Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Composite door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Has anyone done a self install? Does anyone know of a place who supply only.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Never done self install but Earth kind windows in ashbourne will sell direct. That's where my door came from, albeit a local supplied fitted and supplied the doors

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Anyone get a composite door fitted recently? are the prices still expensive?

Hoping to get a anthracite grey front door with sidelight window. Based in the midlands

Post edited by badker on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

We're getting one fitted end of the month, Palladio country style, I think it's coming in at 2400 altogether, west Cork

Thanks for commenting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

I've a Quote to install a Palladio San Marco door (just door and frame) and replace French doors with a sliding door (small one) for prices varing from 4k the front door is coming in at 1900.

I'm wondering are Senator doors worth a look as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭holliehobbie

You can paint a Palladio door so you can have it whatever colour you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

Hi all,

I need a new front door for my new house I purchased in the spring.

I currently have a wooden front door with two glass side panels but its going rotten in sections and is not very secure.

I want to get something durable and long lasting.

I have only started shopping around today. I visited DK Windows and Doors earlier. I was quote 3,800 for a palladio, two side panels, 10 point lock, door knocker letter box and installation.

I am planning on visiting Senator and Keane Windows and doors which are not far from me in Fonthill tomorrow.

I would be right in saying palladio doors are more expensive than standard composites? In peoples experience are they worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MildThing84

Avoid the letterbox if you can. Fit a post box on the outside. You'll be glad of it as they are very drafty and you're investing in the door for heat retention etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Agree with you Mildthing. Nothing worse than a flyer/free newspaper left half in and out of letterbox and letting the wind howl thru.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I wouldn't deal with Palladio again. A week after install, my dog damaged the door in 2 places. The door panel surround had deep gouges in it and the inner edge had a decent chunk of damage too. See below.

I contacted the installer in Dublin who was supposed to get back to me with a repair cost a few days later, but never did. They don't have a showroom, so I couldn't drop in on them. I decided not to deal with them if they couldn't be bothered getting back to me.

I then contacted palladio to order the surround so that I could replace the damaged part and figure out how to repair the door edge. Palladio don't deal with the public and don't sell parts. They didn't give a shíte that the installer wasn't interested in repairing the door. Had I known Palladio are trade only, I wouldn't have ordered one, as you are then left in the hands of an installer who (like in my case) is a waste of space.

I picked up some white wood filler and some thin plastic strips from the hardware. I sanded down the panel, filled it and sanded again. Looks like new!! The door edge was a bit trickier. I cut off the raised damaged portions and filled the gaps. I pre-drilled the plastic strips with plenty of holes 1cm apart. Some stainless counter-sunk screws and a bit of matt white silicone and the repair looks better than the original edge, though it's out of view so nobody ever sees it. Pretty good considering I fully expected my repair attempt to be horrible, or at least noticeable.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jp okeeffe

Got a composite front door with 1 side panel from munster joinery in march . Anthracite grey on exterior and white inside.very happy with it. 2700 all in

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Palladio door being ordered as part of a window doors package.

Coming in approx €2800 for composite front door with two glass panels and side glass panel.

County Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Yes second that experience. A customer got a palladio door, within a few days noticed a breeze coming in! I had a look at it and realised the door was warped. They onto the installer they said they'd come back etc, got onto palladio they refused to deal with it and referred to the installer. Probably the installer stored it ar$e ways and doesn't want to foot the bill for replacement etc. I don't know what happened but I'm not impressed with their non existant after sales. It's best to get a door from a local Pvc company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've a few composite door questions and this seems like the place to ask them!

1) What are the different types of door? I'm seeing that some are solid-core and some are foam filled, what are the trade-offs with each?

2) Appeer and Palladio seem to be the main brands are there any others worth looking at, what about Camden or similar?

3) How airtight are these doors, and are some better in this regard than others?

I'll be very happy if someone can answer all that for me!

Post edited by MegamanBoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 14 johnboy_85

We're looking to change out an old front door and side window to a new composite Palladio unit.

We have door design and everything picked and a local supplier who have a good name supply/fit them. Problem is we want a specific RAL colour which Palladio don't do.

I don't want to order a new door and then have the hassle and cost of getting it painted.

What are the best options for composite doors with specific RAL colors ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I have a composite door in about 5 years. Still looks great and is south-facing so it gets the sun and hasn't faded at all.

however, and it's a big however, it was very poorly insulated, if you could even say it had any insulation at all.

I later learned that the door is a sandwich of fibreglass with empty chambers inside i.e. totally hollow like a cheap internal door. They boast on their website that don't need foam in their doors because their doors are just magic the way they are but I always felt the door was a bit crap for thermal performance and my hall was still cold even after getting this new "A-Rated" door in place of an old rickety wooden door with lots of cold glass. Later when I got a Flir camera and checked it on a very cold day, the results were something else, from outside the whole door was bright orange on the camera, heat just flying through it.

In the end, and fed up with a cold hall (which also has a triple-glazed window and insulated plasterboard on the walls by the way), I said feck that and drilled about 12 holes into it from inside and blasted a load of expanding foam into it - using the thermal cam to check my progress as I went. Big difference, and with the holes carefully filled and painted, you'd hardly tell I attacked it with a drill. No ill-effects (yet anyway) from doing this, just need to be very careful that the excess foam comes out of the hole and the expanding has finished before filling the holes, or you risk bulges or the whole thing blowing apart. I didn't add foam to the locking mechanism edge yet, maybe one day I'll =take the whole lot out foam in and re-assemble. Obviously you need to watch out with the foam at the locks.

Overall, it was a risk I was willing to take and my hall is much more comfortable now and the Flir shows the door is mainly dark purple now from outside.

All this to say: Make sure your new CD has insulation in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Thats criminal mate. These compaines and installers get away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

It's crazy alright. I couldn't believe when I drilled the first hole, just nothing in there but a cold breeze.

About 4x750ml of ex foam in those chambers now, but it took a few days all in as you have to go slow and take care and monitor progress with the camera.

At least I got it 'cheap' before things went bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭DrPsychia

Why not make a claim against the company to the small claims court? The company would be quick to sort the issue to avoid the SCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Nothing to do with me but I did recommend them to at least get their solicitor to take action against them but they didn't want to do anything like that as its a small provincial town/everyone knows everybody and they didn't want word getting out these cowboys ripped them off etc. This happens in Ireland and some people would rather get screwed over than letting the public know about their humiliation etc at the hands of cowboys. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I had a Palladio with 2 side panels fitted about a year ago now, and a single rear door also.

I noticed a breeze on windy day last month (every day!) and took a closer look.

The overlap where the door contacts the frame is down to 1mm in places. Way too small to form a proper seal. At the top and bottom corner of the door now there is enough of a gap to slide a piece of paper through between the door and frame. This is the same for both inside and outside seal.

Tried adjusting, and definitely reduced the gap, but it still exists. Its simply the door is too small for the frame.

Also Seals were not joined at the corners and were peeling away, but i have fixed that.

Had the installer back to realign the back door, the other half had a bad experience with them at the time, and wont deal with them anymore.

I am letting this one go.

Will prices coming down for Palladio front doors?

How many hinges come as standard on the Paddio composite doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Clayver

Hey can someone help me out, i'm looking into buying a new front door, preferably composite but the issue is the door itself is curved at the top. The 3 or 4 companies I've tried said it's not possible to provide a composite door in that shape but i'm pretty sure you can get them in England and on the continent. Anyone know of a company in the West that might do them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

At the business end of choosing between 2 companies for our composite door. One supplies Palladio, the other Apeer. The Apeer door looks to be a solid filled structure whereas the Palladio looks like a hollow twin-walled structure. Both firms naturally swear their design is the best in the business for heat retention, strength etc. Anyone got an objective final word on this? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Palladio claim that their hollow construction is an advantage over the foam filled alternative because the foam cores can expand and cause delamination. No idea if that's true or not, but I'm very happy with our Palladio door. It feels quite heavy and solid and have absolutely no issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Has anyone every looked at an Alu Clad door? We got a Palladio a few months back and I feel they're just overpriced PVC doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭justmehere

I was quoted €3050 for manufacture, supply, and installation of a composite door from Senator.

15 year guarantee, A rated, multi-point locking system, installed by Senator employees, and removal of old door/site clearance

Didn't think that was too bad, looking at other posts and experiences from people. The company's been around forever too.

Advertisement