Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland, failed state?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

op your understanding of the topic is severely lacking

then again the glory of boards lives on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,267 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

kupus wrote: »
    Say that to a guy that has worked all his life and didnt complain about it. He just got on with it.
    tell him how great the country is and how the magnificent health service that he has contributed to all his life now has a year and a half waiting list to check and see if he has a life threatening condition now that he is a pensioner.

Yeah the country is grrreat shure it is.

He wouldn't want to be a pregnant woman in rural Sweden, would he?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39418887

"One midwife, Stina Naslund, told the BBC about the traumatic birth experiences of pregnant women after a ward was shut down in early February in the remote town of Solleftea, some 500km (300 miles) north of the capital Stockholm.

The closure meant that pregnant women faced a drive of 100km to 220km to reach the next nearest maternity ward, she said.
    Since then one woman had been forced to give birth in her car, another in a fire engine manned by volunteers, and another in a taxi.
    And those who attempted the drive to the nearest alternative ward had to negotiate one of Sweden's most dangerous roads - in an uninhabited and dark area, with no mobile connection."

In the rest of Europe, in order to maintain a certain level of public services, they are centralised. One of the biggest problems Ireland has is the decentralised nature of living with the scourge of bungalow blight and one-off housing not only spoiling the landscape but also making the provision of public services much more difficult. Still, interesting to see that despite the vaulted claims, other European states have similar difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

This hasnt gone quite the way the OP wanted.

This is a failed thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

gramar wrote: »
    Amoan Grumpy gives his view...

Eamon Dunphy has a very high IQ . Ireland/Eire failed state /the Underbelly of Ireland he is 100 per cent Correct that Ireland is a Kip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Eamon Dunphy has a very high IQ . Ireland/Eire failed state /the Underbelly of Ireland .
    Here's another one. :rolleyes:

Where's Realitykeeper with his "unique" perspective? One post from him and my bingo card of Boards lunacy will be full up.

• Advertisement

Eamon Dunphy has a very high IQ . Ireland/Eire failed state /the Underbelly of Ireland he is 100 per cent Correct that Ireland is a dump.

Do you live in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Do you live in Ireland?

Waa it his use of eire that made you suspicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

NEVER have I paid a cent on a Spanish Autovia which is of the same quality as the Dublin-Galway M4. The tolled roads can be avoided in Spain as there is always an alternative untolled autovia of high quality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autov%C3%ADa

You understand Ireland is smaller and has less population than spain yeah? That affects how we each pay for our infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ireland is a moralistic state.

And the highest moral value of all is money.

Eamon Dunphy has a very high IQ . Ireland/Eire failed state /the Underbelly of Ireland he is 100 per cent Correct that Ireland is a Kip.
    I am Irish Eire is the Irish for Ireland. Eamon Dunphy is Outspoken on ones opinions and his has Foresight . Knowledge and he has a very high IQ of the corruption in the likes of Government, An Garda Siochana, Tusla HSE , The Church,The Banks, The Schools and so on... I will go one better than Eamon Dunphy Ireland is a Dictatorship.

• Advertisement

I am Irish Eire is the Irish for Ireland. Eamon Dunphy is Outspoken on ones opinions and his has Foresight . Knowledge and he has a very high IQ of the corruption in the likes of Government, An Garda Siochana, Tusla HSE , The Church,The Banks, The Schools and so on... I will go one better than Eamon Dunphy Ireland is a Dictatorship.

You post like Eamon speaks.

Thats one of the stupidist posts I have ever seen.

What is Eamon's IQ?
    Why should we listen to and agree with Eamon?
    What exactly is a Dictatorship?
    Why dont you emigrate if Ireland is such a dump?

If you are unhappy with the current state of affairs in Eire, what are you doing about it now and what is your 5 year outlook based on your current and future plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It is increasingly obvious that Ireland is a failed stated. Look at all what is going on today. The people are being forgotten and inconvenienced all the time. Some of the issues:

1. This disgusting rogue bus strike. Ireland MUST BE the only country in the world without legislation to properly deal with rogue strikes. The right of people to have a service should overrule any dispute between parties and especially here as neither wants to show goodwill. Any other country would declare this an illegal criminal action and disband this rogue strike immediately.

2. The Garda corruption. All faith in the police force flies out the door when one hears that Gardai are using forged convictions to up their route to promotion. Once more, government action here has been poor.

3. The banking crisis. The way the banks were able to extort money from the government still is felt today by many who lost their jobs because of a recession to bail out the rich, warmongers, speculators, etc. and Ireland was in the thick of all this global caball.

4. The church. Clerical abuse, Magdalene launderies, industrial schools, etc. I am a Christian but have not been a Catholic for a long time.

These are just 4 examples of Ireland's failed state and all show dictatorship is well and truly alive, forced not by the inactive and ineffective government but by entities the government has decided should act without being regulated often.

Don't get me wrong: Ireland is a lovely country with a lot to offer. But it is poorly governed and because of this, non-government dictators have taken hold.

Will ya stop.

Somalia is a failed state. Zimbabwe is a failed state. Haiti is a failed state.

Are you saying Ireland is the same as the above?

If you are, seek professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Come back maryishere, all is forgiven. This one makes you look normal.

I will go one better than Eamon Dunphy
    Are you going to insure your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Listen, I wouldn't trust Dunphy's opinion on the one topic that he is supposed to be an expert on - Football - never mind on anything beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Dumpy doesn't know which side his bread is buttered on, he gets a free taxi to RTE now and then
    to spout nonsense at the licence payers expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Don't forget about An Post refusing to deliver cheap Chinese goods. WHERE THE FÛCK ARE MY PACKAGES AN POST?!?!? Where!!!! :mad:

This Gentleman Eamon Dunphy he is genius he is 100 years ahead of the average man . Modern ideas he understood whats going on in Ireland/Eire.

he is 100 years ahead of the average man
    He certainly looks 100 years older than the average man.

He certainly looks 100 years older than the average man.
    ahahahaha:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Failed state would be too extreme a label even for the pre-Celtic Tiger years, if you're relatively middle-class and your face and personality fit then this is one of the best countries in Europe to reside, there's a lot that drives me nuts about it, but they're mostly connected with the size and mentality of the place, countries which I particularly like, for example Denmark or the Netherlands have a far longer established and organic independence than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Ireland was once a colonised country. It's still a relatively young country. It has a small population and it is a peripheral Island. It's not abundant in natural resources. In it's recent history Ireland has experienced oppression, famine, civil war, religious oppression, mass emigration. Given all that Ireland is remarkably successful. Now it's one of the most wealthy, best educated, least corrupt, most transparent, forward thinking and even progressive countries in the world. We have come a long way in a short amount of time and have done well with what we have.

Yes it's far from perfect and there are many things that frustrate me about this country and in particular the Government and MANY things I wish we did differently. But really in terms of global issues our problems are pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ireland was once a colonised country. It's still a relatively young country. It has a small population and it is a peripheral Island. It's not abundant in natural resources. In it's recent history Ireland has experienced oppression, famine, civil war, religious oppression, mass emigration. Given all that Ireland is remarkably successful. Now it's one of the most wealthy, best educated, least corrupt, most transparent, forward thinking and even progressive countries in the world. We have come a long way in a short amount of time and have done well with what we have.

Yes it's far from perfect and there are many things that frustrate me about this country and in particular the Government and MANY things I wish we did differently. But really in terms of global issues our problems are pretty small.
    You can add major economic recession to the recent history list as well even! turbulent little history we've had huh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Eire is the Irish for Ireland but you are writing in English. Well, sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

When people dismiss one's concerns, no wonder things remain bad.

I meant to come back to this later yesterday but I was busy. Sorry.

Ultimately, things don't change if a) you point things out that are bad and b) just whinge about them. If you want them to change, the onus is also on you to make practical and concrete contributions to changing them. Anything else is a cop out and a whinge.

You can do this both on a small level - I volunteered time to help students, for example and I contribute to the RNLI and the mountain rescues. Or you can do it on a bigger level by setting up lobbying organisations, standing up and being counted. You could write to your elected representatives.

Whinging that other people are just not asking how high when you say jump means nothing will change. If you want change, you have to be the change you want to see.

TBH, I'm not sure you're the change I want to see in Ireland. But if you want my opinion, you could start by thinking about what sort of bus funding you want and either lobby for it, set up a campaign group, write to newspapers, write to politicians. I'm not convinced Shane Ross is a good start but you can also target your local representatives. You will get further not by saying "we are a failed state" but "here's how we can do things better".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I would love to hear what these people would say after a week in a moderately unpleasant country, if they are pessimistic enough to think Ireland is a failed state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I would love to hear what these people would say after a week in a moderately unpleasant country, if they are pessimistic enough to think Ireland is a failed state.

Needless to say, there are at least 100 countries much worse than Ireland but I think the excuse of someplace worse is used to not act on what is wrong. For example:

Ireland: at least we are not Greece.
    Greece: things are worse in Turkey.
    Turkey: Iran is poorer and has worse laws.
    Iran: we have peace unlike Iraq/Syria and our laws are not as bad as Saudi Arabia.
    Saudi Arabia: we are not a failed state like Iraq/Syria and North Korea is more repressive.
    North Korea: we are not dangerous to live in like Iraq/Syria.
    Iraq/Syria: we don't have as bad a situation as Somalia and we have oil.

Advertisement