Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Composite door

Options

Comments

Putting in a composite door is handy enough. Basically you just need a long spirit level, expanding foam, silicone, frame screws the right length, and a drill & bits the right size. And at least a second pair of hands.

Make sure the door is plumb, drill the holes, drive in the screws, foam & silicone the gaps. Adjust the door if necessary. Done.

It's probably harder work removing the old door than installing the new one TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Few months back I ordered a Palladio. Just under 3 K. Seems crazy for what are essentially plastic moulds churned out by the thousand in a computerised factory. Gave up on getting a walk in shower unit due to crazy quotes. Some clown just tried to charge me 1100 for an e bike battery. This place feels like 2006 over again.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Lads , I have a Palladio door five years now and the front layer is separating from the rest . By front layer I mean approximately .5 CM is separating around the edges from the main door structure. Would I be entitled to a replacement or at least a competent repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

They come with a decent warranty currently at 12 years manufacturer warranty. Try contacting installer first.

Stay Free

Ordered a palladio door with 2 side panels in Dublin for 3100 installed. Rough quote from another installer was 3250 so I just bit the bullet. Expensive time we live in, but new door is needed to replace existing pvc door which is on the way out.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

I have got two quotes lately for a composite door, normal handle ( Extra €500 for long bar handle) 2 glass side panels , fully fitted and old door/sides taken away. One was €3600 with a lead time of 4 weeks , the other €3800 with a lead time of 3 months! Both have a 10 year guarantee and 8 point locking system.

They really add on the cost for a bar handle, don't they? The Palladio come standard with a 10-point locking system and 12 year guarantee. The quote/order I received mentioned a "Melenco 4 hook roller", which threw me off, but looking at Palladio, the 10-point system is standard and the guy I'm dealing with assured me it's the 10-point system ordered. Nearly had a heart attack, as the main reason for changing the door is security.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Frankie19

Yep and if you get the longer bar handle you get a lower locking system....I think he said it was only a 5 point locking system. We were advised in both places to steer away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

just as an fyi, we have an Apeer composite door installed probably 8/9 yrs now. its heavy enough, taken a good weathering with the direciton the house faces at times, and its still fantastic. Sun is quite strong, it has a tiny bt discoloured, but you can only notice up close. Fantastic doors imo.

The Palladio was installed today. It took 2 lads a good 6 hours to remove the old door and install the new one. The weight in the door is noticeable and the locking system is spades ahead of the 15+ year old pvc door that was there before. There was minor paint chip damage to one panel and a couple of white spots on the weld seam, but they will be out to sort that in a few days I'm told. They pointed it out to me before I saw it.

Here's the new door. €3100 all in.

Post edited by ...Ghost... on

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I bought a uPVC door for a home office / chalet near the house. Got a decent one, black cour with a frosted half window, cost just under €1300 plus Vat (total was around €1500 i think), plus includes fitting. It looks like a composite door.

Honestly, Ireland is good value for upvc and composite doors. Around 6 years ago (when materials were much cheaper), a family member who has a holiday home in france paid €5,000 for a white cheap looking pvc door with glazing (includes fitting) .. it looks like a toilet door from the 70's. No lie, 5k was the cheapest quote she got. France, Germany, Spain etc are way more expensive for services like fitting, plumbing, electrician, tilers, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Has anyone had an Endurance Pentland Door fitted? About to go looking for quotes and looking for any first hand experiences in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I'm looking into getting the front door sorted at present - have a standard ill fitting wooden effort at present and believe that a composite door is worth the investment.

Have a quote for an Apeer installation which will be circa 4,600. But I'm hearing that another (well regarded) supplier can do a Rhino door for just over 3k.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't choose the Rhino option?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What I would say is get a breakdown for the door and fitting. Se what you are being charged for fitting. 3k all in is a good price though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

We just got a Palladio composite front door put in by a local supplier, 2250 including installation (standard 950mm wide door, circular decorative window, no side panel). Expensive but very high quality door, will retain heat much better in wintertime and more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That's a good price with installation to be honest. The composite doors should be doing the guts of 15-20 years really.

Yeah, looking like 3.5k now I believe, but getting a breakdown makes sense. I'll have a chat with them too when they're out next week, always worth asking the question directly too!

Thanks all.

And does local mean mayo based or are you another of the many Dublin based mayo supporters?

You never know, this might be the year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm a Mayo man living in Galway but the door is in Sligo, it's complicated. I'll PM you the door company details.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Hi all, I am totally and utterly new to this. Based in galway. We want to install a composite door here but don't even know what you would call this type of door with the panels at the side. Can I ask if anyone knows approx how much this would cost? Just ball park

• Advertisement

I don't know much myself, but I think that's more a pvc door than composite. Don't know that there's much difference, but composite doors claim to last longer and have better insulatory properties. They also cost a bit more.

Hey.. thanks a million for response. Yeah sorry I probably wasn't clear. I was hoping to replace it with a composite door.

Okay, so the little I know is that there a few options, palladio, apeer and rhino that I'm aware of.

Palladio tend to be cheapest, Mayo4sam got one out west for 2.3k, I've been quoted 3.6k for rhino and 4.6k for apeer (both Dublin). These all come as a set ie including the side pieces etc. Your set-up looks a little trickier, but I'm sure can be taken care of by providers. Hope that helps.

Thanks so much. Yeah got a quote from senator windows for 3800 for Palladio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Your setup isn't that strange, just normally the door is in the centre and there's a panel either side, your door is on one side and the side panels the other but it won't make any difference for price or installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 heymark

That’s a pvc door and surrounds. You could get a composite door and sides for about 4500 -5000 for the space you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Not quite that simple. Looks easy, but need some knowhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

Is there much difference between the PVC and composite doors in reality?

I put a deposit down on PVC door Friday after the sales guy convinced me composite wasn't really worth the extra money but I'm not convinced on reflection.

Do palladio make both the PVC and composite type doors? I picked the design from a Palladio catalogue but think now that they are just copying the design from the book into PVC. So the door isn't going to be "branded". He was quoting me 2600 for composite and 2100 for PVC, now I'm thinking is the extra 500 worth it for brand/quality?

This company did my windows 3 years ago and was happy with their work; now that I'm thinking about it, just a bit concerned that I have made the wrong call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrsdoylesteapot

All of the doors seem to be A rated these days, so it's probably just differences in the materials used and how they look. PVC looks thinner. Composite has a more wood-like appearance. Might be worth looking at length of the warranty too.

Palladio seem to be everywhere in Dublin, some nice designs but are limited with their colours. I like the look of Rhino doors, who Murphy Larkin sell. Probably more expensive but you can order with any colour. Might be worth also looking at Munster Joinery too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

I have a composite front door (black with side glass) and a pvc on my garage (black with small glass window centre). The composite looks far more superior. Straight clean lines, looks like timber painted .. like number 10 Downing street look. The pvc looks very nice but when you move in closer, the lines are more rounded, more of a moulded look.

Advertisement