Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record house prices "linked to more lax lending rules". Intent replaces negligence.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I personally think many are worried that their postal code will affect their job prospects, especially if they have the likes of D11, D13, D10, D12, D22 or D24 on their CV, compared to applicants with D4, D6, D14.

Employers in Dublin (especially in professional areas) tend to look very unfavourably on you in you have a non middle/upper middle class address.

So I guess paying the premium for the prestige of a food postal code pays back with excess over time.

Who puts their address on a CV nowadays? Do you put your date of birth and your leaving cert results too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I personally think many are worried that their postal code will affect their job prospects, especially if they have the likes of D11, D13, D10, D12, D22 or D24 on their CV, compared to applicants with D4, D6, D14.

Employers in Dublin (especially in professional areas) tend to look very unfavourably on you in you have a non middle/upper middle class address.

So I guess paying the premium for the prestige of a food postal code pays back with excess over time.

Are you living in the 1980s?

CVs should not include address, d.o.b., nor nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Buy in D5

I don't see what that would do to exempt me from the OP's ire...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

ixoy wrote: »
    That's what I did. I'm also close to the Howth Road, DART station, shops, etc. Perfectly possible to have these things within that budget.

In fairness it has started to pick up.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/11-briarfield-road-kilbarrack-dublin-5/3941934

However you go back a few streets it's cheaper and there are some real bargains in Artane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Really? Who even puts their full address on a CV anymore? Are you living in the 60's?

• Advertisement

I'd love to hear your advice to me then.

31 years old, engaged to be married, working in Dublin, living in a one bed apartment.

I want a secure home where I can raise a family in the coming years: What do you propose I do? Genuinely, if you have some good ideas, I'm all ears. Because the prospect of being locked into a 400k+ mortgage until I'm 66 for a shoebox on the outskirts of the county is not an appealing one, but I can't see what the alternative is?

Buy a house for less than 400k, it's not rocket science?

pilly wrote: »
    Buy a house for less than 400k, it's not rocket science?

Again, how would that exempt me from the OP's claim that I would be to blame for the current rise in house prices? The price and specific location of the house is not relevant here, simply buying at all in a part of the country where prices are rising would make you culpable under his claim. So what is the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

My advice to any family would be to buy a house that's much less expensive than 400k.
    Where's this then? Other that an area with anti-social issues. Because, you know, I might have a preference to raise my children in a safe area with decent schools.
    It may not be in a leafy suburb with the best schools but it's affordable and not likely to leave you in the ditch the next time a recession hits.
    Ah ok. So what you're saying is: sacrifice your children's education for cheaper housing? I'll take it then that you don't have children.

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather give my children a fighting chance in the next generation than deliberately make their lot harder.

Zulu wrote: »
    Where's this then? Other that an area with anti-social issues. Because, you know, I might have a preference to raise my children in a safe area with decent schools.

Dunno if I've mentioned D5 at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ah ok. So what you're saying is: sacrifice your children's education for cheaper housing? I'll take it then that you don't have children.

Thanks but no thanks. I'd rather give my children a fighting chance in the next generation than deliberately make their lot harder.

The way you go on you'd swear people were telling you to buy a house in Syria.

• Advertisement

Surely you mean South Turkey!

I've 3 children, thank you very much, I don't appreciate the insult. I brought them up on my own and purchased a house, they're all grown now and perfectly well rounded adults with excellent jobs and career prospects. The way children turn out is down to their parents not down to where they live.

It's your pure snobbery that pushing you to pay over 400k for a property and that's your choice but don't go complaining it's all the governments fault in 15 years time when you can't pay for it.

Dunno if I've mentioned D5 at all.
    Familiy home for less than 400K?
    So you'd be talking about??? Coolock/Edenmore, not Raheny/Clontarf I take it?

Comment of the week for me. :D:D:D:D:D

The hysteria people go into because they're told the facts of life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I'd love to hear your advice to me then.

31 years old, engaged to be married, working in Dublin, living in a one bed apartment.

I want a secure home where I can raise a family in the coming years: What do you propose I do?
    Move to some midland's town and commute.
    Buy a home in Dublin and rent a room.
    Buy and live on a cheap barge along a canal.
    Get a job down the country and move there.
    Ditch the girlfriend and move in with a widow with her own home.

Familiy home for less than 400K?
    So you'd be talking about??? Coolock/Edenmore, not Raheny/Clontarf I take it?

Kilbarrack within 300m of Houses in Foxfield costing 500K+. Schools are pretty good AFAIK but the older sprogs all seem to go to the (semi?)private schools around the place, probably as the parents have low/non-existant mortgages.

I've 3 children, thank you very much, I don't appreciate the insult.
    What was the insult? An assumption??
    I brought them up on my own and purchased a house, they're all grown now and perfectly well rounded adults with excellent jobs and career prospects. The way children turn out is down to their parents not down to where they live.
    So where a child is brought up has no bearing? Really?? None whats-so-ever???
    You're taking the piss.
    It's your pure snobbery
    :rolleyes: Yeah I'm a snob for not wanting to raise my children in O'Devaney Gardens. Fair play poster you with the interweb.
    that pushing you to pay over 400k for a property and that's your choice but don't go complaining it's all the governments fault in 15 years time when you can't pay for it.
    Well that's lovely from someone who managed to buy a house and raise their children in a time where property was sensibly priced.

Kilbarrack within 300m of Houses in Foxfield costing 500K+. Schools are pretty good AFAIK but the older sprogs all seem to go to the (semi?)private schools around the place, probably as the parents have low/non-existant mortgages.
    Kilbarrack wouldnt be the worst, but prices are rising there also. The price reflects the estate.

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Move to some midland's town and commute.
    Buy and live on a cheap barge along a canal.
    Get a job down the country and move there.
    Ditch the girlfriend and move in with a widow with her own home.

All solid options, and I appreciate the advice but

barneyshotinthehead.gif~c200

What was the insult? An assumption??

You're taking the piss.

:rolleyes: Yeah I'm a snob for not wanting to raise my children in O'Devaney Gardens. Fair play poster you with the interweb.

Well that's lovely from someone who managed to buy a house and raise their children in a time where property was sensibly priced.

I take it you've already paid over the odds for a house? :) Okay so, go you.

I'm not taking the piss out of anyone, simply stating a few home truths that people don't like to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I've read some nonsense on this forum in my time but this takes the biscuit. A person's address will never come into play.
    fiachr_a wrote: »

Your ability to rent a room is not going to come into play when you are applying for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/136-beauvale-park-artane-dublin-5/3861930 There are exclent schools in Artane and Rahney.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Funnily enough, my father came from O'Devaney gardens in the 1960s. He worked all his life. But while we lived in Dublin council estates throughout the 70s and most of the 80s, all he wanted to do was buy a house in a nice area, so mine and my siblings college and job chances would improve. He did eventually manage it and it was definately a big issue back then. These days I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I've 3 children, thank you very much, I don't appreciate the insult. I brought them up on my own and purchased a house, they're all grown now and perfectly well rounded adults with excellent jobs and career prospects. The way children turn out is down to their parents not down to where they live.

It's your pure snobbery that pushing you to pay over 400k for a property and that's your choice but don't go complaining it's all the governments fault in 15 years time when you can't pay for it.

When you bought your house Irish property prices were cheap.

Quote frankly if people are spending the guts of half a million euro on a house it should be a decent house in a good area. So should spending 300k.

It's government policy that has created the recent boom. It's fairly typical of relatively small minds to bring this back to the individual but while any economy is just a collection of individuals macro economic policy with regards to housing is set by governments and the central bank. If the government gives people tax breaks to buy houses in a time of limited supply then it's going to increase prices. That's what this thread is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

mariaalice wrote: »

There are good and bad parts of both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Put your name down for one of these social/affordable D4 properties that might be getting built on RTÉ's former lot if Sinn Fein get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

You're taking the piss.

Anecdotal evidence: I didn't grow up in Ireland and was raised by a single mom, piss poor and Ballymun was a Playground compared to the areas I grew up in (I had to move 7 times before I turned 18). Even though we had very little, my sister and I turned out as fairly decent adults. With like stable lives, education, jobs and these kind of things. Not that this would be your first choice for raising your kids in such a surrounding but I do feel there is a good bit of snobbery going on.
    We also only can afford to buy in a certain bracket; that requires compromises and creativity but we would never want to throw ourselves into horrendous debt where a slight change of circumstances could put us in a precarious position.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Fair example, but can I ask you, do you think 300k for 77meters square and BER e is good value? I don't.

LirW wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence: I didn't grow up in Ireland and was raised by a single mom, piss poor and Ballymun ... .
    You mistake me. I'm not saying you can't raise good people in a bad area, I'm saying even the dogs on the street wouldnt choose to do it if they could avoid it.

Add calling someone a snob for saying the same is pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fair example, but can I ask you, do you think 300k for 77meters square and BER e is good value? I don't.

Well it depends on what you think value but for example I would pick it over a large house with a long commute.

Advertisement