Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most holy thing/person/incident you've encountered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

I heard an atheist talk about religion once. I know he was an atheist because he told me so. He couldn't explain his obsession with religion.

You've lost me. What made you think he was obsessed with religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ReefBreak wrote: »
    So I was working some time ago in a civil service office, and I was in the middle of a discussion with a slightly older lady. I was mid-sentence, and for some reason out of nowhere she bowed her head and started mumbling. Confused, my voice trailed off and I realised that the clock had just turned 12, and she was reciting the angelus.

In my head: "Seriously? You're actually doing this?"

When she'd finished, "...ok, so, as I was saying".

Anyone out there ever experience such old-school Irish religious shenanigans recently?

Frequently, it's attention seeking piety as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't dwell too heavily on it though, as mentioning it to them is just giving those types of people what they want - attention.

There's quite a difference between personal and private devotion to matters of faith, and public delusion that anyone else should give a damn for pious displays of religious devotion. I've known just as many of both types of people, and have far more time for the former than the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw a house with a huge cross outside it. I thought to myself "some madman's put up a cross"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

...force of habit...

Was that a very clever nun pun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

ReefBreak wrote: »
    I'm honestly not 100% sure that Graces7 isn't a wind-up merchant.

Ah begorrah Janie Mac no, she's an 80yr old living the pég life up the mountains with her few lambs not doin no man no harm,, posting in ah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

There's a guy in Galway who stands around on Shop St. with a dead look in his eyes as he hands out pamphlets for his Born Again nonsense. I know him personally, as he used to go the same fellowship as my parents. Basically his whole social life revolves around talking about the bible. ****ing irritating little man. Even my parents, who are highly religious pretend to be out when he calls around uninvited.

There is another nut who takes the same bus as me - another born again one - she is obviously a bit touched in the head too, and she starts talking to random people on the bus about her faith. I remember around the time of the Equality Referendum she was telling passengers on-board why she was voting against it - though nobody had asked. One poor girl who was sat beside her, politely smiled as this bigoted twat went on to tell her about all the protests her and her church were organising. Last time she was on the bus, she was telling anyone who would listen, that she was off to Germany to take part in some Christian protest against human rights or something. I only pray her plane crashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

There's a guy in Galway who stands around on Shop St. with a dead look in his eyes as he hands out pamphlets for his Born Again nonsense. I know him personally, as he used to go the same fellowship as my parents. Basically his whole social life revolves around talking about the bible. ****ing irritating little man. Even my parents, who are highly religious pretend to be out when he calls around uninvited.

There is another nut who takes the same bus as me - another born again one - she is obviously a bit touched in the head too, and she starts talking to random people on the bus about her faith. I remember around the time of the Equality Referendum she was telling passengers on-board why she was voting against it - though nobody had asked. One poor girl who was sat beside her, politely smiled as this bigoted twat went on to tell her about all the protests her and her church were organising. Last time she was on the bus, she was telling anyone who would listen, that she was off to Germany to take part in some Christian protest against human rights or something. I only pray her plane crashed.

A "right on" post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

OP, stupidly named thread. Holy does not equate to religious.
    I was expecting a thread of wonderful, beautiful humane moments that caught Boardsies by surprise; not simply an event that, though unusual, says as much about you as it does about the old lady. We live in a Republic; you're a civil servant. You need to live the code.
    Interesting yes. Holy? NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

If you wanted holy, you could have rented this gaff on the Naas Road in Inchicore back in 2012:
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/04/03/yes-thats-mother-teresa/

There's also a big mural of a white horse on the side of the house (I used to pass it every day on my commute).

An Ri rua wrote: »
    OP, stupidly named thread. Holy does not equate to religious.
    Interesting yes. Holy? NO
    Fair enough, the most "religious" thing/person/incident you've encountered. The word "holy" suggests something that has magical powers, which is obviously rubbish.
    We live in a Republic; you're a civil servant. You need to live the code.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. (Though I'm not a civil servant, I'm self-employed).

• Advertisement

ReefBreak wrote:
    Fair enough, the most "religious" thing/person/incident you've encountered. The word "holy" suggests something that has magical powers, which is obviously rubbish.

Your command of English is brutal.

Holy does not mean magical....

Your command of English is brutal.

Holy does not mean magical....

Would you ever leave him/her off?

ReefBreak wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. (Though I'm not a civil servant, I'm self-employed).

I stand corrected. You WERE a civil servant. Did you forget??
    There's almost always a code of practice that instructs you how to treat people. Even without that, a public service ethos is something you should bring. Granted, many don't exhibit it. Lots do though.
    In my mind, the elderly lady might have been best to wait before conducting her business with you. But firstly she's elderly and secondly you were a civil servant. It brings responsibilities.

Holy is holy though. Not magic, not religious, not Moley. But holy

Holy is bollox. Its something small minded people need to project to feel good about themselves while looking down on others.

D0NNELLY wrote:

D0NNELLY wrote:

Yes Mod. Sorry

Yes Mod. Sorry

dont have to be a mod to see your picking through his/her posts is bordering wierd at this stage. English 101 is thataway

D0NNELLY wrote:
    Holy is bollox. Its something small minded people need to project to feel good about themselves while looking down on others.

What thesaurus are you using? (A dictionary will explain what thesaurus means).

What thesaurus are you using? (A dictionary will explain what thesaurus means).

Word95 right click

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Word95 right click

Are you using a package that old for religious reasons? Its a relic. I feel with the material I had, I could have worded a brilliant pun here but something something coffee smoke time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

There's almost always a code of practice that instructs you how to treat people. Even without that, a public service ethos is something you should bring. Granted, many don't exhibit it. Lots do though.
    In my mind, the elderly lady might have been best to wait before conducting her business with you. But firstly she's elderly and secondly you were a civil servant. It brings responsibilities.

A quick google of the word magic gives you "the power of apparently influencing events by using mysterious or supernatural forces"

Definition of Holy:"dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose"

Sounds like they're synonyms to me.

As for the civil service, code of conduct with the public etc. What's that got to do with anything? The civil service is not a religion.

• Advertisement

fizzypish wrote: »
    Are you using a package that old for religious reasons?
    My compaq was spunked upon from on high (priest missed my mouth and got the laptop).

His blessings have granted the battery eternal life.

Have to add a footnote for the more 'point and click' among us, (not you fizzy) that my little seanfhocail may or may not be true. It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but there was a politician running in NI a couple of years ago, Susan-Anne White. Her slogan was 'Biblically correct NOT Politically Correct'.

Here's her manifesto:
    susan-anne-white.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Arghus wrote: »
    Thought I spoke to God there for a while.

Turns out I was just mad!

Who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Boater123 wrote: »
    As for the civil service, code of conduct with the public etc. What's that got to do with anything? The civil service is not a religion.

I think the point being that they possibly should set the example and if its ok for that lady to zone out in a convo to perform a prayer then its ok for me in a meeting in my company to stop mid presentation, perform a religious act of some description and get away with it. I'm not fully on board with this but I see the point. If she zoned out in a convo with me, fair enough. I can bite my tongue if it annoys me. Does it in a meeting. Show her the door. If its done relatively privately and obstructively, let that sleeping dog lie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

osarusan wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but there was a politician running in NI a couple of years ago, Susan-Anne White. Her slogan was 'Biblically correct NOT Politically Correct'.

Here's her manifesto:
    <snip>

Wow, that sent shivers down my spine. Particularly because there was one point I would actually agree with her - punishment for animal cruelty. :eek:

Just to be clear, I was not a civil servant. The civil service hires a lot of contractors, temp staff, etc as well as actual civil servants.

I still don't understand what "holy" actually means. Unless there's something different about a "holy" item at an atomic or sub-atomic level, then I would suggest it means absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

fizzypish wrote: »
    I think the point being that they possibly should set the example and if its ok for that lady to zone out in a convo to perform a prayer then its ok for me in a meeting in my company to stop mid presentation, perform a religious act of some description and get away with it. I'm not fully on board with this but I see the point. If she zoned out in a convo with me, fair enough. I can bite my tongue if it annoys me. Does it in a meeting. Show her the door. If its done relatively privately and obstructively, let that sleeping dog lie.

I don't think I'll ever get what religious nuts fervents go on about, me being on this planet, them being on another. I just wish they would stop telling others how to live their lives

When An Rí Rá said "There's almost always a code of practice that instructs you how to treat people. Even without that, a public service ethos is something you should bring"

I thought they were suggesting the poster should live their lives outside of work by the code of conduct set down by the civil service, where the poster used to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

osarusan wrote: »

That is classic, I love her description of "Global warming fanatics and their pseudo-science" without a hint of irony in it :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

An Ri rua and D0NNELLY
    Leave it out with the back and forth jibes and get back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Was that a very clever nun pun?

well i'm delighted that somebody thinks i'm capable of being clever. You've made my day.

Advertisement