Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most holy thing/person/incident you've encountered

Options
  • 21-03-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

So I was working some time ago in a civil service office, and I was in the middle of a discussion with a slightly older lady. I was mid-sentence, and for some reason out of nowhere she bowed her head and started mumbling. Confused, my voice trailed off and I realised that the clock had just turned 12, and she was reciting the angelus.

In my head: "Seriously? You're actually doing this?"

When she'd finished, "...ok, so, as I was saying".

Anyone out there ever experience such old-school Irish religious shenanigans recently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I saw a heap of born again Christians parking up in a forest car park on Sunday.
    Couple of them started looking in my window I told em to **** off I'm shagging the missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Still see people blessing themselves on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

oneilla wrote: »
    Still see people blessing themselves on the bus

Not just older people either. Like, people my age and younger. I'm not Catholic so I never understood the whole blessing yourself thing but it's seems so weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought I spoke to God there for a while.

Turns out I was just mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I saw a born-again Christian get baptised once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

curtain netting

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I was passing a mosque the other day, and there were all these Muslims going into it! Weird stuff.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ReefBreak wrote: »
    So I was working some time ago in a civil service office, and I was in the middle of a discussion with a slightly older lady. I was mid-sentence, and for some reason out of nowhere she bowed her head and started mumbling. Confused, my voice trailed off and I realised that the clock had just turned 12, and she was reciting the angelus.

In my head: "Seriously? You're actually doing this?"

When she'd finished, "...ok, so, as I was saying".

Anyone out there ever experience such old-school Irish religious shenanigans recently?

OP , this is so disrespectful you know.

I am not Irish, and praying the angelus is not "shenanigans", and yes I pray it and usually folk respect it. Happens in various places of course. Mumbling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Got approached (was sitting on a wall enjoying the sun with the OH) by some Irish missionary (don't think they were recruiting for a standard church) and his sideshow bob esque (down to deranged look in his eyes) sidekick. They gave their pitch despite me saying I don't mind a chat but not interested in religious talk. He just plowed on though with talk of burning in hell while his side kick/personal pit bull looked ready to go for my throat every time I calmly interrupted him. They eventually left with what I can only describe as angry religious zealousness in their eyes as I didn't want to join. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Not just older people either. Like, people my age and younger. I'm not Catholic so I never understood the whole blessing yourself thing but it's seems so weird to me.
    I remember we had to bless ourselves at the start and the end of our prayers. But what happens if you don't bless yourself at the end of your prayers? Is it like logging off your PC? Does it time-out?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

I am not Irish, and praying the angelus is not "shenanigans", and yes I pray it and usually folk respect it. Happens in various places of course. Mumbling?

You can't really just drop everything, the polite thing would be to excuse yourself from the situation first

I remember we had to bless ourselves at the start and the end of our prayers. But what happens if you don't bless yourself at the end of your prayers? Is it like logging off your PC? Does it time-out?

If you touch your forehead continuously is that like a hard shut down?

Or is the forehead like cntrl, bellybutton, alt and shoulders del?

[/B]

I disagree. I was in mid-sentence, which is why I would describe it as shenanigans. She could at least have waited 1 minute and then excused herself. And she was most definitely mumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

You say "Amen".

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

I overheard someone say that the devil was putting bad thoughts in their head. More than a bit concerning tbh.

I saw a family of Muslims pulled over on the side of the road praying. Not really bothering anyone aside from a bit of rubbernecking...

You say "Amen".

Job done.

and with your spirit.... wtf! also with you ftw!

fizzypish wrote: »
    Got approached (was sitting on a wall enjoying the sun with the OH) by some Irish missionary (don't think they were recruiting for a standard church) and his sideshow bob esque (down to deranged look in his eyes) sidekick. They gave their pitch despite me saying I don't mind a chat but not interested in religious talk. He just plowed on though with talk of burning in hell while his side kick/personal pit bull looked ready to go for my throat every time I calmly interrupted him. They eventually left with what I can only describe as angry religious zealousness in their eyes as I didn't want to join. Good times.
    I always wanted to be approached by Mormon/Evangelicals on the street just to have the craic with them regarding the whole existence (or otherwise) of God debate, but I always seem to just miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

I heard an atheist talk about religion once. I know he was an atheist because he told me so. He couldn't explain his obsession with religion.

I heard an atheist talk about religion once. I know he was an atheist because he told me so. He couldn't explain his obsession with religion.
    Yeah, that's why there are so many Atheist Churches around. They're bleedin' everywhere!

I was sitting at wexford by the train line/Slaney on a bench, and this lady came and left a magazine called Lighthouse beside me.

I wasn't in great form at the time and just wanted some alone time. To her credit she didnt bother me.

Shame there was no review of Hook Head in her brochure

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's why there are so many Atheist Churches around. They're bleedin' everywhere!

those atheist call to logic bells are so annoying and intrusive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Why would atheists need churches?

I worked in a Muslim country during Ramadan, religious practice was common in casual conversations during it because it's effect on everyday life.

My Grandmother blesses herself whenever she passes a church in Ireland. Driving through the South of England with her a few years ago, I noticed she wasn't blessing herself. Her reason was that she couldn't be sure if some churches were Protestant or Catholic, and she felt the gesture would be wasted on the Protestants. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My mother. Too many to mention really but one that I'm reminded of is how tampons were banned in our house because using one would be a sin, endless decades of the rosary, no tv or anything fun on a Sunday, mass every day and sometimes twice. I actually think the woman has a mental illness, her religious fervour is bordering on mania.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

eviltwin wrote: »
    My mother. Too many to mention really but one that I'm reminded of is how tampons were banned in our house because using one would be a sin, endless decades of the rosary, no tv or anything fun on a Sunday, mass every day and sometimes twice. I actually think the woman has a mental illness, her religious fervour is bordering on mania.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think the crossing yourself when you pass a church is more of a superstition, really, isn't it? Like that silly thing of waving at magpies that I see people doing :rolleyes:

Vicariously the best one I can think of is when my friends and I took a few people back to my house for a house party. One of my friends hit it off quite sexually with one of the girls who came back and eventually disappeared into my spare room with her.

Passing the room later on the way to the jacks I passed the door which was ajar and the lights clearly off and all I heard was her voice going "oh god forgive me - oh god I am so sorry for sinning - oh god im so sorryyyyyy - oh god forgive me for these sins of the flesh" and on and on like that - and was still doing it when I passed a few minutes later on the way back.

When he surfaced again he looked terribly bewildered and put out. When I passed him later in the party when she was not near by I said "So had fun then?" - and he responded with something like "em yea was ok sure". I just said "AMEN to that!" and his face showed he knew damn well what I was on about. He did not use the phone number she gave him anyway.

I guess the worst one I encountered has to be my neighbour - ongoing - who I mentioned in another thread this week too. Basically he is exceptional in his hatred of sin - and my particular sins more than any - despite seemingly committing a few of his own including telescope spying on our garden when we are nude or nearly nude in it. My favourite is when I catch him mumbling latin and flinging holy water onto our land in some kind of cleansing ceremony for our souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I was mid-sentence, and for some reason out of nowhere she bowed her head and started mumbling.

Funny I was always taught interrupting someone mid sentence was disrespectful.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Funny I was always taught inter

PRAISE the lord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

[/B]

It tends to be mumbling alright. I've relatives in their 70's who do this. It's hard to make out what they're saying but they seem to be talking to someone in their head.

It's some repetitious stuff about how wonderfully awesome the guy in their head is, how crap and unworthy they themselves are and a bit of wish-making. It's pretty harmless stuff but it's a bit childish, in my opinion.

Advertisement