Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA new smart bulb kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

manual doesn't say anything about integration with existing open protocols. be very curious what is possible there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Apparently they are using Zigbee so should be open.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tallpaul wrote: »
    Other bulbs in the range include Halogen GU10's for €15...

I assume you mean LED GU10's that might replace older Halogen GU10's

I think Ikea has already gotten rid of all non LED bulbs *, so I don't see them bringing out a new Halogen!

* And high praise from me for doing that, they really are leading the way on sustainability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The standard Trådfri bulbs are dimmable LED lights with three color temperature options — 2200K, 2700K, and 4000K — that Ikea claims each last around 25,000 hours. A standalone 980 lumen E27 Trådfri bulb runs for 199 kr (around $22.68), but there are also smaller GU10 and E14 sizes that run for 149 kr ($16.99). Ikea is also offering a variety of standalone bundles, including the motion sensor set (249 kr / $28.39) and a light / remote bundle (299 kr / $34.09). Obviously, those remote systems will work with the app and gateway controller (sold separately at 249 kr / $28.39) as well.

Additionally, Ikea is selling a series of LED Floalt panels, along with illuminated doors for various Ikea storage units that will also be compatible with the Trådfri system, and which serve as a powerful early indicator of how Ikea might leverage its existing modular systems to incorporate its smart home systems.
    http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/27/15071562/ikea-tradfri-smart-lights-gateway-ethernet-cheap-dimmer-remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

That video is weirdly hypnotic! Feel bad for the girl at the end standing in the kitchen and all the lights turn out!

Great to see IKEA get into this space, can only increase competition and drive down prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Feel bad for the girl at the end standing in the kitchen and all the lights turn out!

Probable waiting to serve tea..
    sddefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

tallpaul wrote: »
    Apparently they are using Zigbee so should be open.

Most of ikea's lights are made by Philips anyway so should hopefully work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Caillte wrote: »
    Most of ikea's lights are made by Philips anyway so should hopefully work.

Seemingly from other forums, they don't currently work together. Though there is talk of this changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Just had a look at the Irish site there now...good selection at launch of products.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=TR%C3%85DFRI+

Just a €7 saving in buying starter bundle 'Gateway Kit' (€79) instead of individually.

Bit more competition might help bring cost of things down a little :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

no options for colour bulbs?

• Advertisement

Annoying that the motion sensor isn't sold on it's own! It only comes bundled with an E27 bulb! What if you want to use it with GU10 bulbs or E15 bulbs. Bad decision.

Also will be interesting to see if these work with Hue or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Doesn't appear to be any B22's.

I moved into a new build house in late Jan and it's all B22. I would have assumed it was the main type?

It's good news that Ikea are in this space though. I haven't stepped into the smart lighting world yet, but I am keen to (even if the boss is saying no).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bk wrote: »
    Annoying that the motion sensor isn't sold on it's own! It only comes bundled with an E27 bulb! What if you want to use it with GU10 bulbs or E15 bulbs. Bad decision.

that's what I want to know

bk wrote: »
    lawred2 wrote: »
    that's what I want to know

Answering my own question, the IKEA bulbs don't currently work with the Hue bridge.

It seems that while they use Zigbee too, they are using a different profile (ZHA) then what Philips and other bulbs use (ZLL).
    T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be any B22's.

I moved into a new build house in late Jan and it's all B22. I would have assumed it was the main type?

B22 is a British Standard, mostly only used in the UK and Ireland. The Exx standards are used in the rest of Europe and US (a different version of the same standard). The Exx standard is a better design and more robust fit. Ireland has also been gradually moving towards the Exx standard.

Ikea only sells Exx bulbs, smart and non smart and frankly that is for the better.

Ikea does sell B22 to E27 adaptors and you can also easily replace light fittings with Exx ones too if you like.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bk wrote:
    Ikea does sell B22 to E27 adaptors and you can also easily replace light fittings with Exx ones too if you like.

Replacement is the way to go here

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

Don't want to veer off topic too much but have searched many places (unsuccessfully) for replacement E27 light fittings, especially pendant types. Any links or pointers much appreciated.

Edit: my local electrical wholesaler only has ceramic E27 fittings suitable for out houses etc. B&Q, Woodies, etc no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭niallb

Pop into IKEA.
    You can buy a 3 pendant cord set called HEMMA for €7.
    I cut them and wired them to the existing ceiling roses.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/shades-bases/hemma-triple-cord-set-white-art-10325659/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Don't want to veer off topic too much but have searched many places (unsuccessfully) for replacement E27 light fittings, especially pendant types. Any links or pointers much appreciated.

Edit: my local electrical wholesaler only has ceramic E27 fittings suitable for out houses etc. B&Q, Woodies, etc no luck.

IKEA. They exclusively sell edison screw light fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Had a browse of these in Dublin at the weekend, they now have light panels for a wall or ceiling that also connect, would be useful for basic lighting in say a store room or ceiling where you haven't depth to hang or recess a light.
    and replacement door panels that fit some of their furniture, didn't check which, but possibly for bathroom and kitchen cabinets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

lafors wrote: »

Will you have to buy new bulbs? I can't see how this would affect the existing bulbs people have already bought. Or have I lost the plot somehow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

scorn wrote: »
    Will you have to buy new bulbs? I can't see how this would affect the existing bulbs people have already bought. Or have I lost the plot somehow :confused:

Voice control will work via the Ikea hub, which will then control the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

So I got a few bits and pieces from IKEA yesterday.
    Got the hub, a remote, a motion sensor, 1 normal bulb, 6 GU10.

So to set up is easy enough, hub to Lan and power, then download the app to your phone and scan the QR code on the bottom of the hub.
    Next get the sensors you want to use and pair them to the hub.
    Finally pair the sensor to whichever bulb you want, note each sensor can only do max. 10 bulbs, bit annoying for me as my kitchen has 12 GU10 and I was hoping to have them all on one sensor but I can break them into an 8 and 4 for my setup if I have to.

Motion sensor is perfect, working 100% of the time so far.

Remote sensor again works perfectly.

GU10 bulbs are 400lm, actually brighter than my normal bulbs that were in there.
    The one problem is that they do not fit in far enough to let me put that horse shoe ring holder yoke back on so some sit out a bit from the ceiling...need to figure that one out.
    The bulbs go from bright white to bright yellow.

The app is rev 1.0 it's pretty simple and it does work well so far. The could be more options available though but it being IKEA I'd say this is only the start of the market for them.

Roll on Google Home support later in the summer :)

Any questions fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Supported in OpenHAB 2.1 released yesterday too.

IKEA have brought out a colour bulb! It's 600 lumen rather than the 800 lumen of the Hue equivalent but it's here.
    I'm going to see if they have them in stock in Dublin tomorrow, though they're not on the Irish website yet.

A very recent firmware update seemingly allows many Tradfri bulbs to be paired with the Hue Bridge.
    The earliest bulbs released are not supported yet, but the variable temperature ones and the new colour ones should be.
    There's a few videos coming out in the last few weeks which seem to show them being paired, though you still need the IKEA hub to update the firmware.
    If I get it working myself I'll post back!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would like to know a guaranteed sales life for these before committing - my kitchen has extensive, not particularly cheap, IKEA under-cabinet LED lighting which is now withdrawn and of course I have a dead unit and no replacement exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

niallb wrote: »
    IKEA have brought out a colour bulb! It's 600 lumen rather than the 800 lumen of the Hue equivalent but it's here.
    I'm going to see if they have them in stock in Dublin tomorrow, though they're not on the Irish website yet.

A very recent firmware update seemingly allows many Tradfri bulbs to be paired with the Hue Bridge.
    The earliest bulbs released are not supported yet, but the variable temperature ones and the new colour ones should be.
    There's a few videos coming out in the last few weeks which seem to show them being paired, though you still need the IKEA hub to update the firmware.
    If I get it working myself I'll post back!

Was out in IKEA today and had a look at these. The bulbs themselves (in particular the E14) are bigger and not as nice as the Hue ones but the control switch for them is nicer than the Hue dimmers.

If I could have guaranteed that it would work with the Hue bridge without needing a gateway to update then I would have picked up a couple of the GU10 bulbs.

I have two of the E27 colour temperature ones in the kitchen along with the dimmer/temperature changer. They work really well and I have them working with Alexa too via openhab2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

niallb wrote:
    A very recent firmware update seemingly allows many Tradfri bulbs to be paired with the Hue Bridge. The earliest bulbs released are not supported yet, but the variable temperature ones and the new colour ones should be. There's a few videos coming out in the last few weeks which seem to show them being paired, though you still need the IKEA hub to update the firmware. If I get it working myself I'll post back!

So if you have an existing hue setup, you can add the IKEA bulbs to it?

Advertisement