Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had a bad one this morning. Approaching Howth summit from the Sutton side, rounding a bend slowly ~20km/h or so at a guess and I was almost clipped by a woman in a Nissan jeepy thing with the kids in back. She attempted the overtake with oncoming traffic and swerved in on me in the process. I don't think my rear camera was working, and I'll have to see the status of the front. Scary stuff, but it was so unexpected and it was over quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Emergency services and what seemed to be a bicycle crushed underneath the front of a 52 seater bus on the North Quays this evening. An ambulance was leaving upon arrival. Several close passes afterwards, as well as being tailgated and roared at for moving off too slowly at lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Emergency services and what seemed to be a bicycle crushed underneath the front of a 52 seater bus on the North Quays this evening. An ambulance was leaving upon arrival.

Somewhere around here?

https://twitter.com/Cianmm/status/1010085882152529921

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Yes, on the bridge to the right heading toward Liberty Hall from the south quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Yesterday morning. Only missed me because I hit the windows twice really hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,820 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

That blood on the ground as well doesn't look good, hopefully the cyclist didnt sustain injuries that will last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,661 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What coach company is that?
    http://linburg.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

twinsen wrote: »
    **** that! Don't go up the inside of a large vehicle like that, there be dragons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

**** that! Don't go up the inside of a large vehicle like that, there be dragons.

Totally agree. I know the bus stops on my route and would never go up the inside of bus knowing I'm approaching a bus stop.

It looks like here that bus was not pulling into a bus stop at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

micar wrote: »
    Totally agree. I know the bus stops on my route and would never go up the inside of bus knowing I'm approaching a bus stop.

It look that bus was not pulling into a bus stop at all.

I was just cycling in the "cycle" lane, which he shouldn't cross, also started turning and indicating while I was in the middle of the bus, never checked the mirror. He knew he f*cked up as he apologised when I got to the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I was just cycling in the "cycle" lane, which he shouldn't cross, also started turning and indicating while I was in the middle of the bus, never checked the mirror. He knew he f*cked up as he apologised when I got to the front.

You both ****ed up. But only one of you risked your own life.

As often said here no point being in the right and dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your roadcraft is useless bud. Use this as a learning experience. Thats a move I'd expect from a Dublin Bike newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

He had already crossed the cycle track line before you started overtaking on the left. Dangerous move at too fast a speed. If I made such a mistake and realised I would stop dead at that point and let the bus go - continuing to cycle up the left at that stage is suicidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I did similar cycling about 12 years ago, first time cycling in town. I never made that mistake again... Never pass large vehicles on the left, overtake them properly on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mloc123 wrote: »
    ... Never pass large vehicles on the left, overtake them properly on the outside.

+1

I know I mentioned it before but I was at one of the Dublin bus "awareness initives" where you can sit in the driver's seat. Where the cyclist was is completely blind to the driver. That and that is a very busy stop.

The funnier variation on the video is sitting downstairs and watching someone run along the bus as the doors close then berating the driver for not waiting. If running for the bus, run along 2m away and they might see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

White Qashqai illegally pulled into the bus lane approaching Harolds Cross this from Kimmage side. I was well into the left but they still managed to squeeze me.

I haven't seen a garda pulling cars in the bus lane in there for a while now.

I politely told them to use their mirrors. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

White Qashqai illegally pulled into the bus lane approaching Harolds Cross this from Kimmage side. I was well into the left but they still managed to squeeze me.

I haven't seen a garda pulling cars in the bus lane in there for a while now.

I politely told them to use their mirrors. :D

If ever there was a place for plastic wands the length of a bus lane, such a sh*tshow of a road from the park to the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gmacww

If ever there was a place for plastic wands the length of a bus lane, such a sh*tshow of a road from the park to the canal.

It's not a 24hr bus lane though it's only active from 7am. So up to that point it's fair game for cars so wands are not ideal in that situation. That being said I do cycle that way every day and regardless of the time, yes it's a complete mess. Strangely if I'm in the car I find it faster to get over the bridge if I stay in the right lane. Two many cars in the left/bus lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gmacww wrote: »
    It's not a 24hr bus lane though it's only active from 7am. So up to that point it's fair game for cars so wands are not ideal in that situation. That being said I do cycle that way every day and regardless of the time, yes it's a complete mess. Strangely if I'm in the car I find it faster to get over the bridge if I stay in the right lane. Two many cars in the left/bus lane.

Can anyone explain the logic of non 24 hour bus lanes? They are bus lanes during rush hour, but outside of peak times, traffic isn't busy enough to warrant their use, so it is a pointless difference. There are parts of the N11 that flit between timed and 24hour, awfully stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

gmacww wrote: »

Good point but in reality it should just be a 24hr bus lane.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the logic of non 24 hour bus lanes? They are bus lanes during rush hour, but outside of peak times, traffic isn't busy enough to warrant their use, so it is a pointless difference. There are parts of the N11 that flit between timed and 24hour, awfully stupid.

Yeah seems a lot of people dont realise you're supposed to drive in them out of hours but, like cycle tracks, it doesnt make sense they're only in use at certain times. Cycling through Ranelagh or Rathmines out of hours is stressful when the cycle lane is covered in parked cars.

Then there are "Bus lane not in use" signs in some places (around dundrum is one) where they've built them but dont use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its the same with cycle lanes.

If you allow an inch people take a mile. A clear never is much better and would negate the need for BusConnects.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Then there are "Bus lane not in use" signs in some places (around dundrum is one) where they've built them but dont use them.

I actually agree with the bus lane not in use signs from dundrum towards the m50 because the way the lanes join the roundabouts there is stupid and it would be a complete shambles otherwise. It's not often I agree with letting cars have more road!

As for Ranelagh and Rathmines the guards should be out shooting fish in a barrel there all day every day.

We really to have the law tightened on what double yellows and cycle lanes actually represent. I believe it's currently legal to load and unload on double yellows for up to 30 minutes. Huge swathes of Dublin should be covered in double red lines like the UK has to really clarify that there's no stopping there.

Hatch markings are completely ignored. Mandatory cycle lanes and advanced stop boxes don't exist to most drivers. Yellow boxes the same. Most drivers care so little that they genuinely don't even register those road markings. One short campaign of ruthless enforcement would go a long way and would be cost neutral for the guards, or likely a great money maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The logic, fwiw, on the N11 is the 24 hour section was a change of use from hard shoulder to bus lane, and that's why it's 24 hour. Where as further in it was always bus lane. Doesn't make sense to me, but i believe that is the reasoning. I think there was some road near the airport that was constantly questioned as to why it had a bus lane, and no active bus routes, and that was also the same reasoning.

Another reason to go 24 hours the whole way in is that 7am is too late in the peak traffic winter months, on the N11 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

maybe BusConnects will sort these anomalies out, if it ever happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

1850 during college term is crazy on the N11 as one in three cars start to swing in, it is pointless and stupid.

There should be no reasoning, they are all 24hours, simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

ED E wrote: »
    Its the same with cycle lanes.

If you allow an inch people take a mile.

On this, I was in Howth yesterday and counted 33 cars parked in the cycle lane on the way into the village.

Apparently it's ok once it's sunny...... :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement