Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue 116 Crash at Blackrock, Co Mayo(Mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Mayo News have just tweeted that large debris has been found by Celtic Voyager. Hopefully this is the helicopter. It's hard to imagine what else it could be right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

sasta le wrote: »
    Would the crew have a tracker/locator device on them?

Yes, but I understand it doesn't work at depths of greater than 10m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Yes, but I understand it doesn't work at depths of greater than 10m.

Thought they would have top end gear and be easy to locate

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

Water is hard enough to get a signal true irrespective of what kit your using. But they would have top end gear

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its not about cheap gear. Its physics. Radio waves don't penetrate water that well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Thanks was wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

According to Rte..... 60 metres from the lighthouse and in 40 metres of water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Hope to god we get closure for the remaining families. Its nothing other than torment for them right now. Deepest sympathies to all involved, and especially thinking of the crews SAR colleagues. As a worker based in Dublin Airport, this has really struck a chord with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just to clarify a point of inquiry from earlier. Mark Duffy was the chief pilot at the base in Dublin. This doesn't necessarily mean he was in command of the aircraft when it went down. The confusion might have arisen as Dara was the Chief Pilot in Waterford when she was based down there during the documentary filming a few years ago.
    As to who was "the pilot" at the time of the incident, it was both of them. They each had a role to play in piloting the aircraft at all times but we won't know who was at the controls until the flight data recorders are recovered. With any luck the crew aren't far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

According to Rte..... 60 metres from the lighthouse and in 40 metres of water

any chance they clipped the lighthouse and its that, that brought them down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Would Birds congregate on Blackrock just thinking that when they initially flew over blackrock they could have startled a large number of birds which would have been directly in their flightpath when they turned around

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

That what I was thinking. But you think they would be aware of it. Considering they have some pretty good radar.

Some wreckage would be near the lighthouse surely?

Maybe they were trying to lsnd on the lighthouse island after a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I'd think that's extremely unlikely they'd be that low and there would be some damage to the lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

irishgeo wrote: »

Maybe they were trying to aiming on the lighthouse island after a problem.

Would have had time for a mayday shout then

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

How long after the black box is recovered would there be indication as to what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

irishgeo wrote: »
    That what I was thinking. But you think they would be aware of it. Considering they have some pretty good radar.

Some wreckage would be near the lighthouse surely?

Maybe they were trying to lsnd on the lighthouse island after a problem.
    According to a link I either read or heard (I can't remember which) there is wreckage on the island.
    But personnel wouldn't speculate as to how it arrived there.

The key now in my humble opinion is to get divers down to the wreck ASAP to see if the remaining crew are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

vicwatson wrote: »
    The key now in my humble opinion is to get divers down to the wreck ASAP to see if the remaining crew are there.

If the crew are with the wreckage would that indicate things would have been instant. I'm aware they're well trained in how to exit the aircraft in an emergency. Just so strange that a mayday wasn't out out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,424 ✭✭✭✭ted1

truely heart breaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

It’s in a difficult area, it’s just off the large rock called Black Rock, it’s in difficult waters. It’s in 40m of depth, so we need to find a top point and when we find top point we have a fixed position and from there we need to bring in more equipment to dive down, or use a robot to dive down and actually locate the recorder there. And the hope is that the recorder is with the wreckage.

Jurgen whyte AAI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It'd likely be apparent if they struck the lighthouse itself. That said the island itself is pretty tough looking.

Blackrock-Mayo-1-10-3-2010-J-Kelly_MainImage.jpg

Not the time for speculation though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Would have had time for a mayday shout then

Not necessarily - Aviate, Navigate, Communicate and always in that order

Regardless, We will learn in good time what happened, right now lets hope they can get to the wreckage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Does anyone know what the forecast is like for the next couple of days.

Operating a large ship for wreckage retrieval near that rock in rough seas would not be easy.

It looks like one God forsaken spot.

EDIT:
    sorry just saw image up already.

Here's hoping there is a long enough window in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Mech1

im sure that Marine Traffic "past track" ended just meters before Blackrock island, anyone got a screen capture of that track, I think it was posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

Last position of helicopter from marine traffic last night, says it was doing 90 kn, (160kph) the island pictured is blackrock lighthouse . Graphic is of a boat, but it is the helicopter.

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Not necessarily - Aviate, Navigate, Communicate and always in that order

Regardless, We will learn in good time what happened, right now lets hope they can get to the wreckage

I thought Malin Head had tried contacting SAR116 3 times beforehand. Time there to communicate a mayday. How and ever onwards we go. Tragic no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I thought Malin Head had tried contacting SAR116 3 times beforehand. Time there to communicate a mayday. How and ever onwards we go. Tragic no matter what.

Pretty sure Shannon called 3 times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I'd think that's extremely unlikely they'd be that low and there would be some damage to the lighthouse.

was more thinking about the lighthouse island as opposed to the building itself.

that map posted a few post ups makes it a possibility, the speed they were travelling at added to the fact they had just swung around means its something that plausible.

for those saying there would be signs, even barely clipping the egde of a rock with the tail would be enough to see it come down. what we do know is that it hit the water at high speed and the debris area is quite large.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You're not being very logical about it. The fact that Shannon or Malin might have tried to contact them three times and got no response means that there absolutely was no time to communicate a mayday. Otherwise they would have answered.

Look at it like this. Let's assume you lose control of your car. Do you a) grab your phone and phone someone to say "I'm losing control of my car" or do you b) turn the wheel in an effort to get control back?

I realise there were 2 pilots in the helicopter but the assumption must be that if no call for aid was made, then there was no time for it. This is not a Hollywood film where there's a long drawn out sequence of a pilot frantically crying Mayday Mayday Mayday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

was more thinking about the lighthouse island as opposed to the building itself.

that map posted a few post ups makes it a possibility, the speed they were travelling at added to the fact they had just swung around means its something that plausible.

for those saying there would be signs, even barely clipping the egde of a rock with the tail would be enough to see it come down. what we do know is that it hit the water at high speed and the debris area is quite large.

There is a helipad on that island though. Absent any other information I wonder if they were trying to reach it for any reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement