Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ban tractors from rush hour?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

emaherx wrote: »
    I hear the blue ones are very dangerous.... ;) but that could just be the nut behind the wheel.

May or may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

No need to ban them. Just make them pull in when possible to let off the traffic behind them. Just common courtesy that most farmers couldn't be bothered with unfortunately. I am a part time farmer myself and I pull in. It is just pure pig ignorance letting dozens of people stack up behind you, refusing to pull in even when there is ample opportunity to safely do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

I see plenty of cars on the road regularly missing one or more lights.

And their fog light on too, what is that about.

No need to ban them. Just make them pull in when possible to let off the traffic behind them. Just common courtesy that most farmers couldn't be bothered with unfortunately. I am a part time farmer myself and I pull in. It is just pure pig ignorance letting dozens of people stack up behind you, refusing to pull in even when there is ample opportunity to safely do so.
    Agreed but also the other road users need to understand the nature of tractors size and characteristics aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I see plenty of cars on the road regularly missing one or more lights.

Fair enough point. I agree, but what is worse? A car doing the speed limit for the road at night with no back lights or a slow moving heavy tractor?

• Advertisement

Fair enough point. I agree, but what is worse? A car doing the speed limit for the road at night with no back lights or a slow moving heavy tractor?

Both are equally dangerous in my book

Reggie. wrote: »
    Once they are safe it doesn't make any difference of the rust or not. Plenty of tractors last upto 50 years

How many 50 year old cars do you see on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭emaherx

how is that relevant?
    50 year old cars are not subject to an NCT anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Whats rush hour? Between 4 and 6pm in Dublin? Same everywhere? Same all year round? Weekends too?

how is that relevant?
    50 year old cars are not subject to an NCT anyway.

I was replying to a question. I didn't bring up 50 year old vehicles.

• Advertisement

I was replying to a question. I didn't bring up 50 year old vehicles.

You replied to a statement that suggested tractors are good for 50 years and other vehicles aren't by asking how many 50 year old cars do you see on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Farmers have to get home for their dinner too!

mockingjay wrote: »
    Farmers have to get home for their dinner too!
    no we don't we eat that in the field on a bale of hay :)

Very few but they do exist but in general modern cars don't last that long.

So it's unfair to compare them together as they are completely different vehicles for different roles. I'd be more worried of an unsafe 15 yr old car on the road than an unsafe 50 yr old tractor at any time of the day.

Since the OPs concern is tractors holding up traffic then the speed factor would make cars far more dangerous

5 years old is cut off for the real silage contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Odelay

If only we could ban idiots from the interwebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Odelay wrote: »
    If only we could ban idiots from the interwebs.

I think they've been banned TO the interwebz

I think they've been banned TO the interwebz

Unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Issue with pulling in to let traffic off is trying to get back out on the road again. If you have a load behind you it is not that easy to get tractor back onto the road and up to speed again. In general it is only on poorer quality road's that you have an issue with traffic behind. However I pulled in in such a situation once and would be slow to do it again. As I tried to get back out onto road traffic used to speed up so as to get past me before I could pull out onto road again. It the same with exiting from a hard shoulder on a busy road.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I'd love to ban tractors from rush hour, but the people driving tractors are also trying to get to and from work. We could also consider banning all the suits with their new cars or truck drivers perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Yes and ban cyclists too while you're at it OP!

Or build them proper facilities. I can't stand cyclists as a motorist because they're always a hazard and difficult to pass - but it's not their fault that the facilities provided for them have the same amount of planning as a premature ejaculation.

On topic, as for banning tractors during rush hour - yes, definitely in built up areas or on commuter routes.

Where they do use the hard shoulder, by the way, it might technically be illegal but it's certainly not frowned upon. Unless it's a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

What's going to happen when the drone tractors start appearing on the roads?

sdanseo wrote: »
    On topic, as for banning tractors during rush hour - yes, definitely in built up areas or on commuter routes.

Where they do use the hard shoulder, by the way, it might technically be illegal but it's certainly not frowned upon. Unless it's a motorway.

Ban lads from working for a few hours so you can get to work??? really??

Tractor drivers can and have received penalty points for driving on the hard shoulder so not frowned upon?

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    What's going to happen when the drone tractors start appearing on the roads?

They will drive just as slow and won't break any rules like driving on hard shoulders so.......... hold up even more traffic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Issue with pulling in to let traffic off is trying to get back out on the road again. If you have a load behind you it is not that easy to get tractor back onto the road and up to speed again. In general it is only on poorer quality road's that you have an issue with traffic behind. However I pulled in in such a situation once and would be slow to do it again. As I tried to get back out onto road traffic used to speed up so as to get past me before I could pull out onto road again. It the same with exiting from a hard shoulder on a busy road.

Yeah, I understand that. Really depends on the road though. On a road where there isn't a lot of opportunities to overtake like a lot of the N52 for example it is wise to pull in and let off the traffic because eventually some suicidal nutcase will try overtaking regardless if he/she knows if it is safe to overtake or not. If we all have a bit more courtesy and common sense everything would work smoother.

Ban lads from working for a few hours so you can get to work??? really??

Tractor drivers can and have received penalty points for driving on the hard shoulder so not frowned upon?

Can the tractor not stay on the farm and the lads bring their car to work?

As for contracted tractors. Shouldn't they be using white diesel like a haulage company so as not to have an unfair advantage?

How about we ban cars at rush hour getting in the way of the vital work tractors are doing.
    Most tractors I see on the road. Wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing the NCT.

The vast majority of tractors wont have to do the NCT, it's only tractors being used for haulage. No farmer will have to NCT their tractor.
    Can the tractor not stay on the farm and the lads bring their car to work?

As for contracted tractors. Shouldn't they be using white diesel like a haulage company so as not to have an unfair advantage?

if you don't understand why tractors have to be on the road I think you really aren't worth inhaling in conversation with. How will the tractor move between fields, move corps from the fields, get different implements, go to the hardware, go to the mart etc etc etc etc.

if you don't understand why tractors have to be on yen road I think you really aren't worth inhaling in conversation with. How will the tractor move between fields, move corps from the fields, get different implements, go to the hardware, go to the mart etc etc etc etc.

It's simple, keep the tractor in the field and use a truck on the road. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

It's simple, keep the tractor in the field and use a truck on the road. :confused:

Simple except that it would make farming impossible. Imagine cutting silage with a truck..

• Advertisement

A 150hp minimum should be introduced. Wind out the pump to the hole.

Advertisement