Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most holy thing/person/incident you've encountered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I lived next to a some Church/Prayer Room place when I first left college.
    Every Sunday morning my hangover was made worse by a shíthead on a guitar and 11 cats screeching women trying to sing.

Usually I had just left a house party a few hours previously where there had also been a shíthead on a guitar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Malari wrote: »
    I think the crossing yourself when you pass a church is more of a superstition, really, isn't it? Like that silly thing of waving at magpies that I see people doing :rolleyes:

Do you not tug your forelock when you see a single magpie?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Kim Kardashian. Very holey.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Do you not tug your forelock when you see a single magpie?

I usually chase them out of the garden, as I actually saw one take a house sparrow last week. Of course, if the cat was any good I wouldn't have to, but he appears to be an obsolete model at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Malari wrote: »
    I think the crossing yourself when you pass a church is more of a superstition, really, isn't it? Like that silly thing of waving at magpies that I see people doing :rolleyes:

I know AH is the home of facetious anti religious comments but in fairness, for those who believe, blessing oneself passing a church is respect for passing the tabernacle that holds the consecrated host. Call it superstition if you like but it's a harmless act of devotion and respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I know AH is the home of facetious anti religious comments but in fairness, for those who believe, blessing oneself passing a church is respect for passing the tabernacle that holds the consecrated host. Call it superstition if you like but it's a harmless act of devotion and respect.

Perhaps for you, but at least one acquaintance I've seen doing it has admitted they don't really know why, but it's just habit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I saw a TV show about the Holy Stone of Clonrichert

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

My friend (aged 24) crosses himself every time we pass a church or a priest on the street when I'm with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

my sister crosses herself at every ambulance or fire brigade that passes. It's harmless and I suppose it's nice to show concern for the sick/injured like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Glenstal abbey in co .Limerick heaven on earth .Fantastic holy part of Ireland and maybe the best. the monks there and the mass at 6 o clock is so holy and you have peace there no where beats this place to me so far in my life and its on our door step you will find peace there the monks and the stories the tell you and what the encountered .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I've met two Popes. Didn't know the shyte they were up to at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I recently spent seven months in a religious addiction treatment centre place, the program involved a mass and a rosary and two meditations every day! For seven months! (I don't feel much holier after it though!)

I actually loved the mass and meditations once I got used to them. Hated the rosaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

OP , this is so disrespectful you know.

I am not Irish, and praying the angelus is not "shenanigans", and yes I pray it and usually folk respect it. Happens in various places of course. Mumbling?

Actually, I think breaking into prayer while someone is speaking to you is far more disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Camera copped Zebo blessing himself before the start of the second half on Saturday. Thought it was a bit anachronistic.

I was recently at a funeral which had 9 priests celebrating the mass. Talk about storming heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

ReefBreak wrote: »
    I always wanted to be approached by Mormon/Evangelicals on the street just to have the craic with them regarding the whole existence (or otherwise) of God debate, but I always seem to just miss them.

If your happy at the end of the chat to just say fair enough without getting to involved go for it. Otherwise the fact that they believe that god is real and they have all the answers as surely as grass is green will get a bit annoying. Also, that look they have in their eyes is a bit disconcerting. Your having a discussion, they're trying to save you from an eternity of burning.

I suppose for me (a recent one too) it must be the woman in work who goes to mass on Ash Wednesday and leaves the ashes on all day long, as do many others.

I get the significance of the blessing with the ashes (sortof) but why leave them on your face all day? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I get the significance of the blessing with the ashes (sortof) but why leave them on your face all day? :confused:

You obviously DONT get the significance if you have to ask that.

The Holiest thing I encountered recently was Mass last Sunday. By definition, it is probably the Holiest thing you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

I suppose for me (a recent one too) it must be the woman in work who goes to mass on Ash Wednesday and leaves the ashes on all day long, as do many others.

To show off to others that they're more devoted than everybody else.

Overt shows of religious devotion from these religious sorts (no matter what religion) smack of pure arrogant narcissism to me.

An old one that I do some work for heard some tenant on a national radio show give out about her forthcoming eviction. She tracked the tenant down and cutting a long story short bought her a house to live in, at way below market rent. "because she is a good catholic who sends her 6 kids to mass and deserves a chance despite what everyone says about her" And believe me lots was said, and there was good reason for the eviction.

The holy Mary has told just about everyone she can about her "altruistic" deeds. I swear she did it because she thought she would get a mention on the radio show bringing her good deeds to national attention.

I asked her since how things were getting on, and surprise surprise there are no rent arrears. But then I found out the tenant "is behind a little" in the loan repayments for the money she lent the tenant since.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

I've met a ton of them in my life. I was brought up a Born Again Christian and I will never forget, when I was around 8, being dragged to a special evening sermon (you knew it was special 'cause it was a Wednesday evening instead of regular Sunday Prayers) where a special preacher was doing some wicked Derren Brown **** on members of the local congregation. So there he was speaking in tongues on the stage (alter) as people were called up to receive "JesussssS!!" into their hearts. Honestly, it was like a scene from Bedlam hospital; people were having fits - laughing like lunatics, or crying or some other outburst of pure emotion. A couple of them just fell to floor and started spasming like epileptics.

I remember just watching from the side of the room - totally freaked at it all.

It was just insane.

Even at that age, I knew there was some creepy ass happening going on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Two families on my road have built grottos to Our Lady in their front gardens.

And no, I don't live in Rathkeale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Kissed the bishops ring when I was a young fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yesterday I had one of those legendary 'clean wipes'.

Plop, plop, wipe. Not even a hint of a smear on the loo paper.

I have to say, it was a pretty spiritual experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

snowflaker wrote: »
    You can't really just drop everything, the polite thing would be to excuse yourself from the situation first

Most folk should know what Noon means and yes we can and do drop everything.. expecting some awareness... Polite on your part?

Thankfully I have been blessed with folk who respect this and have awareness.

ReefBreak wrote: »
    I disagree. I was in mid-sentence, which is why I would describe it as shenanigans. She could at least have waited 1 minute and then excused herself. And she was most definitely mumbling.

calling prayer shenanigans is sheer disrespect. Period. And no , noon is noon and Prayer comes first; always.

Paleblood wrote: »
    Actually, I think breaking into prayer while someone is speaking to you is far more disrespectful.

Well OK then, but we put God and prayer before anything else. Always.

As I said, thankfully I have never encountered the kind of attitude I am reading here in real life.

Thankfully! ;)

And I hope I never do.

Holiness.

One of the truly holiest things there is is the love of a mother or father for their baby.. often here in posts it shines through and reaches out with its purity and holiness.

Makes me smile in joy and thankfulness.

Because they are blessed and sacred is why. Simple. The ashes are made from the palm crosses from last year and blessed oil.

In the form of a cross on your head.

Not to be wiped off like dirt! Sacred and holy.

Same problem seen all through this thread. of a lack of understanding or awareness. Easy to mock then. ?

Off to pray! Back when ever...

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

Because they are blessed and sacred is why. Simple. The ashes are made from the palm crosses from last year and blessed oil.

In the form of a cross on your head.

Not to be wiped off like dirt! Sacred and holy.

Same problem seen all through this thread. of a lack of understanding or awareness. Easy to mock then. ?

People understand very well. I'm not bashing religion or religious practice because I'm uninterested in it.

You can't expect people who don't share your beliefs to hold your traditions in the same reverence as you do.

I'm sure there's quite a bit about Muslim practices that you're not completely in agreement with or understanding of. That's fine, it's not your thing.

Catholicism isn't everybody elses thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I met a fella in Castlebar with loads of patches on his clothes.
    He must have been pretty holy at some stage.

Advertisement