Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ban tractors from rush hour?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭looksee

emaherx wrote: »
    I hear the blue ones are very dangerous.... ;) but that could just be the nut behind holding the wheel.

ftfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

One inconsiderate tractor driver doesn't make all tractor drivers the same. Plenty of drivers of cars shouldn't be on the road either.

Sadly sweeping generalisations have become the norm when car drivers are talking about any other segment of road user.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Someone needs to go to Specsavers. No wonder there is a tailback if you're only doing a 100 and we're trying to do 120.

Sorry about that Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sadly sweeping generalisations have become the norm when car drivers are talking about any other segment of road user.

True, but have you ever seen the queue of cars at rush hour stuck behind little old men and women sauntering along in their wee cars at 40km/h? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One inconsiderate tractor driver doesn't make all tractor drivers the same. Plenty of drivers of cars shouldn't be on the road either.

I did not say it did! Where did you read that please? Nowhere.. that was a very extreme case indeed but they do happen as that shows.

Please do not read into my words what is not there .

Living where I do I am on the roads with tractors every time I go out. fine with that on these back roads although I wish they would slow done just a little when they are on a single track road pulling a full slurry tanker as they tale too long to stop when they meet another vehicle.
    But on a road like that?

Mutual consideration is all it takes. If there is a tailback, pull in to let folk get home. Which is something I do many times every time I am out.

OK?

OK!!!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    I did not say it did! Where did you read that please? Nowhere.. that was a very extreme case indeed but they do happen as that shows.

Living where I do I am on the roads with tractors every time I go out. fine with that on these back roads although I wish they would slow done just a little when they are on a single track road pulling a full slurry tanker as they tale too long to stop when they meet another vehicle.
    But on a road like that?

Mutual consideration is all it takes. If there is a tailback, pull in to let folk get home. Which is something I do many times every time I am out.

OK?

OK!!!

Everybody else want's them to speed up. The poor Irish farmer. He just can't get a break. Speed up, slow down, too wet, too dry, too cold, too warm....

But on a road like that?

OK?

OK!!!

While I always pull aside when I can for cars to overtake if I'm in the tractor cars drivers also need to understand that not everywhere that looks ok to pull in is suitable.

As an example a tractor pulling in on an uphill section of road when pulling a load is not feasible as you need the momentum to keep up a reasonable speed on the hill and stopping dead to allows cars past will mean you have to struggle up the hill trying to get up to speed again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Urban life should be banned. This is Ireland, we are a rural country with rural people. Feck off with your urban "rush-hour".

I was actually thinking of making a trailer for passengers and pulling it with the tractor. The cost of running a car is beyond justifiable anymore, its just ridiculous. And 40Kph is plenty fast for most trips. Anyone know the legal ins-and-outs of doing something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭emaherx

But on a road like that?

OK?

OK!!!

Calm down lad.....

There was no attack on what you said there at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Farmers need to get from A to B like everyone else, in fact if not more so. Most tractors I see today are modern and well maintained. The old rust bucket ones were back in the 80s when about half of all Irish cars were dangerous bangers.

Tractors can go a lot faster these days. And not many of them clog up the main roads. They're not allowed on motorways.

People who give out about tractors holding up traffic have short memories. Back in the miserable 80s tractors regularly clogged up the goat tracks we had connecting our main cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I used to drive for a silage contractor during the silage season years ago and would always pull in to let cars pass when I could and I know it can be frustrating to be stuck behind a tractor but I also had impatient car drivers pass me around turns when they had no idea what was coming from the opposite direction.

JupiterKid wrote: »

Tractors can go a lot faster these days. And not many of them clog up the main roads. They're not allowed on motorways.

They are allowed on motorways once they are capable of going 50kmh or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

They are allowed on motorways once they are capable of going 50kmh or more.

But they don't have to actually go more than 50kmh once on the motorway, just be capable of doing that speed. There was a fatal accident on the M9 a few years ago involving a tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

But they don't have to actually go more than 50kmh once on the motorway, just be capable of doing that speed. There was a fatal accident on the M9 a few years ago involving a tractor.

involved or caused . there is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I think we need to educate more road users about tractors so that they can respect them more

I know that, just have to be capable of it. How many fatal accidents on motorways involve cars and trucks? One crash involving a tractor (not even necessarily caused it) is no reason to stop them using the motorways. If you can't see a brightly lit tractor with flashing beacons etc and safely move lane and overtake him then you should hand in your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Use the subsidies to buy a truck.

It's what most tax paying citizens would want.

Why? Trucks are expensive and it's pointless having two vehicles to do the job one can do.
    If you receive more subsidised monetary than pay tax.

Then no you are not a tax payer.

But they pay tax, so they are a tax payer, regardless of anything else.
    D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Trucks banned from 6am to 6pm
    Tractors banned from 6am to 9am and 4pm to 7pm
    Cyclists banned.

Why?

This thread is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

In fairness there are very good reasons for changing to a 4x4 when you have kids. The height is a big help for putting kids in and out of the seat etc being one example. It's a killer even for someone with a healthy back bending down to a car never mind someone with a bad back. There are many other reasons also but it's not the thread for it.

Ah stop, the ergonomics nonsense is only a lame excuse to get an SUV. How did people manage years ago when they had no other choice?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I know that, just have to be capable of it. How many fatal accidents on motorways involve cars and trucks? One crash involving a tractor (not even necessarily caused it) is no reason to stop them using the motorways. If you can't see a brightly lit tractor with flashing beacons etc and safely move lane and overtake him then you should hand in your licence.

Interesting - most tractors I come across when on the N25 do indeed have beacons on, yes. And they're quite often pulling loads that completely obstruct the beacons to any traffic coming up from behind.

Add to that much of that road is far too bendy to see something going at 30kph in any reasonable amount of time, and I really don't buy this "it's your own fault if you can't see them in time".
    As I said before, I rarely even would do the speed limit, but be 10 - 20 kph below, but I've had some very scary near-misses. I do not think it's safe to have a road where one set of traffic does 120, and another does 30.
    There are good reasons most oher countries don't allow them in dual carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Interesting - most tractors I come across when on the N25 do indeed have beacons on, yes. And they're quite often pulling loads that completely obstruct the beacons to any traffic coming up from behind.

Add to that much of that road is far too bendy to see something going at 30kph in any reasonable amount of time, and I really don't buy this "it's your own fault if you can't see them in time".
    As I said before, I rarely even would do the speed limit, but be 10 - 20 kph below, but I've had some very scary near-misses. I do not think it's safe to have a road where one set of traffic does 120, and another does 30.
    There are good reasons most oher countries don't allow them in dual carriageways.

Dual carriages don't have a speed limit of 120 only motorways do

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »

N1 north of Dundalk is Dual Carriageway and 120. Others down the country too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

What I seriously DO have issues with is them driving on dual carriageways. My particular issue personally is the N25 between Carrigtohill and Cork. The speed limit is 120kph, yet you never know when you'll come around the next bend and face the rear of a tractor trundling along at 30kph. If you're lucky, the right lane is free and you can move over, otherwise your breaks face a serious test indeed.
    I've had plenty of brown trouser moments because of this, and I rarely ever even do more than 100/110 kph anyway.

Well then you really need to open your eyes a bit. There's no part of that road that has blind bends on it. You can see hundreds of metres ahead of you anywhere on it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tractors have been banned from using motorways for a very good reason, right back to the first German autobahns 80 years ago. Having slow and fast moving traffic using a road designed for high speeds is not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's because they pay "road tax" and this admits them to an imaginary club that's solely for their use and not other road users. The amount of motorists that act like petulant school kids when their being "held up" by one class of vehicle yet will sit happily for hours in traffic being held up by other cars is amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It's because they pay "road tax" and this admits them to an imaginary club that's solely for their use and not other road users. The amount of motorists that act like petulant school kids when their being "held up" by one class of vehicle yet will sit happily for hours in traffic being held up by other cars is amazing.

Tractors are road-taxed too

Well then you really need to open your eyes a bit. There's no part of that road that has blind bends on it. You can see hundreds of metres ahead of you anywhere on it.

I never said there were blind bends. But there are plenty of places where you would not see a vehicle moving at 30 kph more than 5 seconds before you'd be on top of it.
    Exit 4 coming from Midleton would be such a spot

Reggie. wrote: »

N25 between Midleton and Cork has a speed limit of 120 kph. And from what I hear here, so do others.

I hardly ever drive any actual motorways, so can't really comment on those much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

N25 between Midleton and Cork has a speed limit of 120 kph. And from what I hear here, so do others.

I hardly ever drive any actual motorways, so can't really comment on those much.

You learn something new everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Tractors have been banned from using motorways for a very good reason, right back to the first German autobahns 80 years ago. Having slow and fast moving traffic using a road designed for high speeds is not safe.

But tractors are not banned from motorways if they can travel at 50kph.
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/its-legal-to-drive-a-tractor-and-trailer-on-the-motorway-but-theres-a-catch/

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »

I actually tried yesterday to find another country that DOESN'T outright ban them from motorways. From what I can tell from google (I gave up after the 5th search), Ireland is the only country allowing this. But I'd be curious if someone knows off anywhere else that allows this?

Advertisement