Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record house prices "linked to more lax lending rules". Intent replaces negligence.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There's another way to incentivise builders to start building, that doesn't involve driving up prices and screwing over large swathes of the populace. But I've never heard anyone suggest it, so maybe someone can explain to me why this wouldn't work?

Any residential property, or land zoned for residential, that is either left undeveloped or without an occupant, should be taxed to the gills.

There is a lot of farm land zoned for houses. Some of it in areas where houses aren't wanted.

What if my house is in an area zoned for houses and I've a two acre field that I keep a donkey or a few sheep in. Will I be taxed?

Your idea isn't quite as simple as it sounds.

And besides, no matter what tax is in place, if it's uneconomic to build houses, then builders won't build.

Advertisement