Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record house prices "linked to more lax lending rules". Intent replaces negligence.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Zulu wrote: »
    You mistake me. I'm not saying you can't raise good people in a bad area, I'm saying even the dogs on the street wouldnt choose to do it if they could avoid it.

Add calling someone a snob for saying the same is pathetic.

But there are very few areas that are so bad that its dangerous to bring up a family in them. I don't think its snobbery as such that make people reject an area although a lot of people are attracted to the yummy mummy life style if they have children. The vast majority just want to do the best for their family and believe rightly or wrongly that certain areas superior once you have children in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

mariaalice wrote: »
    Fair example, but can I ask you, do you think 300k for 77meters square and BER e is good value? I don't.

I had a colleague incredulously tell me that I could own a mansion in the countryside for the money I paid for my Dublin house.

I can stroll home from Grafton street in 20 mins. I'm happy to pay a premium so I never have to see the inside of some stuffy packed commuter train/bus.
    That's great value to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Im just struggling to think what job someone is going to reject you for living in Donaghmede:

Solicitor - Well Anto you live near our target demogrpahic, you're hired.
    Doctor - No one cares
    Banking - You've a first from Trinity in Finance and looking like a tosser, but uh oh sorry this persone from Griffith lives in Sydney Parade
    Graphic Designer - Sorry but we've hired someone from Sandymount who can't even use an etecher sketch.
    Accountant - I'm sat next to one's who wife is one and lives in Tallaght
    Software etc. Most of them wouldn't know Foxrock from Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Im just struggling to think what job someone is going to reject you for living in Donaghmede:

Doctor - No one cares
    Banking - You've a first from Trinity in Finance and looking like a tosser, but uh oh sorry this persone from Griffith lives in Sydney Parade
    Graphic Designer - Sorry but we've hired someone from Sandymount who can't even use an etecher sketch.

It doesn't happen these days, but it used to happen. Not defending the poster who brought it up, but until at least the early 90s it was a real issue. As some younger people say these days, it was a "Thing".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

But there are very few areas that are so bad that its dangerous to bring up a family in them..
    it doesn't need to be dangerous though does it? A parent wouldn't choose to raise there children (given the choice) where anti social behavior was common. Or where there was a problem with drugs. For example.

Apparently that makes a parent a snob, who deserves the present housing crisis.

• Advertisement

There are good and bad parts of both.

What about this then would that make you happy. This is getting a bit parochial:P

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/90-bayside-crescent-sutton-dublin-13/3862678

What about this then would that make you happy. This is getting a bit parochial:P

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/90-bayside-crescent-sutton-dublin-13/3862678
    Perfect for a couple. Not so for a couple with children.

I know someone who brought up 6 children in a house like that and gasp they all turned out fine went to university and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I'm not looking for a house. I have one. That seems OK. It still takes the wages of two people on about twice the median income or a single person on ~4 times.

Why is a thread that should be on macroeconomic policy getting personal and getting links to individual houses. Yes that house is OK but it would even more ok at <300k and it would be at that price if the government hadnt interfered with the market (and remember not everybody is a ftb who at least get tax breaks to offset the cost. Some people who were prudent and bought a cheap property years ago who now need to upsize, have to bear the full cost increase).

I know someone who brought up 6 children in a house like that and gasp they all turned out fine went to university and everything.

Yeah! I know someone who dumped all their children in a skip. They all grew up and turned out fine. Lets all do that then. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Why is a thread that should be on macroeconomic policy getting personal and getting links to individual houses. Yes that house is OK but it would even more ok at <300k and it would be at that price if the government hadnt interfered with the market ...
    Exactly! My mind is boggling.
    The government has stifled supply.
    And given FTB a deposit break.

To what end? To artificially drive up the market prices, so homeowners feel they're recovering their assets value, and -ve equity owners don't feel so bad. But it's bull****. And the only people benefiting are those who screwed us the last time, and are screwing us again.

Why would a couple with no kids need a 3bed house? That house is absolutely fine for a family with 2 kids.
    Unless you can afford better then that's what you put up with.

Why would a couple with no kids need a 3bed house? That house is absolutely fine for a family with 2 kids.
    Unless you can afford better then that's what you put up with.

Grew up in something smaller, no lasting ill-effects. It's on the cosy side but people need to be realistic about house size where space is constrained.

I'm thinking these thread titles should state that it's just about Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's government policy that has created the recent boom. It's fairly typical of relatively small minds to bring this back to the individual but while any economy is just a collection of individuals macro economic policy with regards to housing is set by governments and the central bank. If the government gives people tax breaks to buy houses in a time of limited supply then it's going to increase prices. That's what this thread is about.

And anyone who disagrees with the premise can't comment?

So the thread should be full of "yeah the government are bad" comments?

Zulu wrote:
    Ah ok. So what you're saying is: sacrifice your children's education for cheaper housing? I'll take it then that you don't have children.

Zulu wrote:
    Well that's lovely from someone who managed to buy a house and raise their children in a time where property was sensibly priced.

When you bought your house Irish property prices were cheap.

I love it how people make all sorts of assumptions about anyone who disagrees with the whole "government ruined my life" premise.

I bought my house in Tallaght (i know shock horror, how did I survive) as a single mother when it cost twice my substantial salary. I bought it because that's what I could afford.

Unbelievably my children are not heroine addicts or in prison despite this terrible handicap.

People need to get over this blaming the government for everything.

My whole point is that if no-one was paying over the odds for houses then the prices would come down.

pilly wrote: »

My whole point is that if no-one was paying over the odds for houses then the prices would come down.
    Brilliant! Of course you are right, if no one wanted to buy a house the value would drop.

Sadly however, lots of people want to buy a house. So the value isn't dropping.
    Also the supply is being stifled. So the value isn't dropping.
    Also rent is crazy. So the value isn't dropping.

So let's apply your advice. We all just don't buy, and continue at the mercy of renting.
    House prices drop right?
    And builders will continue building now there's no demand, right?

Brilliant! Of course you are right, if no one wanted to buy a house the value would drop.

Sadly however, lots of people want to buy a house. So the value isn't dropping.
    Also the supply is being stifled. So the value isn't dropping.
    Also rent is crazy. So the value isn't dropping.

So let's apply your advice. We all just don't buy, and continue at the mercy of renting.
    House prices drop right?
    And builders will continue building now there's no demand, right?

I never suggested people don't buy, I suggested they don't buy for ridiculous prices. Big difference.

I love it how people make all sorts of assumptions ...
    You mean like how it's snobby to have a preference to raise your children in more desirable area? Or to think that a 77meter BER E for 300K is **** value?

It cuts both ways pilly.
    I never suggested people don't buy, I suggested they don't buy for ridiculous prices. Big difference.
    Please explain the difference in practical terms.

House values are rising at an alarming rate.
    I presently have a child starting school in September and am renting.
    I wish to provide a stable home for my family and will be in a position to buy later this year.
    I'm 40.

So your advice to me is not to buy at ridiculous prices. Fair enough. Explain how I do that. (Bearing in mind the "big difference" between not buying and not buying at a ridiculous price.

• Advertisement

People need to get over this blaming the government for everything.

I blame the government for the areas that they're responsible for.

I blame the government for a succession of different taxes and charges, and the extremely little return for those taxes. It would be nice if I got some bang for my buck.

I blame the government for the bringing in of Travellers into the estate, which lowered the overall prices (my housing estimate dropped 18% in value, Yay!) for the neighbouring houses, and the crime that skyrocketed in the immediate area (until they were arrested and expelled, although there's a new group now in). [Especially since there is another estate nearby that's completely owned/operated by the govt and empty.]

I don't blame the government for my choices. My decisions. And my own stupidity. That seems reasonable.

Unlikely. Prices are going up because of speculators and people buying/selling for investments. Prices are staying kinda low or steady in the countryside because there's no real demand by those looking for a quick euro. (there are houses with high prices but they're just staying on the market for months without being sold)

I'm thinking these thread titles should state that it's just about Dublin.

If someone from 'da country' want to contribute, no one is stopping them. I hear the situation in Cork and Galway is getting bad too. (An affecting literally dozens of people :pac:) Please take that in the way it was intended, joking aside it's got beyond Dublin.

Zulu wrote:
    So your advice to me is not to buy at ridiculous prices. Fair enough. Explain how I do that. (Bearing in mind the "big difference" between not buying and not buying at a ridiculous price.

You buy what you can afford. I don't know how that's complicated.??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I don't think you have a grasp of the subject to be honest. I'm not being smart but you just don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Doctor - No one cares

Donaghmede must be one of the northside's best kept secrets, reasonably priced semi-s and terraced-s next or near by it's own DART station, shopping centre, schools etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Unlikely. Prices are going up because of speculators and people buying/selling for investments.
    Wait 'till Brexit kicks off, JP Morgan are bringing 1000 staff here. Those bankers won't be living in crap towns in Longford and commuting each morning. Young ordinary working Irish will have to move there, and they can't complain about local Travellers either.

You buy what you can afford.
    People can evidently afford the prices they are paying (at least presently).

Buying "what you can afford" isn't solving the problem, it's driving more and more people out.
    This is compounded by the government relaxing deposit rules for FTBs, and relaxing salary multipliers.
    I don't know how that's complicated.??
    Clearly.

railer201 wrote: »
    Donaghmede must be one of the northside's best kept secrets, reasonably priced semi-s and terraced-s next or near by it's own DART station, shopping centre, schools etc.

Please don't take my post as any disrespect to that area. I live just over from it and love the area. It was just the first place in D13 that sprang to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Please don't take my post as any disrespect to that area. I live just over from it and love the area. It was just the first place in D13 that sprang to mind.

No worries I don't, I live over from it myself as it happens. I just think the general 'down' some people have about the place emanates from a sense of misplaced snobbery.

A drive around Donaghmede estate, between it's DART station, Dunnes SC and over to Blunden drive will show anyone interested in purchasing a property there, what a quiet settled and well kept estate this is.

• Advertisement

People can evidently afford the prices they are paying (at least presently).

Buying "what you can afford" isn't solving the problem, it's driving more and more people out.
    This is compounded by the government relaxing deposit rules for FTBs, and relaxing salary multipliers.

Clearly.

And I'm accused of not having a grasp of this situation?

The government has not relaxed deposit rules or salary multipliers.

Central Bank relaxed salary multipliers, this is not the government.

FTB's get a grant. Which half the posters on this thread would have been crying for this time last year. So the government can't win.

The only way the government is partly to blame for the current situation is because it halted building social housing many years ago which was totally irresponsible.

What I and others are merely pointing out on this thread is that grown ups can't always go around complaining that everything is the governments fault because they can't have exactly what they want.

What are your suggestions as to the solution? As you say, you'll be ready to buy this year so you have to deal with the reality of the situation either way. So what's the solution?

Some people are simply more solution focused and that's how I look at every problem.

Advertisement