Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE want to double TV licence fee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

Absolutely ridiculous idea. No way anyone will pay that much.
    the crowds that will march will put the anti iw march numbers to shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Pretty sure the last thing I ever watched fron rte was the late late toy show, and It was with gay byrne.

Why the feck would I pay more so something so worthless

Can you still buy the RTE guide?
    That's a ridiculous waste of money if it's still being published.
    you have answered your own question

Ok so now we have gotten to the crux of the matter.

Since time immemorial the threat of being caught without a TV Licence was emphasised whether it be "the TV detector van" or that moronic "...better way to blow €1000 than..."
    there is a culture of evasion in this context.

The 265,000 tv consumers who won't pay for a paltry €3.075 a week (16% of Television owners) are directly responsible for this situation.
    i think you will find it is any other thing that you think to mention bar whats posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    She wants to add it to electricity bills to catch avoiders. What happens with people like me who genuinely don't have a tv?

That is a TERRIBLE idea. You'd just push vulnerable households into energy poverty to fund RTE's inability to cut back on bloat and grandiosity!

Here's how I would set it up:

1) RTE News / Current Affairs - gets a proper budget from the licence fee and that's ring fenced and not used for anything else and free from any kind of government interference / influence.

RTE One would carry this content.

2) The rest of the licence fee goes into a production commissioning company that would basically commission programming that is not possible to do commercially and has a public service remit. This could include arts, culture, non-mainstream sport, music, and so on.

This would also be carried on RTE One.

RTE 2 would be commercial and expected to turn a profit. If it doesn't, it would be put out to tender to someone else to run it correctly.

TG4 remains as-is.

RTE Radio.

Radio 1 - More public service focused content, less middle-of-the-road light entertainment.

2FM - Sold off.

Lyric FM - Keep as is - but market it more effectively. Most people don't even know it's there I suspect.

RTE DAB channels - If not commercially viable at this stage, pull the plug immediately. The 5 listeners can't protest that much.

----

Make much more effort to get content online and working smoothly. That player is really not great.
    Maybe get Google on board to get RTE Player hosted on YouTube or something like that. I'm sure a deal like that could be achieved.

Big salary chasing should be left up to RTE 2 and TV3 etc. No public service money should be going on keeping high-paid celebs. If they're that high paid, the public service can't afford them and should be nurturing new talent anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

As an existing licence payer, why can't i have a detailed breakdown of year end accounts in a timely manner. This would be broken down by segment eg sports, arts, current affairs. Then each segment gets further broken down eg sports into GAA, Rugby, Soccer etc. This would give people an idea where their hard earned is going.
    There should also be a breakdown of the accounts by media eg TV, Radio, online. Then a further drilldown by station. Whatever about value for money, we are being denied even fairly limited transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭cnoc

Lt Dan wrote: »
    So, what is the purpose of Ryle Nugent then if Rugby goes to TV3?

They also lost out to TV3 for Cheltenham.

murpho999 wrote: »
    So over the last year, nothing that happened in news or sport made you watch RTE?
    no, i have internet on my fone, a roku2 from my fone, a dodgy box again from my cheapo chinese fone

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

And what does the 'Saor' in Saorview mean again ??? Free my ar$e ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anybody know what the budget is for dancing with the so-called stars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I pay my TV licence each year, but I don't do it with a glad heart- I think the current rate is expensive enough as it is and while I had no great issue with paying for water I would be vehemently opposed to any proposed increase or hike in the current TV licence fee. As a household (in common with many I suspect) our cost of living has risen considerably in recent years (rising motoring costs, insurance premiums, energy costs (that blasted carbon tax) etc) and as ordinary PAYE workers there's very little you can do to offset these rising costs. Much of the increase in the cost of living (IMHO) is driven directly or indirectly by poor government. If RTE are in trouble they need to manage their finances better, not reach out and look for more from the hard pressed taxpayers.

I watch very little TV and mostly other channels when I do. I don't like to see good money wasted on drivel like "Celebrity Come Dancing whater" or "Wee Daniel's B&B beano" etc. RTE do some things very well- their current affairs, sports coverage and culture (especially Irish music) etc. I don't listen to any of their radio content except for Lyric (which is a fine station, and I enjoy listening at weekends). I don't think RTE can be made any better just by throwing more money at it, if that were the case we'd have the finest health system in the world! The recession may be over in Dublin but the rising tide has yet to lift a lot of boats outside the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sloanm

So over the last year, nothing that happened in news or sport made you watch RTE?

Nope. I tune in to BBC/The Guardian/Newstalk for my fix of news and reddit sorts me out for sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

murpho999 wrote: »

Smile while you get shafted and yes more please or else youre a liar , seems to be your argument. Where would that type of argument get you with anyone on this thread ? Wise up.

People are too time poor to be sitting around on their arses being force fed propaganda. My spare time is spent in the gym or connecting with friends,
    I watched our MMA Champ McGregor on the internet. Everything is on the internet .
    All breaking news gets to the internet first and thats where I always see it first. RTE often never covers an important story at all. Not at all.
    I learned about the Cologne New Years Eve rapes on the internet.
    I learned the truth about President Trump on the internet and about the corruption of Hillary Clinton, about the Clinton Foundation , and about the EU failing always to balance their budget , Le Pen , Wilders , Merkel , and so on.

RTE continues to censor current scandals in the same way it never exposed Charles Haughey until he had one foot in a coffin. And it genuflected to the child abusers in the church and kissed their rings. I dont' expect change decades later [in some cases over 60 years later] from that incestuous organization therefore I demand it liquidates. Ireland lacks investigate journalism and RTE does not impartially and independently provide them despite being funded by so much public money for so long. The public interest is not served by RTE.
    I learned about the IMF coming to Ireland on the internet . It wasnt on RTE. RTE had a news story at 6 pm back then about a potato farmer ''entrepreneur''. Good thing there was plenty of manure from RTE to help this businessman out.

My daughter watches all her favorite shows streamed from the kids version of YouTube and other child friendly restricted areas.

Do you really think anyone has time these days to sit around while a bunch of overpaid professional liars waffle on about their personal opinions as though their opinions were more important than anyone elses ?

The future of media is interactive with huge dollops of libertarian free speech which treats its audience as adults instead of as commodities and subjects. The only channel I would pay for without much ill feeling is TnG even though I dont' watch that one either but thats just my conservative streak and because a much slimmed down Public TV service consisting of only TnG wouldnt cost hardly anything to run. When conservatives are telling you to go sling your hook , then RTE you're in deep deep trouble.

Let me add in also that the smarter more thoughtful section of the population wont be sitting around being force fed propaganda any longer thanks to the internet. We are far too smart to plan our lives around the restricted timetable set out by RTE, its braindead British soap operas and full on censorship against the public interest. Neither do we wish to support this ''everyone without a TV is guilty'' nonsense.

BY the way. If I want to watch RTE I can watch it on the internet without being legally liable to pay for it. I never do. I havent. Nobody in my household does. Our Irishness comes from our location , our connections, interacting with our neighbours , friends and wider society in general - the way Irishness was for thousands of years before the invention of RTE and its' carefully picked propaganda audiences . RTE doth protest too much. It's irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭billyhead

Why should I pay more to fund the exorbitant wages of clowns like Ryan Tubridy, Ray Darcy and Marion Finucane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Doesn't bother me, don't have a TV as I'd rather waste my life reading books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Not a hope I'd pay it.

Apart from news/current affairs and sports coverage RTE has literally nothing in its schedules to interest me.
    It's mostly wall to wall reality tv muck that is typical of commercial tv. Much of their listings is indecipherable from shíte like ITV. How many bloody cooking shows are they running these days?

At least for your license fee in the UK, you get plenty of decent programming on BBC1 and 2 not to mention a high quality channel like BBC4. Fair enough, they don't have the same financial muscle, but when have they ever just comissioned one RTE "star" to make a documentary about something of national interest which wasnt 1916 related or related to the economy. They are supposed to be a public service broadcaster so surely there should be some niche programming in there which won't necessarily be huge ratings winners? Yet all I see are shows being comissioned which are appealing to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to get big viewership. Dancing with the fúcking stars!
    This is what they need €320 PA for? Fúck right off.

Bet there won't be any street protests over this even though most water bills were cheaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

railer201 wrote: »
    And what does the 'Saor' in Saorview mean again ??? Free my ar$e ;)

Typo "daorview"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

No one to do with RTE should be getting more than €100,000 a year. If they think their worth more then move to the UK or some other channel who will pay you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The big thing that I think would be missed were the license fee to go is the investigative journalism. Perhaps a private entity would pick up the slack but I doubt it; journalism is really struggling at the moment and is vital to a healthy democracy in my opinion.
    This post had been deleted.

Correct. I have an iMac and no TV and don't pay a license fee as a result.

I cannot understand the number of people in this thread who say they don't watch TV anymore but still have television sets; what for?
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I agree with you about bloated salaries for the stars but a lot of those benefits seem pretty standard for a large organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Earthhorse wrote:
    I cannot understand the number of people in this thread who say they don't watch TV anymore but still have television sets; what for?

You can easily root devices to tv, I use a firestick for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me, don't have a TV as I'd rather waste my life reading books.

You might have no choice in the matter. RTE want the fee attached to utility bills; as they don't believe there are people that don't consume their product

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

You might have no choice in the matter. RTE want the fee attached to utility bills; as they don't believe there are people that don't consume their product

The broadcasting tax has been shelved and won't be returning in the near future.

What happened the so called broadcasting charge??
    What happened to the new channel that was to screen Irish movies all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

bladespin wrote: »
    You can easily root devices to tv, I use a firestick for example.

Sure but you then have to pay a TV license for having a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The broadcasting tax has been shelved and won't be returning in the near future.

I know it's been shelved, but Dee Forbes put it back on the agenda today. This is RTE preferred method of collection and they will push for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

If they're that loss making, they're clearly not charging enough for their advertising slots.
    Tossers.
    There's nothing on rte that isn't available or better elsewhere. I don't even watch the 6 nations on rte cos of that tosspot ryle nugent not having a fcuking breeze what he's talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭skankkuvhima

Earthhorse wrote: »
    The big thing that I think would be missed were the license fee to go is the investigative journalism. Perhaps a private entity would pick up the slack but I doubt it; journalism is really struggling at the moment and is vital to a healthy democracy in my opinion.

Correct. I have an iMac and no TV and don't pay a license fee as a result.

I agree with you about bloated salaries for the stars but a lot of those benefits seem pretty standard for a large organisation.

You think

On-site professional childcare facilities
    Credit Union on-site
    squash courts and fitness classes

Are standard?

I have worked for some of the largest tech companies in the world and none have had squash courts or on-site childcare or a credit union

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

However, after said media storm, Forbes has clarified what she meant, telling independent.ie: "What I was saying was that the licence fee here in Ireland is incredible value at 40 cent a day. The breadth of value and programming of everything that goes out from RTÉ every day for 40 cent a day is incredible. A cup of coffee here in the canteen is €1.60...

"What I was saying was that it’s good value - it is more in other markets - it was really around value…

"If it was doubled, would it be good value? Of course it would! But I’m not for one minute calling for a doubling of a licence fee because it’s not practical."

That, our dear friends, is the sound of someone digging up.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Everybody-relax-you-wont-have-to-pay-double-for-your-TV-license-fee/391629.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

kenmc wrote: »
    If they're that loss making, they're clearly not charging enough for their advertising slots.
    Tossers.
    There's nothing on rte that isn't available or better elsewhere. I don't even watch the 6 nations on rte cos of that tosspot ryle nugent not having a fcuking breeze what he's talking about

TV stations, not just RTE are charging as much as they can in a market where more and more advertisers are moving to various online services. Online/internet based advertising is not only catching on but makes much more sense for a company to advertise to their target audience via the likes of Facebook and Youtube for a fraction of the price they would have to pay for a TV spot. Newpapers and magazines have been really feeling this pinch for years and TV had got to be taking a big hit by now.

Advertisement