Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA new smart bulb kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Can anyone comment on the firmware version of tradfri bulbs they've picked up from ikea in Dublin recently? Are they all now hue compatible out of the box?

I want to try a few out (particularly the e27 1000 lumen one for €10) but I've no interest in another hub / remote and want to just connect them to my hue setup. I'm in Cork so it's not trivial to pick up and return a hub.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mundogas

I didn't get the e27 1000 lumen one, but I got one e27 1000lm that had 1.2.217 and a number of GU10 warm white  400lm which were all 1.2.214. All are working with hue without issue once paired.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Will these lights work via voice command with Google Home and either a Hue bridge or SmartThings hub?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Will these lights work via voice command with Google Home and either a Hue bridge or SmartThings hub?

Yes. I have my GU10 IKEA lamps working flawlessly with Philips Hue bridge, Philips Hue motion detectors, Philips Hue app and Google Home.

As above, once paired, no issues.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I will say though, I've experienced reliability issues with the €7 GU10 ones. I've two and sometimes one doesn't turn on, has happened half a dozen times now. Also they were a pain to get paired.

However the more expensive ones might be better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Out of 8 one was difficult to pair. I had to disconnect every othe lamp (did this by turning off the MCBs) and pair the troublesome lamp beside the bridge.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

2011 wrote: »
    Out of 8 one was difficult to pair. I had to disconnect every othe lamp (did this by turning off the MCBs) and pair the troublesome lamp beside the bridge.

Which bulbs do you have?

From what I've read elsewhere, I think the cheap €7 GU10's are different from the more expensive ones and much more difficult to pair then the others. It took me almost two hours to pair two of them! I almost gave up.

I have the €7 ones, Stoner picked them up for me over Christmas. I still haven’t paid him! They are working great now.

What do the more expensive GU10s offer? Higher lumen output? Different color temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Excuse my ignorance and laziness to read through the thread but is a hub needed to control the bulbs via a Alexa/echo etc?

tweek84 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance and laziness to read through the thread but is a hub needed to control the bulbs via a Alexa/echo etc?

Yes. One hub for the entire house. Costs about €45

• Advertisement

I have the €7 ones, Stoner picked them up for me over Christmas. I still haven’t paid him! They are working great now.

:D Not sure why mine were such a pain so!
    What do the more expensive GU10s offer? Higher lumen output? Different color temperatures?

Yes, different white colour temperature and I think higher output.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, different white colour temperature and I think higher output.

Cool. How much?

Cool. How much?

€15 though no personal experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,206 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do these exist with GU4 type connections?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

Is there anyone around Dublin with the Ikea hub that could update the firmware on a couple of GU10s for me? I bought 3 expensive ones and 4 cheap ones. 2 of the 4 refused to pair. I’m just back from Ikea with new ones and they won’t pair either. I even have the Hue hub right beside them with a 15m Ethernet cable. Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm not that far from Dublin. If you can't find closer, drop me a PM.
    Did the ones that won't pair come in the same batch as ones that did?
    I'd be surprised if it's a firmware problem on the bulb if so.

I've successfully paired IKEA bulbs to a HUE hub, but when I did I just paired the Remote to the hue hub and then took the remote around to the bulbs.
    There is no visible response on the Philips app to show that the remote is paired, but what you're doing is setting the channel to be the same so that the devices can form a network. After that, anything joined to the remote can see the hub.

When you're pairing, do you make sure to have only one bulb powered on at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭stimpson

niallb wrote: »
    I'm not that far from Dublin. If you can't find closer, drop me a PM.
    Did the ones that won't pair come in the same batch as ones that did?
    I'd be surprised if it's a firmware problem on the bulb if so.

I've successfully paired IKEA bulbs to a HUE hub, but when I did I just paired the Remote to the hue hub and then took the remote around to the bulbs.
    There is no visible response on the Philips app to show that the remote is paired, but what you're doing is setting the channel to be the same so that the devices can form a network. After that, anything joined to the remote can see the hub.

When you're pairing, do you make sure to have only one bulb powered on at a time?

Thanks for the offer but I got there in the end. I did have only one light powered at a time and the others paired without issue. After doing some research I used an app called “Hue Lights” which has a function called Touchlink which uses low level Zigbee command to force pair the bulb. It took a few mins but it’s all working now with a Philips motion sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Picked up 4 €7 GU10s in Ikea yesterday - they seemed to have plenty of stock. Had quite a job pairing them to my Hue hub until I discovered the right way to reset them (none of them were detected out of the box). Basically you have to leave them on for the shortest time possible and leave them off for slightly longer - repeat x 6. I have read that they need to be really close to the hub to pair properly but didn't make a difference for me - hub approx 4 metres away. I turned off all my other hue lights at the mains while individually pairing the ikea bulbs - not sure if this is strictly necessary.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Had quite a job pairing them to my Hue hub

Me too, but once sucessfully paired there are no further issues.
    Basically you have to leave them on for the shortest time possible and leave them off for slightly longer - repeat x 6

I didn't have to do this.
    I have read that they need to be really close to the hub to pair properly but didn't make a difference for me

I seemed to need one of mine close to the hub to pair.
    I turned off all my other hue lights at the mains while individually pairing the ikea bulbs - not sure if this is strictly necessary.

I am convinced that this helped me pair one of mine.

It was kind of strange for me, some paired instantly others required a little more effort and one was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Picked up a E14 Ikea bulb yesterday in Ikea - works flawlessly with Hue Bridge. It's the white spectrum one so good for lamps. They didn't have any of the (cheaper) warm white candle E14 bulbs in stock.

Paired OK but had to do the on/off x 6 reset first.

2jcujjs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/04/12/ikea-tradfri-smart-lights-can-now-controlled-google-home-assistant/

Ikea TRÅDFRI smart lights can now be controlled from Google Home and Assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Are these E14 bulbs impossible to get so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alcritic

I have my Ikea lights set up (with Ikea hub and Remotes), I have the Alexa skill enabled in the tradfri app. (I cant find the tradfri skill in Alexas menu though) When I ask Alexa to find new devices it says none can be found.

Anyone any ideas how to get them working? Have I missed a vital step somewhere along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Are these E14 bulbs impossible to get so?

The candle E14s are gone off both the Irish and UK site so must be discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

paulbok wrote: »
    The candle E14s are gone off both the Irish and UK site so must be discontinued.

Really? Shoot! I just put up a couple of e14 wall lights with the intention of putting them in there.
    Have ikea gu10 and e27 smart lights everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    Really? Shoot! I just put up a couple of e14 wall lights with the intention of putting them in there.
    Have ikea gu10 and e27 smart lights everywhere else

They still have the golf ball e14s

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Yeah ill have to see if they will fit in the enclosure. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Picked up a E27 and 3 x GU10s at the weekend. E27 picked up by hue hub without issue and installing GU10s tomorrow and would expect similar easy install given they are from an even newer batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Nelbert wrote: »
    Picked up a E27 and 3 x GU10s at the weekend. E27 picked up by hue hub without issue and installing GU10s tomorrow and would expect similar easy install given they are from an even newer batch.

I also recently picked up an e27 colour bulb with dimmer. I have found the ikea e27 green spectrum to be very poor(similar to the Hue gu10 greens). Apart from that I have had no issue using it with the rest of my Hue setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They have started doing a wireless controller for the LED strips.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/integrated-lighting/tr%C3%A5dfri-driver-for-wireless-control-grey-art-60342656/

I've got it for some old LED strips I do not used anymore as I replaced them and with a motion sensor it will go into a wardrobe.

Advertisement