Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland, failed state?

Options
  • 28-03-2017 7:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

It is increasingly obvious that Ireland is a failed stated. Look at all what is going on today. The people are being forgotten and inconvenienced all the time. Some of the issues:

1. This disgusting rogue bus strike. Ireland MUST BE the only country in the world without legislation to properly deal with rogue strikes. The right of people to have a service should overrule any dispute between parties and especially here as neither wants to show goodwill. Any other country would declare this an illegal criminal action and disband this rogue strike immediately.

2. The Garda corruption. All faith in the police force flies out the door when one hears that Gardai are using forged convictions to up their route to promotion. Once more, government action here has been poor.

3. The banking crisis. The way the banks were able to extort money from the government still is felt today by many who lost their jobs because of a recession to bail out the rich, warmongers, speculators, etc. and Ireland was in the thick of all this global caball.

4. The church. Clerical abuse, Magdalene launderies, industrial schools, etc. I am a Christian but have not been a Catholic for a long time.

These are just 4 examples of Ireland's failed state and all show dictatorship is well and truly alive, forced not by the inactive and ineffective government but by entities the government has decided should act without being regulated often.

Don't get me wrong: Ireland is a lovely country with a lot to offer. But it is poorly governed and because of this, non-government dictators have taken hold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It is increasingly obvious that Ireland is a failed stated. Look at all what is going on today. The people are being forgotten and inconvenienced all the time. Some of the issues:

1. This disgusting rogue bus strike. Ireland MUST BE the only country in the world without legislation to properly deal with rogue strikes. The right of people to have a service should overrule any dispute between parties and especially here as neither wants to show goodwill. Any other country would declare this an illegal criminal action and disband this rogue strike immediately.

2. The Garda corruption. All faith in the police force flies out the door when one hears that Gardai are using forged convictions to up their route to promotion. Once more, government action here has been poor.

3. The banking crisis. The way the banks were able to extort money from the government still is felt today by many who lost their jobs because of a recession to bail out the rich, warmongers, speculators, etc. and Ireland was in the thick of all this global caball.

4. The church. Clerical abuse, Magdalene launderies, industrial schools, etc. I am a Christian but have not been a Catholic for a long time.

These are just 4 examples of Ireland's failed state and all show dictatorship is well and truly alive, forced not by the inactive and ineffective government but by entities the government has decided should act without being regulated often.

Don't get me wrong: Ireland is a lovely country with a lot to offer. But it is poorly governed and because of this, non-government dictators have taken hold.

Ah would you ever go on; there really is some drivel on boards some days. So your definition of a "failed state" is a bus strike? Jesus the buses and trains in London are on strike every few months; train drivers in Berlin had a big strike last year - and they're some of the wealthiest cities in the world.

As for police corruption; I had an AK47 wielding cop demand money off me in Ghana for the heinous crime of being in a taxi passing his roadblock.

I would suggest you don't know the meaning of the term failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I prefer rogue state

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/rogue_state
    a nation or state regarded as breaking international law and posing a threat to the security of other nations.

Are the bus drivers about to invade somewhere? How are they going to do that when they won't drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

FTA69 wrote: »
    Ah would you ever go on; there really is some drivel on boards some days. So your definition of a "failed state" is a bus strike? Jesus the buses and trains in London are on strike every few months; train drivers in Berlin had a big strike last year - and they're some of the wealthiest cities in the world.

As for police corruption; I had an AK47 wielding cop demand money off me in Ghana for the heinous crime of being in a taxi passing his roadblock.

Even that's not a failed state. The government is still in control. When I think of a failed state I think of a place with no functioning government like Somalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

One thing it never failed at was corruption

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

you don't know the meaning of the term failed state.
    Grayson wrote: »
    I prefer rogue state

Ah shure, we're in an awful state altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

When people dismiss one's concerns, no wonder things remain bad. This bus strike along with the other 3 things I mention are wrong and Ireland would be a better country without them.

Sure, that Ghana incident is worse police corruption that is quite clear. Then, there are other places near Ghana that are even worse again. Ghana is meant to be stable West Africa!

Ireland is a failed state in many ways. That does NOT mean it is the worst failed state but things are slipping and there are things that need solving now before things get worse. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Failed State? Far from it.

Incompetent, lacking backbone and soft as puppy sh1t, yes.

Libya is a failed state, Ireland is deficient in strong leadership.

The examples in the OP are mirrored throughout the world in various respects, that doesnt mean they are all failed states.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

One thing it never failed at was corruption
    We are very good at Corruption and particularly at hiding it.....

We are certainly up there with the best of them for staying in Position no matter how incompetent / corrupt our politicians are found to be........

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I would have thought the state of our health service, suicide rates and the fact that we are heading to be the most obese country in Europe would have been higher up the list than a bus strike..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Amoan Grumpy gives his view...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

When I see peopke saying Ireland must be the only place where... I assume this person has extremely limited experience of the world.

Ireland is not failed. It is not perfect but it is highly ranked for democracy and transparency. It has a functional civil service.

Come back to me when you have read up on Syria, Yemen and Somalia. You dont know what a failed state is of you think Ireland is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    I would have thought the state of our health service, suicide rates and the fact that we are heading to be the most obese country in Europe would have been higher up the list than a bus strike..

The same poster has been running around boards posting in every bus strike thread, methinks someones life might be slightly inconvenienced by the strike.

Hilarious that it's something as trivial as a bus strike that was the straw to break the camels back for the OP tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

If you think things are pear-shaped now, wait until I'm elected President. Remember Marlon Brando as Col. Walter Kurtz in Apocalypse Now? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Busses are cool OP...

That's pretty fuckin' metal. How about this fella, firing a bendy-bus in sideways like Ari Vatanen:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

See the thread I started on irish people and their whinging for my response op:)

You are the type of person I was talking about.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057716158/1/#post102882317

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Failed state....ha ha. Ridiculous.

OP should go live in Iraq, Somalia, Syria or Libya for a while.

Every country has problems, even the successful ones and Ireland is actually very successful and wealthy and if you have travelled at all you would realise it's one of the better places to live in the world.

A bus strike or political in-competencies does not make a country a failed state.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Fair play to the OP for starting a Bus and Bus-Driver appreciation thread. Here are some more Bus Driver skills on display: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

When people dismiss one's concerns, no wonder things remain bad. This bus strike along with the other 3 things I mention are wrong and Ireland would be a better country without them.

Sure, that Ghana incident is worse police corruption that is quite clear. Then, there are other places near Ghana that are even worse again. Ghana is meant to be stable West Africa!

Ireland is a failed state in many ways. That does NOT mean it is the worst failed state but things are slipping and there are things that need solving now before things get worse. Simple as.

In fairness Ghana is quite successful and anyone who has spent any time there knows the local cops like to play a little game of toll booths now and again.

I think you need to go an live in a real failed state for a while, for example somewhere that cracks down on people striking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fair play to the OP for starting a Bus and Bus-Driver appreciation thread. Here are some more Bus Driver skills on display: :)

Bus drivers 10/10, the guy filming it on a potato, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AMC1991

Ireland isn't a failed state by any means. However, my biggest gripe with Ireland is the severe lack of accountability across the majority of the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

I think the OP missed his bus due to the strike & now is out of there comfort Zone , sure that equals a failed state, We are a lot of things, but a failed state is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

VinLieger wrote: »
    The same poster has been running around boards posting in every bus strike thread, methinks someones life might be slightly inconvenienced by the strike.

Hilarious that it's something as trivial as a bus strike that was the straw to break the camels back for the OP tbh.

Or that he thinks strikes are examples of a "failed state", or that other countries don't have them.

Strikes in fact only happen in stable democracies.

Or that he thinks strikes are examples of a "failed state", or that other countries don't have them.

Strikes in fact only happen in stable democracies.

Correct. In an actual failed state, the strikers would promptly be shot by the first warlord who wanted to go by bus to visit his mammy. Here, the minister with relevant portfolio hasn't even punched anybody. How stable is that?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

It's hardly Venezuala... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

To show how 'good' Ireland is many here compare it to places like Somalia or bombed and destroyed States like Libya :D
    Hey how about comparing with its fellow western European democracies and decide is it a failure in comparasion to most of them.
    It certainly is a failure compared to the rest of the northern non Latin countries.
    Ireland is after all one of the PIGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think perspective is needed here.
    Yes there are some problems ongoing with the running of the state and many wouldnon the face of it seem avoidable. But I done see our problems as being much more than other states, particularly those coming out from under colonisation. I'd say compared to states across Europe were doing just fine.

If you want to see proper failed states maybe research North Korea, or any host of African nations.

A bus strike does not equal a failed state and I don't see much illegal about it since they followed the industrial action protocols as required by the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

archer22 wrote: »
    To show how 'good' Ireland is many here compare it to places like Somalia or bombed and destroyed States like Libya :D
    Hey how about comparing with its fellow western European democracies and decide is it a failure in comparasion to most of them.
    It certainly is a failure compared to the rest of the northern non Latin countries.

The comparison is done because the OP said Ireland is a failed state and people are defining what a failed state is.

As for being compared to other European states, we are still successful.

Being part of PIGS is an economic issue and Ireland has recovered the best out of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

archer22 wrote: »

34,000 homeless people in Sweden says otherwise.

Advertisement