decent lasagne between a bit of sliced bread & it shouldn't work....but it does.

article-1294135-0A69F460000005DC-994_468x373.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I remember my brother coming in from the pub and making a sambo. Bread, butter, mayonnaise, ham, cheese, king crisps, peanuts, bombay mix and bovril! Looked nice.

The same lad got out of a taxi outside the gaff and the bag burst and his Chinese went everywhere.
    So he went inside and and grabbed a fork and sat on the kerb and ate the Chinese.
    Seen him do similar things on a few occasions.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Denny Fire & Smoke ham shavings on fresh Tiger bread.

King crisps on fresh white Brennan's bread.

Maple rashers with juicy tomato and crisp lettuce on Brennan's bread.

Can't eat Brennan's though. Gives me awful belly ache

I have to say that I find the Denny Fire & Smoke product very disappointing, considering all the expensive advertising.

Advertisement