Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Punditisms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

'The process' Sick of hearing about 'The process'. Mostly in rugby.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Insanely pointless or specific statistics. Paul Collins on Today FM this morning;

"It's the first time in 21 years the green and gold have beaten Cork in the finals"

"At the under-21 level"

"On Cork soil"

That's not even remotely amazing. It seems like every victory needs to have some kind of "historic" statistic pinned to it to make it seem like more than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There's one commentator in rugby who drives me mad with "at the second/third/whatever time of asking" or "he's asking the questions of X team/player", and other variations on the "questions" theme.

Seriously needs to get himself a new cliché to play with :mad:

Yes. Rugby has it's own set of cliches. e.g. "Putting his hand up" as in putting his hand up for Lions selection. I picture all the eligible rugby players in a class room with their hands up shouting "Me sir!".

seamus wrote: »
    Insanely pointless or specific statistics.

It seems like every victory needs to have some kind of "historic" statistic pinned to it to make it seem like more than it is.

Jeff Stelling on Sky is the king of useless stats:
    "That's only the third goal Doncaster have conceded at home in the last seven games"
    Why seven Jeff, what happened eight games ago?
    He does know his stuff, Jeff, for me, to be fair, at the end of the day, obviously, doyouknowwhatImean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Liam28 wrote: »
    Jeff Stelling on Sky is the king of useless stats:
    "That's only the third goal Doncaster have conceded at home in the last seven games"
    Why seven Jeff, what happened eight games ago?
    He does know his stuff, Jeff, for me, to be fair, at the end of the day, obviously, doyouknowwhatImean?

Ah poor Jeff has about 6 hours of tv to fill and try to keep the camera off Merson and the rest of goons as much as possible. Every time they cut to Merson it's all "aaaahJeffwwoeejsknknakkstickitinthecornersonshshjshjahJeffohmydays"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How fitting that he should score against Arsenal, as his 2nd cousin's ex-boyfriend is a Spurs fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The mangling of English grammar by football pundits, especially with verb tenses:
    Pundit: If he hits it, it goes in, the keeper's not stopping it.
    Correct: If he (had) hit it, it would have gone in, the keeper would not have stopped it.

Pundit: Who wins this?
    Correct: Who will win this?

Pundit: He has done well, for me, then, Rooney.
    Correct: I think Rooney did well.

I will have to give honourable to Raymond Houghton for mangling grammar.

Especially the tenses.

Listen carefully next time he is co commentator, gets-every-one -of -them -wrong.

Hyphens for emphasis only :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

'Gaa HQ'. Totally overused. Just say Croke Park ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Yes. Rugby has it's own set of cliches. e.g. "Putting his hand up" as in putting his hand up for Lions selection. I picture all the eligible rugby players in a class room with their hands up shouting "Me sir!".

Rugbish I think it's called?

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ah poor Jeff has about 6 hours of tv to fill and try to keep the camera off Merson and the rest of goons as much as possible. Every time they cut to Merson it's all "aaaahJeffwwoeejsknknakkstickitinthecornersonshshjshjahJeffohmydays"
    +1 for Charlie Nicholas
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo8mP7XHq1E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

This mainly applies to soccer, Gaelic football, and hurling but why do commentators feel the need to refer to a race for possession between two players as a “foot race “. Rugby commentators occasionally use the same expression but as we know rugby players seldom actually run , they simply " pump the legs "
    Do they feel the need to describe the contest in this manner just in case we assume they are engaged in a bicycle race, flying race, swimming race, cross country skiing race etc. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I will have to give honourable to Raymond Houghton for mangling grammar.

Especially the tenses.

Listen carefully next time he is co commentator, gets-every-one -of -them -wrong.

Hyphens for emphasis only :D

Aaarrggghh! Muppet on RTE rugby show The Clubhouse is at it too:
    To John Hayes: "You make your Ireland debut at the age of 26"
    No he does not, it's years ago, it's history, he made his debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Aaarrggghh! Muppet on RTE rugby show The Clubhouse is at it too:
    To John Hayes: "You make your Ireland debut at the age of 26"
    No he does not, it's years ago, it's history, he made his debut.

Actually, using present tense to describe past events is pretty common in narratives. The idea is that it makes the story more immediate and brings the listener closer to the event.

Think of a comedian saying 'So I'm walking down the street and this guy comes up to me...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

osarusan wrote: »
    "I've seen them given"...you coward.
    That's actually one of my favourites!
    seamus wrote: »
    Insanely pointless or specific statistics. Paul Collins on Today FM this morning;

"It's the first time in 21 years the green and gold have beaten Cork in the finals"

"At the under-21 level"

"On Cork soil"

That's not even remotely amazing. It seems like every victory needs to have some kind of "historic" statistic pinned to it to make it seem like more than it is.
    Reminds me, recently the Limerick Footballers played a league game on the UL astro and the Limerick GAA Facebook Page described it as historic for being the first National League game on Astroturf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"Team X haven't beaten Team Y in 78 years"...partly because they've been in different divisions for 76 of the intervening years.

Paul Merson being unable to pronounce any name containing more than one syllable.

"These magnificent warriors triumphantly marching out to battle" or pretty much any other hyperbolic metaphorical ****e that Ryle Nugent comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Tsipras wrote: »
    Worst punditism - "he has to improve to get to the level of the Ronaldos of this world" instead of  "he has to improve to get to the level of Ronaldo"

Ahem...

_41817628_ronaldo2032.jpg
    portuguese-forward-cristiano-ronaldo-celebrates-a-goal-during-the-picture-id513900952?s=612x612

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tsipras wrote: »
    Worst punditism - "he has to improve to get to the level of the Ronaldos of this world" instead of  "he has to improve to get to the level of Ronaldo"

Except in this example, there are 2 Ronaldos!

Edit: too late!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp has a particular problem with the word 'literally'

"He’s literally turned him inside out."
    “He had to cut back inside onto his left, because he literally hasn’t got a right foot”
    “[Michael Owen] literally turns into a greyhound”
    Top, top punditry Jamie.

What about his all time best - "Gareth Bale literally has three lungs."

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fdsfdsahhertdd

Jeff, for me, to be fair, at the end of the day, obviously, doyouknowwhatImean?

Thanks for reminding me.
    This isn't really a punditism - just a speech tic which can even be heard from elected representatives.

I really hate "Do you know what I mean?" and "You know?" used as punctuation or gap-fillers. Um and Ah were invented to do that job. They fill the gap and are far less annoying.

I have tried answering "yes/sure/yeah" but that just invites more of the same question. I've tried "no! / gowayyy! / you're kiddin!" but that is like quenching a fire with petrol.

My next plan is to reply "No, I didn't" or "Explain that again?" every time the speaker asks the question.

Needless to say - don't do this to your friends.
    Do you know what I mean like?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Actually, using present tense to describe past events is pretty common in narratives. The idea is that it makes the story more immediate and brings the listener closer to the event.

Think of a comedian saying 'So I'm walking down the street and this guy comes up to me...'

Yes, spot on. Meant to sound more current and immediate and edgy. Used in news and history and Americanism as well as punditry.
    "Man dies in car crash" - Not so bad, it happened recently.
    "King Henry invades France" - WTF? Is he still doing this today?
    "You make your Ireland debut in 2000" Fail. One off event 17 years ago. Sounds like a knob.
    Annoying Punditism, for me, Jeff, at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Pundit: He has done well, for me, then, Rooney.
    Correct: I think Rooney did well.
    Use of th term 'for me' e.g. 'for me he is the best player on the field'. It should be ' in my opinion he is the best player on the field'.

It grinds my gears every time i hear it.

Infuriates me. It makes me want to hurt people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Omackeral wrote: »
    Infuriates me. It makes me want to hurt people.

I first noticed Glenn Hoddle using it constantly and now it seems like every flute is using it. Drives me mental as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

In American Sport the way the broadcasters refer to a current coach or former coach as "Coach".Unless he is your coach or has coached you in the past it's downright stupid to refer to them as Coach.

It's basically like calling any man who has children Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fdsfdsahhertdd

... and now it seems like every flute is using it. Drives me mental as well ...

Haven't heard that word, in that context, since 1979.
    It's classier than DickHe*d, W*nker, GobSh*te or ... other things.

We should bring back the flutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

when the same player scores all the goals in a game

"Valencia nil - CRISTIANO RONALDO 2!!!!!!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

The word "GUILE"....

You will NEVER see or hear of this word....ever, except when it comes to RTÉ pundits talking shïte about soccer. Giles, Dunphy, Brady and now Richie Sadlier is at it.

F*cking guile.

Guile was a character on Streetfighter 2.
    The
    Only other time it's used outside of soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Look, it bugs the ****e out of me when every answer has to start with "Look, ..."

Definitely would strongly advise you against spending any significant amount of time with Davy Fitz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

It's been well documented....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Another one that gets me, often said about stadiums "steeped in tradition"

Advertisement