Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeal the 8th Bandwagoning

Options

Comments

In Tuam, a charitable organisation tried to save human life and failed. Abortion is the deliberate ending of human life. Big difference.

Hahahahahaha....

Sorry, are you serious? They obviously weren't trying very hard with a mortality rate many times higher than the national average. Not to mention all the babies they pretended were dead and then sold to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

In Tuam, a charitable organisation tried to save human life and failed. Abortion is the deliberate ending of human life. Big difference.

That is literally the funniest thing I've read all day. People who terminate pregnancies even before the "life" becomes viable are "sociopaths". Yet people who let living, breathing human children die are "charitable" and "save human life". Who're you kidding? You've utterly discredited all your espoused beliefs in that one comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

bennyl10 wrote: »
    A charitable organisation that threw that life, literally, in a sewage pipe.

An embryo/cell is not a human life.

All anyone has to ask of anyone wearing a Repeal jumper or carrying a placard is ask them what cut off date they prefer for abortion .

infogiver wrote: »
    All anyone has to ask of anyone wearing a Repeal jumper or carrying a placard is ask them what cut off date they prefer for abortion .

To what ends? What do you think that will prove? Every single person who supports repealing the 8th or extending the UK abortion act agrees on one fundamental thing: all women deserve to have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I'm pro- choice, and I feel the girls in that video are utterly offensive and moronic. Shouting for the sake of shouting. The militance is so off puttng for a campaign that should be respectful, reasoned and sympathetic. Aborting a baby a week before it's due? She thinks that's okay? That makes me feel a bit sick to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

anna080 wrote: »
    I'm pro- choice, and I feel the girls in that video are utterly offensive and moronic. Shouting for the sake of shouting. The militance is so off puttng for a campaign that should be respectful, reasoned and sympathetic. Aborting a baby a week before it's due? She thinks that's okay? That makes me feel a bit sick to be honest.

The thing about videos is you never see the parts that have been cut or the parts that have been deliberately omitted. That video showed a handful of people, a tiny tinsey portion of "pro-lifers".

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Woodhenge

So Nye's point is that some fertilised eggs do not implant and even some that do fail to develop. People die for all sorts of reasons, so murder is just another headstone for the graveyard? That's really his point on abortions, even after weeks or months of gestation? That's not a 'science' point, that's a 'I'm personally comfortable with ending life at x weeks' point.

We've tried "being nice" and being "polite". It gets you nowhere. You have to make your voice heard, you have to take a stand otherwise the campaign will be totally ignored. It's no good saying "Protest" and then adding, "but wait! Not like that!"

wakka12 wrote: »
    This exact thing was said over and over again during the gay marriage campaign and turned out to be completely wrong

I hope you are right but I fear people will be pushed to the other side this time. The repeal side are running a very bad campaign and I am a repeal voter.

Woodhenge wrote: »
    So Nye's point is that some fertilised eggs do not implant and even some that do fail to develop. People die for all sorts of reasons, so murder is just another headstone for the graveyard? That's really his point on abortions, even after weeks or months of gestation? That's not a 'science' point, that's a 'I'm personally comfortable with ending life at x weeks' point.

He's saying an embryo is not a viable human life, so butt out of women's bodies.

• Advertisement

To what ends? What do you think that will prove? Every single person who supports repealing the 8th or extending the UK abortion act agrees on one fundamental thing: all women deserve to have a choice.

It's not just "all women deserve to have a choice ".
    It's "I 100% support every woman in the choice that she makes".
    What a lot of people actually mean is "I 100% support every woman in the choice that she makes AS LONG AS SHE MAKES IT BEFORE SHES 12 weeks pregnant ".
    If you point out that's just a little bit more then 25% support then it's starts to get a bit stressful.

We've tried "being nice" and being "polite". It gets you nowhere. You have to make your voice heard, you have to take a stand otherwise the campaign will be totally ignored. It's no good saying "Protest" and then adding, "but wait! Not like that!"

Well my thoughts and sympathies are with the women who wanted more than anything to carry a baby, but whose pregnancies were not viable for whatever reason and had to terminate abroad. How are those women meant to relate to a group of 16 years olds running around with fanny hats on and crude signs about fcuking politicians? The Repeal is so needlessly alienating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

https://www.facebook.com/FlipsideIreland/videos/673822969483538/

The views of pro-choice activists without the media airbrushing.

Sure that video isn't airbrushed, more Microsoft Paint. Just someone else's reframing, but done ham fisted as ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,306 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I hope you are right but I fear people will be pushed to the other side this time. The repeal side are running a very bad campaign and I am a repeal voter.
    During the marriage referendum the yes and no campaign knew what they wanted. So it was a clear choice on what you were voting for. If you ask some of the people in involved in the repeal campaign what they wanted they'd have different opinions.
    Whilst the people who want to keep the eight are all on the same page!

You do know that if the 8th was repealed tomorrow, abortion on demand would still be illegal in this country under the 2013 PLPA, you know that right?

He's saying an embryo is not a viable human life, so butt out of women's bodies.
    If viability means self-supporting then a newborn is no more viable than an embryo. Human infants will die quite quickly if not given food, assistance and care.

Well my thoughts and sympathies are with the women who wanted more than anything to carry a baby, but whose pregnancies were not viable for whatever reason and had to terminate abroad. How are those women meant to relate to a group of 16 years olds running around with fanny hats on and crude signs about fcuking politicians? The Repeal is so needlessly alienating.

The Repeal side knew they were never ever going to get a big crowd of fully grown up real women to come out and March so they had to take the teenagers out of college to bulk out the crowd for the cameras.

All our thoughts and sympathies would be with anyone who could not carry a pregnancy to term. In essence, they have not chosen to end their pregnancy; it has in fact been forced on them by a cruel twist of nature. What's more cruel is that they're forced to go to England, or they're stuck in a terrible limbo here in Ireland. Rape and sexual abuse victims are others who find this whole campaign triggering.

But the pro-choice campaign must make noise and be as visible as possible. It must make waves, or it will be under rug swept yet again. We can't afford to let that happen, otherwise the suffering will continue. If the state didn't continue to impose these draconian laws, then none of us would be in this terrible situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭.........

That is literally the funniest thing I've read all day. People who terminate pregnancies even before the "life" becomes viable are "sociopaths". Yet people who let living, breathing human children die are "charitable" and "save human life". Who're you kidding? You've utterly discredited all your espoused beliefs in that one comment.

Ironically, if they had killed kids before they could be born, they would have gotten away with it in today's spin, and be held up as model pro choice pioneers.

Woodhenge wrote: »
    If viability means self-supporting then a newborn is no more viable than an embryo. Human infants will die quite quickly if not given food, assistance and care.

That's completely different and I get the feeling you're being deliberately obtuse. The baby can survive beyond the womb. the embryo most certainly can't. It's just a clump of cells. Same for the foetus up to 24 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

https://www.facebook.com/FlipsideIreland/videos/673822969483538/

The views of pro-choice activists without the media airbrushing. A lot of these people's very blinkered points of view are quite counter productive to what theyre campaigning for, honestly its quite infuriating to see how unreasonable some of the women in the video were. No information to back up their attitude, complete morons. While Im sure his video is also heavily edited, and biased, and there are huge amounts of women with good reasons for campaiging . Its still disturbing to see this bandwagon effect occurring and people who just don't care about the consequences of it

I think wanting a say in your own body is good reason enough

......... wrote: »
    Ironically, if they had killed kids before they could be born, they would have gotten away with it in today's spin, and be held up as model pro choice pioneers.

Because they wouldn't be "babies" or "children". They would have been embryos or foetuses. That's really not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

infogiver wrote: »
    The Repeal side knew they were never ever going to get a big crowd of fully grown up real women to come out and March so they had to take the teenagers out of college to bulk out the crowd for the cameras.

Wow is that what you think of college students? Impressionable, no voice, how dare they have an opinion. Granted they are probably the most likely demographic to be in an undesirable position should they become pregnant.. Oh, no wait lets go ask all those who the decision doesn't affect directly like those who are well past their pregnancy days, I suppose that's not an issue - maybe it's the pro-life side bringing them out thats bulking up the cameras?

Because they wouldn't be "babies" or "children". They would have been embryos or foetuses. That's really not the same thing.

still robbing and terminating another human life, no matter how you spin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nothing like an abortion thread to re-activate accounts with 6 posts total

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

The irony is lost on them.

Women im Texas are fighting for the right to flush their abortions in the the sewers. Hailed as progress by certsin sections of the pro repeal campaign here

still robbing and terminating another human life, no matter how you spin it.

No it's not. An embryo is not a child, no more than the eggs in your kitchen are chickens.

No it's not. An embryo is not a child, no more than the eggs in your kitchen are chickens.

surely you know when human life begins, and surely you can tell the difference between an unfertilized chicken egg and a human life ? because most educated adults can, and are not fooled otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I guess its a bit of a different situation as well. The last referendum was just people getting married, didnt really affect many people all that much,this involved the life (in many people's opinion) of a child, and health issues of mothers, etc , just a lot more complex and serious with much bigger moral questions.

• Advertisement

That's completely different and I get the feeling you're being deliberately obtuse. The baby can survive beyond the womb. the embryo most certainly can't. It's just a clump of cells. Same for the foetus up to 24 weeks.

You are the one claiming science backs up the pro-choice argument, so let's be logical for once and reason it out. The embryo that isn't aborted can survive in the womb and the outside world if left to develop. The newborn can survive infancy if given adequate care. I don't see the difference here? Newborns can die of disease or complications during birth, the logic of Nye's argument is that infanticide is therefore permissible if that is the mothers choice.

Advertisement