Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most holy thing/person/incident you've encountered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I have an aunt who is a Nun, lovely lady but just don't ever go on a car journey with her: it starts with "we'll have a prayer that we have a safe journey", then a few minutes of conversation that will usually involve the question "do I still go to mass", then the rosary will start. During the rosary, all sense of time is lost, I have no idea have we been saying this for 5 minutes or 5 days, eventually it'll end, normally just in the nick of time before I plunge the car of the nearest cliff.
    The jounery continues like this, some topic of discussion will come up involving someone who is sick or dieing, that of course leads to "sure we'll say a prayer for X's suffering", eventually we'll arrive at our destination "through God's grace", of course not my driving, it was God that got her where she needed to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I recently spent seven months in a religious addiction treatment centre place, the program involved a mass and a rosary and two meditations every day!

Mass, rosary and 2 meditations every day - that is a religious addiction :D

The missuses parents are uber holy - her mother has a schedule of all her upcoming church stuff on it - I added it up one week and it came to 40+ hours in a church.
    The fúcking priest doesn't do that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Most folk should know what Noon means and yes we can and do drop everything.. expecting some awareness... Polite on your part?

Politeness in the moment of conversation versus the other person having to be psychic and know that your strange, impolite and out of the ordinary behavior means something?

There is nothing polite about YOUR merely assuming everyone has to know your out of date, archaic, religious practices. Your "Should know what noon means" narrative is your own fantasy and nothing more. "Noon" means little more than the time. Candie above rightly points out that people may not "hold your traditions in the same reverence as you do" but I would go one further and point out there is no reason they should even be expected to KNOW what those traditions are, LET ALONE hold them in any such esteem.

Someone, as the OP describes, dropping their head and talking to themselves and no longer listening to you........ mid sentence in mid conversation........ is the person being impolite here. No one else.

If YOU know you can not honor your part in an adult conversation around 12 then YOU should take steps not to enter into a conversation at the relevant times. Just like, for example, no Muslim should be arranging to be in a business meeting that conflicts with his call to prayer, if (s)he adheres to one. Any Employee who walks out of a meeting THEY agreed to be in saying "I have to go pray now" should lose their job, simple as.

Whether it be the decorum of simple discourse and conversation, or the commitments of agreeing to be present in a meeting, keep your personal and private beliefs just that. Personal and Private.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

My mammy thinks I'm the son of God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

[/B]

OP , this is so disrespectful you know.

I am not Irish, and praying the angelus is not "shenanigans", and yes I pray it and usually folk respect it. Happens in various places of course. Mumbling?

why should anyone respect that nonsense?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Senna wrote: »
    I have an aunt who is a Nun, lovely lady but just don't ever go on a car journey with her: it starts with "we'll have a prayer that we have a safe journey", then a few minutes of conversation that will usually involve the question "do I still go to mass", then the rosary will start. During the rosary, all sense of time is lost, I have no idea have we been saying this for 5 minutes or 5 days, eventually it'll end, normally just in the nick of time before I plunge the car of the nearest cliff.
    The jounery continues like this, some topic of discussion will come up involving someone who is sick or dieing, that of course leads to "sure we'll say a prayer for X's suffering", eventually we'll arrive at our destination "through God's grace", of course not my driving, it was God that got her where she needed to go.

next time take your hands off the wheel and plant your foot on the accelerator and ask her "how good is gods driving now?".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Graces7 is ruining this thread with her ****e.

why should anyone respect that nonsense?!

good manners? Somebody else praying doesnt do you any harm, does it?

Indian kid, climbed up a rope that mysteriously stayed in the air unsupported, then he disappeared at the top. Real Hindu mystic stuff.

good manners? Somebody else praying doesnt do you any harm, does it?

Of course not. But ignoring someone mid conversation is pretty crass in and of itself. But painting the person who actually was ignored as somehow being the impolite or bad one for noticing and being put out by that crassness.... is certainly pretty egregious.

I love the rhetoric of "This is normal, and we put god first in everything". I somehow doubt, for example, the same person would have closed her eyes, dropped her chin to her chest, and started mumbling to herself has she been, for example, driving a car at the time. :D

• Advertisement

I remember reading a study where religious people were given MRI scans to monitor brain activity after being asked to press a button when they felt God or had religious thoughts.

The area of the brain that consistently lit up was the nucleus accumbens, the brains reward centre and the part of the brain that controls dopamine release. So religious addiction has the same affect on the brain as recreational drugs, or being in love, or being the recipient of good fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

What an apt username for that story :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I wouldn't take a flyer from a preacher on Henry Street once and he shouted after me that I would burn in hell. I really wish I had gone back to him.

A friend of mine saw an exorcism in that Croatian holy place, can't remember the name.

Posted this on another forum, seems to make sense to this thread too :)

My 3 year old son is getting a bit into something called "Dinotrux" from america (though he watches it here in German). Anyway he has been watching a few English episodes on You tube and a few videos of people playing with the toys from the show (Yea I am old, but watching people playing with toys is a thing now).

Anyway suddenly noticed he was going around singing things like "Jesus is my saaaaaaviour I am doomed without jesus" or some such and then singing "all fall short of the glory of god" and even "The wages of sin is death" was understandably baffled at this.

Turns out there is you tube channels that lure young kids in with toy play and the like, but then evangelizes at them textually and musically before, after, and sometimes during their videos. The one that sucked him in is a channel called "Growing Little Ones for Jesus".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Blessing yourself while passing a church is still surprisingly commonplace.

And the Angelus on RTE1, seriously?

Elemonator wrote: »
    Blessing yourself while passing a church is still surprisingly commonplace.

And the Angelus on RTE1, seriously?

I still do it. and i'm agnostic. force of habit, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

As a kid, any time we got a new car it's first journey would always be down to my nans so she could douse the thing in holy water. I never understood it really since apart from my nan none of us were remotely religious.

That said we never had a crash. Ever. When I got my first car I made my mam cover it in holy water just be safe. Never had a crash either!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Most folk should know what Noon means

I'm often listening to the radio in the car at 6 when the bongs start, but I had completely forgotten that the Angelus happens at noon as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

That said we never had a crash. Ever.

Holy water also stops elephants and rhinos attacking your car.

Don't forget vampires. Very effective against vampires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Now that you mention it.... We've never been attacked by an elephant or a rhino either...

You're really making me rethink this whole nor believing in god thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

calling prayer shenanigans is sheer disrespect. Period. And no , noon is noon and Prayer comes first; always.
    I'm honestly not 100% sure that Graces7 isn't a wind-up merchant.

Assuming you're not, genuine question: how do you reconcile these two statements:
    1. The universe is 13.7 billion years old, and contains about 100 thousand million stars in our galaxy among a universe of between 1,000,000,000,000 and 10,000,000,000,000 galaxies or about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the known universe. At least (Source).
    2. About 4000 years ago, Abraham started telling everyone there was a God that lived in heavan (Source). After which came Moses, Jesus and Mohammed.
    I mean, what was God doing in the intervening 13,699,996,000 years? What about the exoplanets that are undoubtedly orbiting the other 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars? Is there an alien equivalent? But that doesn't make sense, because God made Man in his own image? So why did He make such a big universe with so many stars?

I'm really confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Now that you mention it.... We've never been attacked by an elephant or a rhino either...

You're really making me rethink this whole nor believing in god thing.

I love Lisa Simpson's explanation for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

My Ma used to tell us that the Round end of a slice of bread was the Protestant end, we thought she was just scats, but anytime I was in her house and went to make a slice of toast there was half a slice of bread in the Pan, the round end

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

We cremated my wife's grandmother a few months back. I never realised she wasn't a god botherer until we started making arrangements. We had a lovely service in the crematorium and after the coffin disappeared the undertaker, quick as a flash, belted out a prayer.

I said it to him outside and he said that he'd never done an atheist funeral before and he wanted to make sure someone prayed for her. I thought it was very disrespectful to the deceased.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

Protestant neighbours have a sign on their tree saying Jesus loves you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ReefBreak wrote: »

Assuming you're not, genuine question: how do you reconcile these two statements:
    1. The universe is 13.7 billion years old, and contains about 100 thousand million stars in our galaxy among a universe of between 1,000,000,000,000 and 10,000,000,000,000 galaxies or about 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the known universe. At least (Source).
    2. About 4000 years ago, Abraham started telling everyone there was a God that lived in heavan (Source). After which came Moses, Jesus and Mohammed.
    I mean, what was God doing in the intervening 13,699,996,000 years? What about the exoplanets that are undoubtedly orbiting the other 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars? Is there an alien equivalent? But that doesn't make sense, because God made Man in his own image? So why did He make such a big universe with so many stars?

I'm really confused.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth His handiwork." (Psalm 19:1)

I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host. (Isaiah 45:12)

I know, it means nothing to you but just wanted to throw some biblical quotes in to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I used to work with someone like that. I'd give her a lift once in a while and it was never long before the religious mumbo jumbo came out, she knew the only God I acknowledged was the God that is Axel Rose. There was a few times when she'd talk about us praying for something, my response was always to reach for the volume knob on the radio. Can't pray if you can't hear yourself.

I used to have great fun bringing up topics like abortion and the evolution of man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

ReefBreak wrote: »
    (...)

Graces7 is genuine in her belief system. If it makes her happy leave her be. Though it is annoying when she disrespects others for not believing and adhering to the same stuff as she does.

My (catholic) grandmother used to swipe a cross with the knife on a loaf of bread before cutting it for the first time. It was something about to be grateful to have bread at all (poor background and all that).

My father, a fervent anti-church-man ("catholicism was beaten into me"), did the same, out of respect for his mother and probably out of habit.

I'm half-heartedly brought up a protestant (on my mother's wish) and lo and behold out of habit I did the knife-crossing on a fresh loaf until I moved to Ireland - mainly because there was only sliced bread anyway :D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

[/QUOTE]

Well OK then, but we put God and prayer before anything else. Always.

[/quote]

Who is 'we'? Speak for yourself there!

Advertisement