Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Martin McGuinness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

shane. wrote: »
    Nothing I'd imagine, won't even be acknowledged

Surely they have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,530 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

osarusan wrote: »
    What's going to happen in Windsor Park on Sunday night?

I give up, what's going to happen in Windsor Park on Sunday night? :)

Today is the 14th anniversary of the start of the last gulf war. So its a bit rich was the British press talk about terrorists and the loss of innocent lives.

Touché. Well pointed out. Their apologists on this website could take note also.

There does seem to be a thick skin or some kind of blind spot among some leading unionists, like Arlene Foster. Perhaps she feels she must play to the unionist gallery.

Mind you, I'm sure there are many on the unionist side who would accuse many leaders among the republican side of the same thing. It depends on which side of the fence you are on.

If she doesn't attend she better hope there is no election in the near future, she reinvigorated the republican vote last time. That would send it into the stratosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

If she doesn't attend she better hope there is no election in the near future, she reinvigorated the republican vote last time. That would send it into the stratosphere.
    I agree. She has no option but to attend.

• Advertisement

you can't leave your bigoted bile out of it.

Fratton Fred of all people accusing a poster of bigotry. This was so original from you. The sheer novelty. Who said you have no sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

As the leader of the largest Unionist party, and former First Minister, who worked alongside Mr McGuinness(albeit for a short time), she has no option BUT to attend. To do the opposite, would, in my opinion, be a PR disaster.

I agree. She has no option but to attend.

Oh she has options, she had options at the last election and chose the regressive language of hate. It remains to be seen if she and her party have learned their lesson yet or if they are just terminally hidebound.
    An interesting side show that could have big ramifications down the road.

Will the IRA give him a volley of shots?

If only to have John Bruton rush into Dáil Éireann in tears, waving a copy of the newspaper with said picture, it would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Can't we all just get along? :pac:

... Oh wait, it's After Hours. People love a good old moan lol.

• Advertisement

That will be interesting too. I would hazard a guess that Enda and the President would have needed assurances before agreeing to attend.

Won't happen while they are there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If only to have John Bruton rush into Dáil Éireann in tears, waving a copy of the newspaper with said picture, it would be worth it.

IMO they should

Not to upset anyone/anything....but to remember their commander

At the end of the day,the decision lies with his family and it should be respected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Fratton Fred of all people accusing a poster of bigotry. This was so original from you. The sheer novelty. Who said you have no sense of irony.

Martin McGuinness would be ashamed of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

IMO they should

At the end of the day,the decision lies with his family and it should be respected

An illegal (supposedly disarmed) paramilitary organisation firing their weapons in the presence of the President?

I can't see it somehow.

Surely the IRA have decommissioned all their arms no?

IMO they should

Well no not really, the PSNI cannot allow unlicensed firearms being shot in a populated area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

IMO they should

I would have thought it's a certainty? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I would have thought it's a certainty? No?

Would be a PR disaster for Sinn Féin down South.

How so??
    Mcguiness was in the ira...this isnt exactly earth shattering news,

Its a neetle sf will have to grasp irregardless anyway as many of the first wave of pira begin to die off

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well no not really, the PSNI cannot allow unlicensed firearms being shot in a populated area.

The Bogside of Derry isn't Blighty. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't get his IRA send-off. In fact I'd guess the only reason he wouldn't is if he specifically requested it didn't happen.

The PSNI will stay well away from his funeral and then go through the condemnation motions after it if/when it does happen.

• Advertisement

But but but........Surely the IRA don't have weapons anymore........

This is not the 80s...their hardly going to baton charge funerals again?

Pretty sure the inla gave a volley of gunshots to a funeral last year and the world didnt end?

How so??
    Mcguiness was in the ira...this isnt exactly earth shattering news,

Its a neetle sf will have to grasp irregardless anyway as many of the first wave of pira begin to die off

Because SF down south must disassociate itself from its past to woo more voters. Volleys of shots over the grave would send the wrong signals. Just my opinion. Maybe party strategists believe it's the right thing to do in an all Ireland context.

This is not the 80s...their hardly going to baton charge funerals again?

Pretty sure the inla gave a volley of gunshots to a funeral last year and the world didnt end?

But who is going to shoot what weapons?
    Just because the police won't interfere in a funeral, doesn't mean they can allow anybody to shoot any old guns.

But but but........Surely the IRA don't have weapons anymore........

This may expose the big lies of the peace proces
    The ira supposdly had 1000 rifles and half ton of semtex

They decommissioned 1000rifles and circa 8 ton semtex.......something deosnt add up....but who wants to grasp that nettle?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Could be a bit of trouble if they try the auld volley of gunshots at Windsor Park.

I think not doing it presents as many problems for them tbh.

I would imagine McGuiness has prepared for this and what you might see is a compromise in deference to the mixed opinions present and it being done at a less public time.

But who is going to shoot what weapons?
    Just because the police won't interfere in a funeral, doesn't mean they can allow anybody to shoot any old guns.

I'd say if it does happen it'll be outside his home rather than up at the graveyard.

I'd say if it does happen it'll be outside his home rather than up at the graveyard.

May just be a colour party and a flag ceremony too. Was at a funeral where that was done.

• Advertisement

I think not doing it presents as many problems for them tbh.

I would imagine McGuiness has prepared for this and what you might see is a compromise in deference to the mixed opinions present and it being done at a less public time.

Yeah. I'd guess that MMcG would want what was best for SF and might well have made his feelings known on the matter. It is actually quite a dilemma. Perhaps a military element to the proceedings without the volleys. No doubt the family's wishes will take precedence though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement