Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA new smart bulb kit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭niallb

https://youtu.be/lU9za1qlego

Looks like it.
    You still need to use an IKEA hub to make sure the bulb firmware is updated first.

I'm going to get a new bulb to try it because my existing lights are working the way I want them to!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

niallb wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/lU9za1qlego

Looks like it.
    You still need to use an IKEA hub to make sure the bulb firmware is updated first.

I'm going to get a new bulb to try it because my existing lights are working the way I want them to!

At some point the bulbs will be sold with the latest firmware so the Ikea hub won't be necessary.

How much is the Ikea hub?

The gateway on its own is €32, but I got a kit for €79 which included two variable temperature E27 bulbs and a really nice wireless dimmer switch.
    Just search for Tradfri on IKEA.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

That's very interesting. Does that mean an Ikea bulb would show up in the Philips Hue app? Or would you also need to have the Ikea app do you know?

Moving house soon so in need of a lot of GU10's so could save a good bit!

Cheers,
    BigAl.

I'd be very slow to go smart on the GU10's individually if they're wired for example as a group of 10.
    I've replaced all the GU10's in my kitchen with standard LED bulbs, and have a wireless z-wave switch to control them as a unit.
    I'm a bit happier doing that than having to replace a load of smart bulbs if anything goes wrong. It's a lot cheaper.
    I also don't need to dim those bulbs as I have other lights in the room for that.

If the firmware update to the Ikea bulbs (and perhaps the recent Hue bridge update) makes them adoptable by the Philips Hue bridge, you would not need the Ikea app to control them.
    I expect that while adopted by the Hue bridge, you'd also no longer be able to control them with the the Ikea app at all, which is why I'm saving my experiments for a new bulb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

anyone know if ikea would go into the coloured bulbs?

IKEA launched a colour bulb in a few countries in August. They're not here yet, but it's probably only a matter of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Is it likely that they'll ever do a B22 bulb? Or do I need to change all the fittings in my house? :):o

I know there are adapters but they add too much length to the bulbs imo.

IKEA will never do a B22 bulb.
    I change my fitting every time I need to change a bulb here - nearly all done now!
    They're not easy to find in a hardware shop, so what I've been doing for pendant lights
    is buying an IKEA Hemma 3 cord set for €7 and cutting them individually to length.

There's much more variety available in e27 than in B22 at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it likely that they'll ever do a B22 bulb? Or do I need to change all the fittings in my house? :):o

I know there are adapters but they add too much length to the bulbs imo.

You'd be better off changing your fittings every time you buy a new bulb.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    You'd be better off changing your fittings every time you buy a new bulb.

Are they easy to change? Could a dope like me do it? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭bren2001

I'm going to venture into the smart lighting world. They are gu10's but I want gu10 bulbs.

Is my best solution to get the HUE bridge and then pick up some of the ikea bulbs as they are now compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

If you're going to use other hue products then yes, if you're going all ikea then you could get the ikea hub.

If you're prepared to wait a little you could get the Echo plus which will have its own smart hub built in.

If you're prepared to wait a little you could get the Echo plus which will have its own smart hub built in.

Wow, that's a pretty compelling feature for the new Echo isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭bren2001

If you're going to use other hue products then yes, if you're going all ikea then you could get the ikea hub.

I'm right in saying the IKEA app is quite a bit worse than the hue app? e.g. being limited in colour selection etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Would B&Q stock anything like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

paddyref wrote: »
    Would B&Q stock anything like this ?

They might have the Philips Hue ones but they are expensive. You are better off getting them from Amazon. I'd wait for the next Amazon sale and you should be able to pick up a started kit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭paulbok

Did you find a definitive guide to what will work with the echo hub yet? Haven't seen one yet

bren2001 wrote: »
    I'm right in saying the IKEA app is quite a bit worse than the hue app? e.g. being limited in colour selection etc?
    Since IKEA have not even released colour bulbs in most countries,
    they've seen little need for full colour support in their app just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

So, the IKEA GU10's - has anyone tested them with hue or do you still need to "upgrade" them with an IKEA hub?

Have 3 dumb GU10 spots in the kithen, would like to get them linked to my bridge w/ motion sensor - no need for colour

• Advertisement

Shlippery wrote: »
    So, the IKEA GU10's - has anyone tested them with hue or do you still need to "upgrade" them with an IKEA hub?
    I'll be in Dublin today and I'm tempted to buy one to check.
    I have an IKEA gateway so I can upgrade the firmware.
    I've a lot more than 3 bulbs in the kitchen, so I've been been using ordinary LED GU10s with a central switch. Making them all individually smart would be unnecessary and expensive. One dimmable one over the sink though...

I'll be in Dublin today and I'm tempted to buy one to check.
    I have an IKEA gateway so I can upgrade the firmware.
    I've a lot more than 3 bulbs in the kitchen, so I've been been using ordinary LED GU10s with a central switch. Making them all individually smart would be unnecessary and expensive. One dimmable one over the sink though...

I put colour Hue bulbs in the kitchen, sorry now I didn't just get a dimmable relay switch instead. Never use the colour so standard dimmable bulbs would have sufficed with a relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

paulbok wrote: »
    I put colour Hue bulbs in the kitchen, sorry now I didn't just get a dimmable relay switch instead. Never use the colour so standard dimmable bulbs would have sufficed with a relay.

You could always sell them and get non-coloured ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was talking to somebody at work about google home that they were going to get. And they were like, "it'll be great to have voice activated lights, TV, music". I tried to explain that it can't simply control lights by magic. The bulb needs to be connected to Home some how. "Nah, it works wirelessly". SMH

I've no interest in Google home. But can somebody explain why I need smart bulbs in my life? What does this Ikea set do

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You could always sell them and get non-coloured ones?

They're in now, can't see myself going through the hassle of changing them and having to put in a relay.
    Year and a half old, so would probably do well to get the cost of non colour bulbs

I was in IKEA today and I got a GU10 - €15 for the variable spectrum one, €7 for a 2700 only.

While I was there I saw they had a box of the new colour ones with at least 3 gone.
    They were only available in a box of one bulb with a remote control at €40.
    I'd have bought one if I could have got it alone, but not this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

niallb wrote:
    I was in IKEA today and I got a GU10 - €15 for the variable spectrum one, €7 for a 2700 only.

That's hardly €7 for a GU10 smart bulb is it?? Or was it just a regular "dumb" bulb?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BigAl81 wrote: »
    That's hardly €7 for a GU10 smart bulb is it?? Or was it just a regular "dumb" bulb?
    It's a dimmable GU10. Fixed colour temp.
    The e15 one is variable colour temp and brightness

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/?k=TRÅDFRI%20LED%20bulb%20GU10%20400%20lumen

A dumb , on/off only, is e2 or so in ikea

As @mellor said, "dumb" bulbs in IKEA are €4 for a pack of two GU10...

• Advertisement

...I was in IKEA today and I got a GU10 - €15 for the variable spectrum one...

Took a little while to get a chance to experiment with it, but the IKEA bulb works fine with Hue.

With the latest firmware I was able to pair the IKEA GU10 with my Hue hub without any problems.
    I put the hub right beside the bulb and made sure my other bulbs (and IKEA bridge) were turned off as suggested in the howto.

Advertisement