Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ban tractors from rush hour?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Shenshen wrote: »
    I actually tried yesterday to find another country that DOESN'T outright ban them from motorways. From what I can tell from google (I gave up after the 5th search), Ireland is the only country allowing this. But I'd be curious if someone knows off anywhere else that allows this?

Why would that matter? Can we not have our own laws as a sovereign state?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

We will do what Europe tells us to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Nobody says you can't - but why try and re-invent the wheel when someone else has already done it sucessfully?

The population in Ireland is growing, and the consequent traffic is causing problems. Wouldn't it make sense to look at countries who have been through the exact same development some 20 or 40 years ago, and check their solutions to gather information?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Nobody says you can't - but why try and re-invent the wheel when someone else has already done it sucessfully?

The population in Ireland is growing, and the consequent traffic is causing problems. Wouldn't it make sense to look at countries who have been through the exact same development some 20 or 40 years ago, and check their solutions to gather information?
    Should they not be looking at us as a country who allows it and has no accidents as a result

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Should they not be looking at us as a country who allows it and has no accidents as a result

Do you think that the number of cars using motorways in Germany is going to go down until it reaches Irish averages?
    Or do you think the number of journeys on Irish motorways is going to go up in the next years and decades until they're used to the same extend the ones in Germany are now? Which one is more likely?

There's no such thing as "empty" stretches of motorway at any time of the day in many European country, and that's the way Ireland is heading, too. At the moment, they're rather underused from what I've seen so far, but that will not be this way forever with a growing population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

If every car in the country took to the motorway we wouldn't reach those levels.

We have a very empty motorway system. Why can't we let tractors use it and keep them off the other roads

Farmers had vast amounts of their land taken in CPOs also to build the motorways. I'm not complaining about it as the roads are necessary but the least that can be done is allow farmers to use them to get around easier especially with bigger loads etc which is more difficult on smaller roads. Being able to drive at full speed (approx 55kmh in our own tractor) on a nice smooth wide road is so much easier than on bumpy badly maintained alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I actually tried yesterday to find another country that DOESN'T outright ban them from motorways. From what I can tell from google (I gave up after the 5th search), Ireland is the only country allowing this. But I'd be curious if someone knows off anywhere else that allows this?

In fairness the length of motorways in Ireland is so short and we don't have that many motorways compared to other countries. Also less traffic on Irish motorways, the odd tractor won't make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't mind the tractors to much, on country roads they're usually going slow enough that it's easy enough to overtake them once you get to a straight bit of road. It's a cock buckets that will come up behind a tractor and just decide to set up camp behind them that really annoy me. They turn a tractor into a train, if you get two of those asshats in a row following the tractor, that's it, everyone's day is ****ed.

Some of them are so bad they won't even overtake a tractor that's pulled in for them. I think those people are incompetent and shouldn't be let near a car.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ban 'em from Rush? Let's go the whole hog and ban 'em from Lusk and Skerries as well....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Do you think that the number of cars using motorways in Germany is going to go down until it reaches Irish averages?
    Or do you think the number of journeys on Irish motorways is going to go up in the next years and decades until they're used to the same extend the ones in Germany are now? Which one is more likely?

Ireland is an agricultural country. We need to drive our tractors to and from work to farm the land, its as simple as that. If you ban tractors, we'll just have to go back to using horses, is that what you want? Imagine the tailbacks then! I dont know how they farm in Germany, but I bet you its not with horses either!

Sam Kade wrote: »
    In fairness the length of motorways in Ireland is so short and we don't have that many motorways compared to other countries. Also less traffic on Irish motorways, the odd tractor won't make much difference.

Ah here, we have more tar per head of population than any other country in Europe. Its completely unnecessary.

Advertisement