Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeal the 8th Bandwagoning

Options
  • 14-03-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭

https://www.facebook.com/FlipsideIreland/videos/673822969483538/

The views of pro-choice activists without the media airbrushing. A lot of these people's very blinkered points of view are quite counter productive to what theyre campaigning for, honestly its quite infuriating to see how unreasonable some of the women in the video were. No information to back up their attitude, complete morons. While Im sure his video is also heavily edited, and biased, and there are huge amounts of women with good reasons for campaiging . Its still disturbing to see this bandwagon effect occurring and people who just don't care about the consequences of it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Its absolutely unbelievable. This is literally life and death of another human being we're talking about. Whatever the reason, and whatever side of the debate you're on, these people are pure sociopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I couldn't get a good proper feel for what kind of counter productive infuriating morons they are because it's trying to make me log into some book or something face

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I couldn't get a good proper feel for what kind of counter productive infuriating morons they are because it's trying to make me log into some book or something face

Yeh sorry, tried to find a youtube version but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭hungry hypno toad

Facepuke?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Its absolutely unbelievable. This is literally life and death of another human being we're talking about. Whatever the reason, and whatever side of the debate you're on, these people are pure sociopaths.

No it's not. It's a clump of cells, a barely fertilised egg, being flushed out of a uterus. It's not a person, or a baby. It's not a sentient being, or a viable life. Just a ball of cells.

And, with all that in mind, what is wrong with giving women bodily autonomy? If you don't want an abortion, or you find it morally repugnant, that is fine. You don't have to have an abortion if you don't want one. But the choice we're offering to you is the same one you're denying to every other woman in Ireland. And that's what it's really all about: choice. the right to choose.

Check out this Bill Nye video about what abortion actually is. And, perhaps, stop dictating to other people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

It is heavily edited to suit the guys agenda. It's just him firing questions at a select few people and cutting them off before they've had the chance to properly reply. Granted, the ones chosen didn't have amazing responses, but how many were cut out that may have responded in a way he didn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I personal think the people who want to keep the eighth amendment should be delighted what the repeal the eighth campaign are doing because their just pushing people on the fence into becoming keeping eighth voters!

fatknacker wrote: »
    It is heavily edited to suit the guys agenda. It's just him firing questions at a select few people and cutting them off before they've had the chance to properly reply. Granted, the ones chosen didn't have amazing responses, but how many were cut out that may have responded in a way he didn't want.

As I said, it is certainly quite biased. But does give insight into the views of a group who are always portrayed as the ones in the right. And I disagree, I think his questioning of the girls we saw was reasonably fair, and practically all of them were incredibly ignorant. Embarrassingly stupid responses from most even

No it's not. It's a clump of cells, a barely fertilised egg, being flushed out of a uterus. It's not a person, or a baby. It's not a sentient being, or a viable life. Just a ball of cells.

Biology fail. Look up the scientific definition of "Life".

Anyway, stop deflecting. This thread is about the mindset of those in the video, whatever side of the debate you're on, as I've previously mentioned. You cannot honestly say these people are thinking straight. Gay witches for abortion??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I personal think the people who want to keep the eighth amendment should be delighted what the repeal the eighth campaign are doing because their just pushing people on the fence into becoming keeping eighth voters!

People said the very same about the Yes side during the marriage equality referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

I didn't really get the impression that they had "blinkered points of view" to be honest. Moreso, they were caught off guard by the faux journalism at play. The guy is clearly trying to elicit sinister soundbite responses to a complex and nuanced issue. I think most people in this video came across as evasive as the lad asking the questions had such an irritating and aggressive way of questioning them.

There will always be a spectrum with regards to issues like this. Some will want no abortion ever ever. Some will want the woman to be able to choose to terminate the pregnancy on the day before her due date. These are just opinions and it is the intended outcome of the campaign to create discourse and try to find a middle ground where those who need to terminate a pregnancy can do so safely and legally. This guy is distracting from the issue at hand by trying to bamboozle people by asking weird questions and walking away before they try to answer.

This exact thing was said over and over again during the gay marriage campaign and turned out to be completely wrong

Oh really? I've been involved in pro-choice for many years now and we're bigger than ever, stronger and more organised than ever. It's been growing rapidly for the last four years, I'd say. Society is changing.

It's often literally not

Oh really? I've been involved in pro-choice for many years now and we're bigger than ever, stronger and more organised than ever. It's been growing rapidly for the last four years, I'd say. Society is changing.

If you're pro-choice, you really should be distancing yourself from these people.

Biology fail. Look up the scientific definition of "Life".

Anyway, stop deflecting. This thread is about the mindset of those in the video, whatever side of the debate you're on, as I've previously mentioned. You cannot honestly say these people are thinking straight. Gay witches for abortion??????

I gave you the views of one of the world's most respected scientists and you accuse me of "deflecting". Funny that. You do know what an embryo is, don't you? It ain't a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

If I threw a microphone in your face and asked you even about your opinions on this thread you've started, then walked away shouting "Okkkkaaaaaayy" dismissively into my camera I'm sure you would still manage to be charming, witty and well-read in equal manner... Loads.

There is plenty of documented evidence of the pro-life side not looking so sharp too. The reality though.. is that it isn't really all that relevant. What does any other citizen owe you that you should feel satisfied by their knowledge on a certain topic? Your post reeks of "who let the women out of the kitchen?" and it's whiny and gross.

Edit: Have just seen you aren't OP. Still, I get the same vibe from you so I'm leaving it.

I gave you the views of one of the world's most respected scientists and you accuse me of "deflecting". Funny that. You do know what an embryo is, don't you? It ain't a baby.

Says who, you? Or that scientist? A human LIFE is worth more than anything else. And I could provide you with dozens of videos from top scientists saying the complete opposite of what you have posted. But I'm not going to, because that would also be deflecting. You do know what the thread is about? It ain't an abortion debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RayM wrote: »
    People said the very same about the Yes side during the marriage equality referendum.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    This exact thing was said over and over again during the gay marriage campaign and turned out to be completely wrong

Well in my experience the repeal campaign are all over the place. Some want abortion for fatal fetal abnormality, others only in cases of rape and incest and then theirs the amount of weeks which they never seem to agree on. This doesn't come across well to on the fence voters because they've no idea what the repeal people want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I don't see anything wrong with this ? There is this on both sides of the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

And, with all that in mind, what is wrong with giving women bodily autonomy? If you don't want an abortion, or you find it morally repugnant, that is fine. You don't have to have an abortion if you don't want one. But the choice we're offering to you is the same one you're denying to every other woman in Ireland. And that's what it's really all about: choice. the right to choose.

Check out this Bill Nye video about what abortion actually is. And, perhaps, stop dictating to other people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies.

Did you watch the video? They were saying that it's fine to abort the baby one week or one day, before it's due.
    That's not just a clump of cells.

Did you watch the video? They were saying that it's fine to abort the baby one week or one day, before it's due.

They also sampled an absolutely tiny portion of pro-choicers, I doubt this has any bearing on the mass view of the pro-choice side. Media shock as usual.

There's no talking to some people. Sociopaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

Abortion is happening no amount of badly edit propaganda changes the fact that women from this country are been treated like second class citizens been forced to travel to another country for a simple medical procedure. If pro life campaigners care so much about human life why aren't they protesting at Tuam?

Spudgun wrote: »
    Abortion is happening no amount of badly edit propaganda changes the fact that women from this country are been treated like second class citizens been forced to travel to another country for a simple medical procedure. If pro life campaigners care so much about human life why aren't they protesting at Tuam?

I am of the same opinion, it seems that once a child is born it's life has less value.

Spudgun wrote: »

In Tuam, a charitable organisation tried to save human life and failed. Abortion is the deliberate ending of human life. Big difference.

Where exactly does it say that? Nye goes through the process of conception, the moral point of pro-choice, the science behind it and then tells everyone to butt out of women's affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

In Tuam, a charitable organisation tried to save human life and failed. Abortion is the deliberate ending of human life. Big difference.
    OH **** OFF they were selling babies

In Tuam, a charitable organisation tried to save human life and failed.

Presumably the charitable organisation can account for all the donations paid when the babies were sold.
    Abortion is the deliberate ending of human life. Big difference.

As is malnutrition, starvation, drug trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭bennyl10

A charitable organisation that threw that life, literally, in a sewage pipe.

An embryo/cell is not a human life.

Advertisement