Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Punditisms

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Commentators using players nicknames instead of their actual names, rearing it's head all morning with Colm Cooper retiring.

The fúcking GOOCH. Then using the nickname along with the whole name Colm Gooch Cooper.

Fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Honesty of effort.

Coupled with 'covering every blade of grass'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭tanko

The "hungriest" team always wins in GAA matches, never happens in other sports though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

tanko wrote: »
    The "hungriest" team always wins in GAA matches, never happens in other sports though.

:eek: It happens in every sport: They were hungrier! They wanted it more!

Bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

"whatever was said in the dressing room at half time worked"

This line is very often spewed out when a team comes from behind to win.
    Utter bulls###e naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

washman3 wrote: »
    "whatever was said in the dressing room at half time worked"

This line is very often spewed out when a team comes from behind to win.
    Utter bulls###e naturally.

I have to comment on this one, as someone who was in this situation only this weekend. Being a supposedly insurmountable score behind at half time, words from our captain and a couple of players inspired us to fight even harder in the 2nd half, and we came back to win with a score with the last play of the game... it was really a case of "what was said at half time worked"

Although I agree its used too much, its not total bull

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

My real hate is needless nonsensical Pluralising which makes no sense, for example:

"You wouldn't get that from your Mayos or Dublins, your Ronaldos or Rooneys, your Englands or Germanys, your Shefflins or Corbetts, your McGeadys or Bradys ... ".
    You get the idea.

God I hate that too so much. Or when they say things like, "When you get balls into the box like that you need a Niall Quinn or a Shane Long at the end of it". ffs, Kevin Kilbane is guilty of this all the time for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The pluralising is a bit odd since it only seems to happen in punditry and doesn't filter into everyday life.

The phrase does make sense though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I don't mean the usual Clichés like 'Game of two halves" or 'Shot on target' or 'gave 110 percent', etc. At least they add something to the point being made.

My real hate is needless nonsensical Pluralising which makes no sense, for example:

"You wouldn't get that from your Mayos or Dublins, your Ronaldos or Rooneys, your Englands or Germanys, your Shefflins or Corbetts, your McGeadys or Bradys ... ".
    You get the idea.

In Snooker Wille Thorne does that at least once every tournament..." ..the Higgins's, the Davis's, the Hendry's, the fdsfdsahhertdd's...of this world...". Well it accidentally makes sense for Higgins as their was Alex and Stephen and John. Still very irritating though.

Also when two two heavyweights in their respective sports meet it's always a 'clash'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Why is every weekend apparently going to be "a great weekend of sport" or "one of the most important weekends in the sporting calendar"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

...and it seems now that a soccer player doesn't kick the ball anymore, instead, he "wraps his foot around it".

As for "hitting the back of the net", surely you can only do that by going BEHIND the goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

When a player returns from injury the player is described as "like a new signing."

F!ck off!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"Mouth watering fixture"

"Possession is vital" No sh*t, Sherlock

"S/he won't want to miss this score" No sh*t part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp has a particular problem with the word 'literally'

"He’s literally turned him inside out."
    “He had to cut back inside onto his left, because he literally hasn’t got a right footâ€
    “[Michael Owen] literally turns into a greyhoundâ€
    Top, top punditry Jamie.

I was watching the 2012 Euros at a friend's house and Jamie said

"He was literally..."

and I was thinking "Here we go! What'll it be?!"

"...literally, up his backside"

and we all just jumped into the air and cheered.
    It was a great moment.
    Korvanica wrote: »
    "You couldn’t write a script like this"

**** off.

Like the fabled 6-pointer, people also take this too, umm, literally.

It doesn't mean that it's not feasible to come up with such a plot, but that it's so cliché you couldn't get away with writing it.

Also, my character set appears to have gone tits upé.
    Fix it boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

He has pace to burn.

Pace by the bucketload.

His first 5 yards are so quick (hope he doesn't have to run 10 yards).

He won't like looking at that on the replay.

He's really putting in a shift (usually as his contract is up for renewal - see Yaya Toure and Emmanual Adebayor for reference)

Sorry if this has been said already, but Jim Beglin is guilty of this all the time

"It was always going wide"
    "It was always going over"
    "He was always winning that tackle"

Wrecks my head!

I have to comment on this one, as someone who was in this situation only this weekend. Being a supposedly insurmountable score behind at half time, words from our captain and a couple of players inspired us to fight even harder in the 2nd half, and we came back to win with a score with the last play of the game... it was really a case of "what was said at half time worked"

Although I agree its used too much, its not total bull

Again a say total bulls###e.
    So why didn't the captain and the couple of players say those 'inspiring words' before the game started and your team would never have been in that position in the first place.?

On the other hand, we often hear that the losing team had a 'massive bust-up' in the dressing room at half-time.
    Maybe that's what happened to your opposition last weekend...;)

Another Jim Beglin classic, 'the referee is a homer'

Could be translated to a few different meanings...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

" you can forget your soccer....hurling is the greatest game in earth" . Or words to that effect from Cyril ****ing Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Why is every weekend apparently going to be "a great weekend of sport" or "one of the most important weekends in the sporting calendar"?

Because they want you to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

seamus wrote: »
    Insanely pointless or specific statistics. Paul Collins on Today FM this morning;

"It's the first time in 21 years the green and gold have beaten Cork in the finals"

"At the under-21 level"

"On Cork soil"

That's not even remotely amazing. It seems like every victory needs to have some kind of "historic" statistic pinned to it to make it seem like more than it is.

I can't listen to that dope Collins

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Two ones that seem to be Marty Morrissey favourites( which in itself is not good )"Thou Shalt Not Pass"

And the rip offs of the mildly amusing when originally said " There won't be a cow milked in ... tonight"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

seamus wrote: »

That's not even remotely amazing. It seems like every victory needs to have some kind of "historic" statistic pinned to it to make it seem like more than it is.

Can't thank this one enough.

"This could be a historic win for Everton as they haven't beaten Arsenal since 2012" or such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

washman3 wrote: »
    Again a say total bulls###e.
    So why didn't the captain and the couple of players say those 'inspiring words' before the game started and your team would never have been in that position in the first place.?

On the other hand, we often hear that the losing team had a 'massive bust-up' in the dressing room at half-time.
    Maybe that's what happened to your opposition last weekend...;)

Its part of sport, you don't know what your going to get until your out there. Words at half time can quite often be more important than words at the beginning because you have 40 minutes of game time behind you and know exactly how both you and the opposition are playing, where as beforehand that isn't the case;)

Anyway, back on topic & speaking of dressing rooms... another one that always grates me is "he's lost the dressing room"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can't listen to that dope Collins

Paul <breaths in through, what sounds like a blocked nasal passage> "I lár na páirce" <breaths in through nose again> Collins.

Gangs of culchies in straw cowboy hats stuffing their faces with ham sandwiches going to the GAA Cup or whatever it's called. Everything to do with GAA annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

"For me, that was a definite pelanty" - Chris Waddle

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

The word "talisman".

Every sports presenter in RTE seems to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Gangs of culchies in straw cowboy hats stuffing their faces with ham sandwiches going to the GAA Cup or whatever it's called. Everything to do with GAA annoys me.

But nowhere near as annoying as posters who contribute to a thread and yet don't actually understand what the topic of the thread is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement